Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
cperazza

Recoil Spring / Mainspring Recommendations

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Couldn't find the old thread.

 

What recoil and mainspring you guys use and recommend?

- Brand: Wolff, SVI, ISMI

- Lbs

 -- Recoil: 11 lbs

 -- Mainspring: 17 / 19 / 21 lbs

 

How often do you change them?  How you tell is time to change them?

 

Gun: 

- Atlas Gunworks 2011 Nemesis 40 Cal Major Limited (Main one trying to replace springs)

- Cheely 2011 40 Cal Major Limited

 

Ammo:

- NC Shooters 200 gr PF 173

- Precision Delta 180 gr PF 171

 

Note: Until I start reloading, then will try to stay PF 169-170.

Edited by cperazza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That all depends on what caliber you are shooting and what power factor.  Need more information.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MadBomber said:

That all depends on what caliber you are shooting and what power factor.  Need more information.....

2011 Atlas Nemesis Limited

40 Cal Major

- NC Shooters 200 gr PF 173

- Precision Delta 180 gr PF 171

 

Note: Until I start reloading, then will try to stay PF 169-170.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

11/13,  19

Thanks...Dawson recommends 13 lbs.  I tried 10 lbs and 12 lbs springs.

- 200 gr PF 173: Both springs ran good, 12 lbs was better.

- 180 gr PF 171: 12 lbs spring was better.

 

Might get a 13 lbs to try...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always liked 12lbs recoil spring and 19lbs mainspring for 40cal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 or 13 conventional with a 19 lb main ,168-172PF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For 172 PF loads I started with a 14 lb. recoil spring and a 17 lb.c mainspring.  The gun felt better with a 12.5 lb. recoil spring and a 19 lb. mainspring.  I have noticed no difference in quality or longevity between ISMI and Wolff springs.  I tend to use ISMI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cperazza said:

2011 Atlas Nemesis Limited

40 Cal Major

 

Your best bet is to contact Adam at Atlas Guns. They build their guns to run flawlessly. So see what they recommend, or what came in the gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Postal Bob said:

 

Your best bet is to contact Adam at Atlas Guns. They build their guns to run flawlessly. So see what they recommend, or what came in the gun.

@Postal Bob Tracking...Adam's answer:

- Recoil Spring: 11 lbs non-variable

- Mainspring: 17 lbs 

- Recommended PF: 169-170

 

NC Shooter's 200 gr 40 Long run PF 173 plus on my Nemesis.  .

 

I am happy with the feedback.  When I start reloading, i would be able to load for PF 169-170. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, zzt said:

For 172 PF loads I started with a 14 lb. recoil spring and a 17 lb.c mainspring.  The gun felt better with a 12.5 lb. recoil spring and a 19 lb. mainspring.  I have noticed no difference in quality or longevity between ISMI and Wolff springs.  I tend to use ISMI.

 

7 hours ago, Yeti said:

12 or 13 conventional with a 19 lb main ,168-172PF

 

7 hours ago, ParaGunner said:

I always liked 12lbs recoil spring and 19lbs mainspring for 40cal.

 

Thanks for the feedback!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, cperazza said:

@Postal Bob Tracking...Adam's answer:

- Recoil Spring: 11 lbs non-variable

- Mainspring: 17 lbs 

- Recommended PF: 169-170

 

NC Shooter's 200 gr 40 Long run PF 173 plus on my Nemesis.  .

 

I am happy with the feedback.  When I start reloading, i would be able to load for PF 169-170. 

Adam tends to use lighter than normal recoil springs. In my 1911 .40 cal he built for me, he uses a 10lb spring. But, he also built it to use a shock buffer. And I've tried other weight springs, but the 10 lb runs best. Probably because of the shock buffer. 

Does your gun use a shock buffer? I would think it's possible as he's using a light recoil spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Postal Bob said:

Adam tends to use lighter than normal recoil springs. In my 1911 .40 cal he built for me, he uses a 10lb spring. But, he also built it to use a shock buffer. And I've tried other weight springs, but the 10 lb runs best. Probably because of the shock buffer. 

Does your gun use a shock buffer? I would think it's possible as he's using a light recoil spring.

 

Correct there is a Wilson Combat SHOK-BUFF on the Nemesis and on the other Atlas I have owned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here is a great video by Charlie Perez @CHA-LEE regarding recoil spring and mainspring weights as well as FP stop profile and recoil impulse.

 

Part 1:

Spring and FPS technical discussion part 1

 

Part 2:

Spring and FPS technical discussion part 2

 

Running Wolff 13/19 with CP buff in my 4" 2011. Was running 12/17 but prefer the new set up.

Edited by forty5cal1911

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2020 at 10:46 PM, cperazza said:

How often do you change them?  How you tell is time to change them?

 

Mainsprings (hammer springs) never wear out.

 

Opinions vary on when to change recoil springs.  Some say every 2,500 rounds, some say every 5,000 rounds.  I change mine when I notice sluggish forward movement of the slide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2020 at 4:10 PM, cperazza said:

@Postal Bob Tracking...Adam's answer:

- Recoil Spring: 11 lbs non-variable

- Mainspring: 17 lbs 

- Recommended PF: 169-170

Those are the spring weights that I'm running in my 2 STIs, with 180gr bullets 

My PF is in the low 170's.  Don't want to chance getting moved to minor over a few PFs points, that you really cannot feel at speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2020 at 2:35 PM, forty5cal1911 said:

Here is a great video by Charlie Perez @CHA-LEE regarding recoil spring and mainspring weights as well as FP stop profile and recoil impulse.

 

Part 1:

Spring and FPS technical discussion part 1

 

Part 2:

Spring and FPS technical discussion part 2

 

Running Wolff 13/19 with CP buff in my 4" 2011. Was running 12/17 but prefer the new set up.

@forty5cal1911 very helpful, thanks for the feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Light mainsprings (≤17 lb.) tend to give a mushy trigger.  Heavier is definitely crisper.  I'm currently running 12/19 in my 5.4" SV limited gun (.40).  Single stack .40 I run 13/19 and single stack 9 I run 9/19.  For recoil springs, I prefer standard v. variable, and find Wolff to be more consistent in quality and accurate in ratings vs. ISMI.

Edited by ltdmstr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2020 at 9:47 PM, Steve in Allentown PA said:

 

Mainsprings (hammer springs) never wear out.

 

Opinions vary on when to change recoil springs.  Some say every 2,500 rounds, some say every 5,000 rounds.  I change mine when I notice sluggish forward movement of the slide.

Thanks for the feedback.

 

On 3/6/2020 at 9:48 PM, 427Cobra said:

12/17, replace often

Thanks for the feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Light mainsprings (≤17 lb.) tend to give a mushy trigger.  Heavier is definitely crisper.  I'm currently running 12/19 in my 5.4" SV limited gun (.40).  Single stack .40 I run 13/19 and single stack 9 I run 9/19.  For recoil springs, I prefer standard v. variable, and find Wolff to be more consistent in quality and accurate in ratings vs. ISMI.

According to Matt, my Cheely Limited uses 12/17 and it has a pretty crisp trigger.

 

Definitely would like to try a 11/19, 12/19 or 13/19 combo and experience the difference.  Might try some variable recoil springs.

Edited by cperazza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get an extended firing pin.  Some gunsmith put in a light MS to get a lighter trigger feel. 

I had some Coast Guard 40 s&W surplus ammo that did not like a lighter MS.  Went to an extended FP and the problem was solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Atlas Nemesis / Sight Block Owners, 

 

Current Nemesis recoil spring and mainspring 11/17 w/ shock buffer PF169-170.

 

Tried a different combination PF 171-173:

10/17, 12/17, 10/19, 11/19, 12/19?

 

---------------------Added---------------------

I will be trying:

Fixed:

- 10/17, 11/17(builder recommended), 12/17

- 10/19, 11/19, 12/10

Variable:

- 11/17, 12/17, 13/17

- 11/19, 12/10, 13/19

Edited by cperazza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So tested :

Fixed:

10/17, 11/17(builder recommended), 12/17

- 10/19, 11/19, 12/10

Variable:

- 11/17, 12/17, 13/17

- 11/19, 12/19, 13/19

 

Limited testing...MS 17 and shock buffer return to zero group at 10 yards - 10 rounds total per recoil spring combination:

  -- 5 at a 2x2 circle in the ready semi fast

  -- 5 at the USPSA target as fast as possible from draw position)

 

Best results;

- Fixed: 10/17, 11/17

- Variable: 11/17, 12/17 (smallest group)

 

I had limited time at the range.  More testing to follow.

Edited by cperazza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, in the end it pretty much is best with what the builder(Atlas) put in it. Though you state the builder uses a fixed spring, I always found variable spring best, as your test results show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...