Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Made it through the first match

So I shot my first match yesterday and it was a bit bumpy I spose.

First stage was an unloaded table start where you could run up to 7 targets and shoot 3 at each. (Bear in mind o figured ahh I only need 3 mags for this, 2 in my belt and one on the table gun I had room for 4 on my belt) On the buzzer I grabbed the gun, taking care to not send it flying across the table onto the ground, loaded the magazine, chambered a round and sprinted to about 4 yards. Little did I know that I sprinted too fast for my mags and I had one go flying. I thought it was the one in my gun so I grabbed another one from my belt and to my dismay I found that my gun already had a magazine in it..so I dropped that on the ground. By the time I got to the last array I had no bullets and had to hunt for the other magazine. Total train wreck. But hey no DQ 

Second stage wasn't to bad after I had learned to crank down the racer mag pouches. Them suckers were not getting away now. Also I had a full belt of mags. I ended up shooting a no shoot but oh well. 

3rd stage was worse.

Had 10 steel targets 12-15 yards and I went 9-9 but missed the tenth and discover that I had ran the gun dry. I picked literally the only mag on my person that had 10 rounds in it. Loaded a new mag chambered a round and missed. Had a malfunction because I didn't seat the magazine fully, cleared it and finished the stage. Lesson learned load all your mags and verify they are full. 

Last stage was the qualifier 2 shots each on 3 targets reload and 2 more shots on the 3 targets. First 6 shots went well I reloaded shot on the first Target and had a malfunction. Due to a poorly seated magazine. Cleared it and kinda forgot what Target I was shooting and how many rounds I had shot. It was Virginia count. I shot 5 more shots and ULSC. Turns out that I had shot the correct number of rounds but the RO saw 5 hits on one Target and 4 on the others. So I got a procedural. I had video of the stage and I shot 8 rounds. I think one of the stickers fell off and made it look like I shot 13 rounds. Oh well life happens I spose.

All in all I had a blast and best of all no DQs. It's kinda annoying that there were so many small mistakes that honestly cost me a ton of time but they were all lessons learned and I know what to fix next time. I definitely know I could've shot alot better.

However, the people there were great and super helpful. Can't wait to shoot my next match. I'm hooked

5 hours ago, jschroep said:

However, the people there were great and super helpful. Can't wait to shoot my next match. I'm hooked

We all have first Match stories. I have a few bumpy Matches for sure. Good that you are hooked. Get things worked out, learn from your mistakes. It does actually get better. Happy Trails.

Glad you enjoyed it! 

Quick tip. If you can'T seat your mags reliably every time, load one less round in them. Also, in dry fire, use dummy rounds in your mags for weight and resistance when seating.

Good luck on your journey.  

Here's another one for you. When you collect up your mags at the end of a stage, never put them back in the mag pouch. Keep them in your pocket or hand until you've reloaded them. Sucks to reload to a 3 round mag on the next stage. Been there. 

I think I might also get the extended base pads too. Do magazines get broken in as time goes on? Fitting that 17th in there just makes them so tight. I will probably load 16 next time. Also doesn't help that I don't usually load up to 17 in a mag when I go the range. 

Next time should be a bit smoother I'm hoping. Gotta start dryfiring and getting reload practice in.

9 minutes ago, jschroep said:

X5 legion in carry optics. Ultimately I want to get into open so I figured getting used to a dot would be nice. 

Get the mags set up to feed 20+ rounds, then load your reloads one round below their maximum capacity so that they’ll click in with a gentle insertion. 👍

I don’t speak SIG, but my Walther mags are set to hold a *reloadable* 23, which means they’ll seat in the gun without a heavy clubbing. Click in easy as you please, but in most platforms 23 takes some serious tuning. 21-22 is cake.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 3/6/2020 at 12:30 AM, jschroep said:

Which base pads do you recommend? 

If you have the Legion x5, get some Henning +6 extensions with the Grams followers.  They will make your 17rd mags into 23 reloadable.  I can fit 23 now, but 22 is pretty comfortable.  Plus, the extension gives you a little more "meat" to grab onto when going for a reload.

• 2 weeks later...

You definitely want to maximize the capacity of your magazines through base pads and followers. Note that Grams followers will not lock the slide back when the mag is empty, but they give you one more round. Its a trade off. The extra capacity will give you greater flexibly in where you plan to conduct your reload and on some stages eliminate the need to reload.  

Once you've got this done, your as competitive as everyone else (gear wise).