Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadoww II optic ready version

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can find one at all these days, it's a good deal.  Most of the FFL distributors are out of stock.

15 hours ago, shred said:

If you can find one at all these days, it's a good deal.  Most of the FFL distributors are out of stock.

My favorite game right now is to call and ask FFL's if they have a Gen 5 Glock 19 in stock. Then I ask my real question but we both get a laugh generally. 

Another couple hundred rounds and a few more days of on mine and I'm really digging CO. This whole red dot division without the abusive comps is really enjoyable. 

Picture2.jpg

On 6/7/2020 at 8:19 AM, lacivilian said:

Harder impact when the slide bottoms out against the frame. Polymer flexes and helps “cushion” the impact. Do a little digging on here and else where and you’ll see steel frame guns destroy dots a much more significant pace than polymer guns. 

Dubious theory backed up by anecdotal evidence.

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Wow, when ever I play with that on the time it's much slower. 

That's why it's an individual thing.

Hand size and strength (again, individual variables) probably have a significant amount of influence on which one is fastest for you, me, or someone else.

1 hour ago, SGT_Schultz said:

That's why it's an individual thing.

Hand size and strength (again, individual variables) probably have a significant amount of influence on which one is fastest for you, me, or someone else.

I guess a plus to the gun having a optic is it'll give you plenty to hold on too.

Cocking serrations aren't really needed. My SS gun doesn't have any on the front and I still wrack from there. But, like you said it depends on other variables. Some guns take almost no effort to wrack. 

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

I guess a plus to the gun having a optic is it'll give you plenty to hold on too.

Cocking serrations aren't really needed. My SS gun doesn't have any on the front and I still wrack from there. But, like you said it depends on other variables. Some guns take almost no effort to wrack. 

My P-10F and 75BD are super easy to rack from the front.  My P-07 and P-09 are not.  So I do them all from behind............

• 1 month later...

Got my Shadow 2 OR yesterday.  Shipped in from out of state.  Picked up at my FFL.  Brought oil and some rounds to test it out.  When I got my TSO it was ready to run, seemed like it was oiled in all the right places and no excessive grease that I remember.  This wasn't the case with the Shadow 2 OR.  It was dry in the places that need oil, or had a light grease on those areas.  And there was some excessive grease esp around and in the slide release areas.  No big deal, and what seems reasonable.

But here is where the problem came in.  I plunk tested my minor pf reloads built for the TSO and most from the batch I brought did not pass.  I was pretty surprised by that.  Now given, they were HAP 125gr, which are notorious for having to load short, but still.   I expected that the chambers would be the same profile.  Considering that some of the rounds did pass, I'm guessing I may just be able to load 0.005 shorter and be fine for both guns.  

My Berry's RN 115gr Steel Challenge loads made for the TSO plunked fine.

The plan will be to have loads for each anyway.  Esp as the barrel length is 1/2" different.  

But I like to load so that at least everything plunks in the 3 primary guns.

Disclosure: New shooter/new reloader.  

Many CIP-chambered (ie: Euro) pistols have shorter throats than US SAAMI-spec.  You can either load shorter or ream the barrel.

Also look at your crimp.  I've seen several S2's that need a little more crimp to plunk well.  Also can be fixed with reaming or adjusting dies.

Many CIP-chambered (ie: Euro) pistols have shorter throats than US SAAMI-spec.  You can either load shorter or ream the barrel.

Also look at your crimp.  I've seen several S2's that need a little more crimp to plunk well.  Also can be fixed with reaming or adjusting dies.

Thanks shred. I’ll check my crimp. I’m keenly aware that the CZ’s have a shorter throat. I just wasn’t expecting my 2 competition CZ’s to have different throats.

Based on my experience with them and making and supporting whole lot of case gauges, CZ is like most manufacturers and runs the chamber-making tooling until it wears down before replacing it.  So luck of the draw if you get a chamber on the large side of the tolerance spec made with new tools or small side from worn tools or somewhere in between. 

(This is another reason to tweak on the crimp to see if that does anything.  That sharp corner is one of the first things to wear down on the tools, plus I get a lot of "this round doesn't fit the gauge" rounds in from reloaders with case flare still showing.  CIP-spec barrels tolerate that a lot less than SAAMI.)

FWIW, In the handful I've reamed, I've not noticed any loss of accuracy.

30 minutes ago, belus said:

I do!

That doesn't sound like he was racking from the front. He had his hand over the ejection port, when you rack from the front you do not cover the ejection port with your hand. 

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

That doesn't sound like he was racking from the front. He had his hand over the ejection port, when you rack from the front you do not cover the ejection port with your hand. 

Do you rack from underneath when on the clock? I can't say I've tried that, but it doesn't sound faster.

Or do you twist your hand so that your thumb and forefinger are closer to the ejection port?

My abductor pollicis brevis muscle doesn't totally cover the ejection port when racking from the front, but there's enough of it in the way to get embedded with powder during a detonation as shown in the pictures I posted.

I now just twist my strong hand to turn the gun into the weak side. It puts my weak hand right on the rear cocking serrations. It feels like a more efficient movement and I don't have to worry about a worse detonation injury.

Edited by belus
13 minutes ago, belus said:

Do you rack from underneath when on the clock? I can't say I've tried that, but it doesn't sound faster.

Or do you twist your hand so that your thumb and forefinger are closer to the ejection port?

My abductor pollicis brevis muscle doesn't totally cover the ejection port when racking from the front, but there's enough of it in the way to get embedded with powder during a detonation as shown in the pictures I posted.

I now just twist my strong hand to turn the gun into the weak side. It puts my weak hand right on the rear cocking serrations. It feels like a more efficient movement and I don't have to worry about a worse detonation injury.

I turn the gun on it's side and dig the web of my hand into the top of the slide just behind the front sight. Ejection port is clear. When I let go of the slide I just turn the gun back vertical and reacquire my grip.

Based on my experience with them and making and supporting whole lot of case gauges, CZ is like most manufacturers and runs the chamber-making tooling until it wears down before replacing it.  So luck of the draw if you get a chamber on the large side of the tolerance spec made with new tools or small side from worn tools or somewhere in between. 

(This is another reason to tweak on the crimp to see if that does anything.  That sharp corner is one of the first things to wear down on the tools, plus I get a lot of "this round doesn't fit the gauge" rounds in from reloaders with case flare still showing.  CIP-spec barrels tolerate that a lot less than SAAMI.)

FWIW, In the handful I've reamed, I've not noticed any loss of accuracy.

Good to know.

With HAP 125, TSO plunked at 1.078, S2 OR was 1.064.
  • 1 month later...

Here is a link to the CHPWS plate that I have on my OR with an SRO.  Works perfect, fits perfect.  There is not a dovetail.  

Only issue I had was the Loctite they sent with it.  Following all instructions, it did not work.  Replaced with Blue standard loctite and works perfectly.

http://chpws.com/product/v4-mil-leo-cz-p-10-trijicon-rmr-holosun-407c-407c-v2-507c-507c-v2-508t-and-508t-v2