Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Jhp question

Pinka

I'll probably get blasted for not using the search function but..... just getting in to the shadow 2, can you load 124 gr jhp longer than the SP01, i was at 1.095 for the SP01. Only ask because i ordered from CZC and going to be a little while before the mill work is done and the gun ships

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I’m loading right at that same oal for my S2 with a PD 124 JHP. Can’t remember where the plunk and spin started failing but i went shorter to allow for some variance and because my accuracy was great at that OAL in my testing. Looks like my pistol is an ‘18.

I do the plunk and spin test in my Shadow2. Then I back off a hair.  I load everything as long as possible. Never had a problem. Tack driver.

Edited by hal1955

@Pinka you can also have the throat extended with a carbide reamer (since Shadow 2 barrels are hardened) if desired. I bought one specifically to allow me to load to 1.150” with any bullet profile in my Walthers, which have similarly short chambers.

I’ve done a few Shadow 2s and P-10s for buddies who got tired of loading short just so the ammo will run in their CZs, too.

Does reaming the barrel effect accuracy at all??  I often wonder why I continue to shoot JHP in the shadows when if I just went with the RN I could use whatever length I want.  

39 minutes ago, Pinka said:

Does reaming the barrel effect accuracy at all??  I often wonder why I continue to shoot JHP in the shadows when if I just went with the RN I could use whatever length I want.  

I’ve never found that to be the case. Group sizes in everything I’ve reamed have been the same before and after.

And your statement depends GREATLY upon which round nose bullet you use. Plenty of bulbous 124 and 147 coated bullets in .356 will still have you loading down around 1.0090-1.110” while other might get you out to 1.130”

See below:

278B1F80-B277-4117-9180-A3B384CBF86B.jpeg.ae30ba29524049ecdc54f49eeffe4bda.jpeg

29FE4221-9E56-4F54-B8EA-F1807A84C7E9.thumb.gif.886f5f0d08249d19d8a336edce7a838e.gif

Edited by MemphisMechanic

45 minutes ago, Pinka said:

That’s not necessarily true when loading certain RN like the ones offered by RMR reloading. It has a fat ogive/short nose and doesn’t allow you to load it long on a shadow 2 unless your barrel is reamed.

I just sent my 3 czechmate barrels to Memphis to be reamed so I can load up to 1.170”. Looking forward to it.