Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP 01 beaver tail

Makicjf

Howdy,

I'm struggling to get my hand under the beaver tail of my SP 01 from the holster.  I have large hands ( X large gloves) but found, with help, that the patriot defense palm swells fill my hand better, though I'm still placing my support hand palm onto the fingertips of my strong hand.   I can't seem to devise a draw which allows for high, deep and quick hand placement on the draw.  When I shoot Steel Challenge single stack or revolver i'm within .28 percent of the other.  The two matches I've shot my SP 01 i'm 12-15 percent slower.  The difference is a fumbly draw and consistently inconsistent grips.  

If I start from low ready, and slide my hand up the grip under the the beaver tail I can run the essentially the same times as with revo and single stack from low ready. I think this confirms my bad draw/bad grip thoughts. I'm thinking I may reduce (shorten) the back of the beaver tail and thin the area underneath to mimic an upsweep to facilitate my draw and grip .  The TSO i'm in possession of I do not struggle to gain a grip from the holster : it has much more of an upsweep beavertail , though I still end up gripping on all but the pinky of my strong hand.  

Is modifying the beaver tail   a foolish idea?  Should I just sell the SP 01, grips, mags and extended mags and try a different DA/SA  with a large hand friendly grip?  I'd like to keep the sp 01, as its never had a malfunction, and if I start from a forced good grip it shoots well for me.

Jason

2 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

Howdy,

I'm struggling to get my hand under the beaver tail of my SP 01 from the holster.  I have large hands ( X large gloves) but found, with help, that the patriot defense palm swells fill my hand better, though I'm still placing my support hand palm onto the fingertips of my strong hand.   I can't seem to devise a draw which allows for high, deep and quick hand placement on the draw.  When I shoot Steel Challenge single stack or revolver i'm within .28 percent of the other.  The two matches I've shot my SP 01 i'm 12-15 percent slower.  The difference is a fumbly draw and consistently inconsistent grips.  

If I start from low ready, and slide my hand up the grip under the the beaver tail I can run the essentially the same times as with revo and single stack from low ready. I think this confirms my bad draw/bad grip thoughts. I'm thinking I may reduce (shorten) the back of the beaver tail and thin the area underneath to mimic an upsweep to facilitate my draw and grip .  The TSO i'm in possession of I do not struggle to gain a grip from the holster : it has much more of an upsweep beavertail , though I still end up gripping on all but the pinky of my strong hand.  

Is modifying the beaver tail   a foolish idea?  Should I just sell the SP 01, grips, mags and extended mags and try a different DA/SA  with a large hand friendly grip?  I'd like to keep the sp 01, as its never had a malfunction, and if I start from a forced good grip it shoots well for me.

Jason

If a small tweak is legal and gets you more comfortable I say it's worth it.  However, before buying a whole other gun I personally would make sure I have dry fired diligently.  We've all had the "If I change guns maybe it will be better" thought.  Generally, it comes down to enough practice. 

Case in point, I just recently parted ways with my CO Shadow.  PHENOMENAL GUN.  However, I could just never get comfortable with it.   They just are not real comfortable for me.  I decided this after shooting 10's of thousands of rounds over the years through a few different ones.