Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster Wear on Legion?

zhunter

Mine is right there also. I have two 320's an original x5 and the Legion, the x5 looks a lot better and is older. I think the finish on the Legion, which is different, is way softer. Maybe it will scare your comp by showing them you actually practice.

51 minutes ago, zhunter said:

Has anyone seen holster wear like this?  This is from 4 weeks of dry fire.  

939DBB5A-3EDA-47E1-A6FF-7889EDF14F8B.jpeg

E28573B0-D0EE-4403-895C-DE2284C5E4DB.jpeg

You must be forgetting to lube your holster. Try axle grease. 😜 Good to hear Sig is interested in fixing this. 

5 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Send it back? It was just beginning to look good.

I actively dislike the look of immaculate guns. Tools look much better when they look suitably broken in, in my opinion. :) 

My Legion, which is only 4-5 months old, is looking very much similar to all of yours....but I doubt I would send it back for a cosmetic touch-up. Like MemphisMechanic said, it's a tool and new tools look better, suitably broken in...!!! 👍

8 hours ago, steven37 said:

what holster are you using?

RHT

7 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Send it back? It was just beginning to look good.

I actively dislike the look of immaculate guns. Tools look much better when they look suitably broken in, in my opinion. :) 

7 hours ago, psyops said:

My Legion, which is only 4-5 months old, is looking very much similar to all of yours....but I doubt I would send it back for a cosmetic touch-up. Like MemphisMechanic said, it's a tool and new tools look better, suitably broken in...!!! 👍

The Sig CS rep was concerned about the exposed metal on the slide.  I am ALL for a gun that looks used and broken in, but there is a reason slides have coatings/finishes on them, to protect them from the elements.  In a short time the entire coating has come off in the hotspots.

2 hours ago, zhunter said:

I am ALL for a gun that looks used and broken in, but there is a reason slides have coatings/finishes on them, to protect them from the elements.

All of my comp guns have had vastly more bare steel on the corners of the slide where the holster wore the finish down. None of those are rust buckets. :) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

7 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

All of my comp guns have had vastly more bare steel on the corners of the slide where the holster wore the finish down. None of those are rust buckets. :) 

Well if you dry fire them enough you just wear the rust off with the holster right? 🤣

If it were me (and I'm well on my way with my Legion), I wouldn't bother getting a new slide from Sig.  I do get wanting Sig to have a better finish...and to make it right, but a new slide will have the same coating.  

I would go get a DLC coating on it to protect the underlying metal and use the crap out of it.  It's $100 for the slide.  

http://www.jabuie.com/ionbond.html

But if you aren't sure you'll stick with this pistol, maybe not worth it. 

Edited by uhmeebuh

10 hours ago, uhmeebuh said:

If it were me (and I'm well on my way with my Legion), I wouldn't both getting a new slide from Sig.  I do get wanting Sig to have a better finish and to make it right but a new slide will have the same coating.  

I would go get a DLC coating on it to protect the underlying metal and use the crap out of it.  It's $100 for the slide.  

http://www.jabuie.com/ionbond.html

But if you aren't sure you'll stick with this pistol, maybe not worth it. 

That is certainly a great option.  I had a custom 1911 done in DLC and it was an amazing finish

• 2 weeks later...

My X-Five is doing the same thing with my RHT level 2 holster. The t-nuts for the mount and the hood are right in path of the slide when I re-holstered. At first, I had Kydex shavings from the front sight and thought it was just Kydex residue being rubbed in.

After a cleaning, I noticed scrapes in the slide. I wish I realized it sooner so I could have applied some adhesive felt or cloth tape to stop further damage.

It’s superficial, but I had early thoughts of selling the gun. I guess she’s a keeper, now.
b54ce865bbff2de3f01bc44e93faf222.jpg

89347e22876b00fdb56e596dafb93ef4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a new legion, recieved my holster tonight, already see wear marks on slide and frame after taking gun in and out of the holster maybe 25 times for setup and a few draws. I love the gun but a little disappointed in the finish.

Hello: Some holsters are very tight when new. If that is the case you can wrap the slide with 5 layers of blue painters tape and install in the holster. Use a hair dryer and heat the outside of the holster to loosen up the fit a little. Don't over heat it. Remove the tape and see how it fits now. If it is still too tight repeat the process until you get the fit you are looking for. Another trick is to make new rubber spacers for the tension screws. I use automotive hose for vacuum lines. You can buy it by the foot at auto parts stores cheaply. Or do like I do and don't dryfire. No time for that. Thanks, Eric

I think mine might look worse, I'm at about 2 months with it. I think Cerakote holds up better. Not super impressed if I'm honest. I really like the gun though.

Doesn't seem worth sending it back for them to reapply the same finish I'll just wear off. Plus I think I read the slides are stainless anyway. Not that any of my guns with carbon slides have rusted.

• 2 weeks later...