Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
looking4reloadingdeals

New 59oz weight limit for Carry Optics, what’s the big difference it will make?

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

fair enough. it's still funny tho.  ;)

It is funny and I am full of inappropriate comments because of this insanity of a 4# 9mm.   What is next a shadow 2 mounted to a humvee?  I think that we don't need one gun that is 59 ounces but two.  Can anybody say duel wielding?  Think of the Peepshow scene from Boondock Saints.  That is the real key to winning.  I know it isn't in the rules now, but give it a week.  The way our rules are evolving is like "The Sound of Thunder".  Every change is more extreme than the last!  

 

With that being said, we do need Limited Minor as a division.  Then your gun can weigh....anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DeweyH said:

It is funny and I am full of inappropriate comments because of this insanity of a 4# 9mm.   What is next a shadow 2 mounted to a humvee?  I think that we don't need one gun that is 59 ounces but two.  Can anybody say duel wielding?  Think of the Peepshow scene from Boondock Saints.  That is the real key to winning.  I know it isn't in the rules now, but give it a week.  The way our rules are evolving is like "The Sound of Thunder".  Every change is more extreme than the last!  

 

With that being said, we do need Limited Minor as a division.  Then your gun can weigh....anything.

 

We do have Limited Minor.... 

 

you’ll just get beat by Major shooters 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, HCH said:

 

We do have Limited Minor.... 

 

you’ll just get beat by Major shooters 🤣

only by the ones who are at least very close to your skill level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, HCH said:

 

We do have Limited Minor.... 

 

you’ll just get beat by Major shooters 🤣

Not if you can pull all Alphas...😌

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

Not if you can pull all Alphas...😌

then you'll be so slow you'll get beat by people who are NOT as good as you.

Edited by motosapiens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

Not if you can pull all Alphas...😌

 

If you shoot all Alpha in Limited you're going to slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 6:25 PM, Soderquist said:

I'm not an equipment gamer. I'm still running the light weight P320 RX in CO. I have 2 plus an original 320.  It's very light compared to a Legion. For me it's a money thing. I'm sure running a 3 and a half pound pistol would be an advantage. However, quality voluminous training like I do will trump minor advantages like this without the training.

 

I'm not sure it would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

then you'll be so slow you'll get beat by people who are NOT as good as you.

 

28 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

 

If you shoot all Alpha in Limited you're going to slow.

Slow, I don't believe in slow. And it hasn't happened yet and I'm 63.  I shoot my Beretta 92 for everything 3 gun ipsc IDPA steel challenge whatever. I'm not Jerry Miculek! By any stretch of the imagination but, If your slow at limited minor,  your slow and limited major. Shooting is fundamental, fun at least.

Edited by usmc1974

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

59 Oz weight limit means that we no longer need to worry about any weight restriction. Just get any gun you like and it will be within the limit. No more ridiculous and expensive slide weight reduction. I may start shooting CO when Shadow 2 optic ready will get to the US

Edited by cheby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, usmc1974 said:

 

Slow, I don't believe in slow. And it hasn't happened yet and I'm 63.  I shoot my Beretta 92 for everything 3 gun ipsc IDPA steel challenge whatever. I'm not Jerry Miculek! By any stretch of the imagination but, If your slow at limited minor,  your slow and limited major. Shooting is fundamental, fun at least.

 

I think you're missing the point. In order to shoot all A's no matter how good you are you will not be able to shoot the same stage times as a Limited major shooter who is willing to drop C's. It doesn't really matter how fast you are with you're Beretta I know you are not competitive with it. That's not meant as a dig on your shooting, that's just how it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cheby said:

59 Oz weight limit means that we no longer need to worry about any weight restriction. Just get any gun you like and it will be within the limit. No more ridiculous and expensive slide weight reduction. I may start shooting CO when Shadow 2 optic ready will get to the US

 

That's true, and now the ridiculously expensive slide cuts are being replaced with ridiculously expensive tungsten grips, guide rods and brass base pads because heavy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Effectively, there is no restriction on CO weight limit. I'm sure that was the end game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

 

It doesn't really matter how fast you are with you're Beretta I know you are not competitive with it. That's not meant as a dig on your shooting, that's just how it works.

 

he might well be competitive with it. I've seen folks win local matches and place well at majors shooting both limited and open minor. They're definitely giving up a few percent tho, and they'd be MORE competitive shooting major.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 7:31 PM, motosapiens said:

 

he might well be competitive with it. I've seen folks win local matches and place well at majors shooting both limited and open minor. They're definitely giving up a few percent tho, and they'd be MORE competitive shooting major.

 

It's funny, above you said if he's shooting all A's he's probably to slow. Now you're making the point he probably is competitive shooting minor. Which is it? 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

 

It's funny, above you said if he's shooting all A's he's probably to slow. Now you're making the point he probably is competitive shooting minor. Which is it? 

 

 

 

I didn't say 'probably'. I said 'might'.

 

both are true. shooting all A's, is too slow, as a rule. Minor shooters can be competitive, especially at local matches, but they will be losing a small percentage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 3:01 PM, zombywoof said:

Effectively, there is no restriction on CO weight limit. I'm sure that was the end game.

yes, but its the dumbest way to get to that objective. simple solution would have been to remove the weight rule. 

 

If they removed the weight rule a large portion of those trying to get as close as they can to the new limit would not be changing anything, because no limit is not a goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, motosapiens said:

I didn't say 'probably'. I said 'might'.

 

both are true. shooting all A's, is too slow, as a rule. Minor shooters can be competitive, especially at local matches If no one good shows up, but they will be losing a small percentage.

 

Fixed it for you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

yes, but its the dumbest way to get to that objective. simple solution would have been to remove the weight rule. 

 

If they removed the weight rule a large portion of those trying to get as close as they can to the new limit would not be changing anything, because no limit is not a goal.

 

Agreed. now people are chasing a number. Take a shadow 2 add 9 oz brass or tungsten grips, plus brass base pads and a tungsten guide rod should get you pretty close. I hope lots of people do it. Buy all the stuff, it's the ticket to improvement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

 

Fixed it for you

meh, unless you are nils or eric grauffel or jj, or a small handful of others,  the only way you EVER win is if nobody good shows up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, motosapiens said:

meh, unless you are nils or eric grauffel or jj, or a small handful of others,  the only way you EVER win is if nobody good shows up.

 

Certainly, there is a scale. Someone at your level will consistently beat you if you're shooting minor against their major. You can practice more get better and start beating them, but then the next guy up will be beating you. If you're local club is all C class limited minor shooters you can probably crush them with anything. Around here seeing a couple decent GM's in limited is normal, gonna be hard to beat them shooting minor. But buy all means if you're goal is be competitive with Limited minor go for it. I have no issue with people shooting minor against me at matches.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

GM's in limited is normal, gonna be hard to beat them shooting minor. 

 

 

If a couple Grandmaster show up, they probably going to beat you, if you're shooting major! and they're throwing stones. So what's your point. Shoot, have fun, laugh and joke with the gun people around you, if you want to walk around with a 59 Oz gun on your hip all day and that's what you carry on the street it's all good and remember you could be working!

Edited by usmc1974

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, usmc1974 said:

If a couple Grandmaster show up, they probably going to beat you, if you're shooting major! and they're throwing stones. So what's your point. Shoot, have fun, laugh and joke with the gun people around you, if you want to walk around with a 59 Oz gun on your hip all day and that's what you carry on the street it's all good and remember you could be working!

 

Oh, yeah sure if you're just there blasting and having fun hell yeah go for it. Just don't imply it's a competitive option, that's kind of misleading. If I'm shooting Limited i plan to be as competitive as I can. When I got my bump  to G in limited I almost went minor at chrono. (4" gun needs more powder) Had I gone minor it would of cost me 5.5% and dropped me from 1st to 3rd. That seems to be a fairly typical result.

 

I just recently switched from Limited to CO, I have zero interest in a 59 oz CO gun. Low 40's seems fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

When I got my bump  to G in limited 

What is "G"?  everybody I know that shoots ipsc, IDPA 3 gun what ever, goes to win, and always try to do the best.  it's kind of condescending to think otherwise. I usually found this kind of behavior in people to think too highly of themselves and are wrapped a little too tight. Not pointing any fingers, and I honestly do not want to offend anybody. just saying truth is truth and fact is fact.  People with a class B or C or even  A no matter what they're shooting are NOT going to outshoot GM. A Class B Class and C Class and D shooters are what keeps USPSA funded. Just saying.

Edited by usmc1974

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Had I gone minor it would of cost me 5.5% and dropped me from 1st to 3rd. That seems to be a fairly typical result.

 

 

exactly my point. you'll be a small percentage lower shooting minor, but imho it is not accurate to tell someone they simply won't be competitive shooting minor. It would be more accurate to say they will be *less* competitive shooting minor.

 

I'm glad you finally agreed with me.  ;)

Edited by motosapiens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

 

exactly my point. you'll be a small percentage lower shooting minor, but imho it is not accurate to tell someone they simply won't be competitive shooting minor. 

 

I'm glad you finally agreed with me.  ;)

I think you're right, so I guess I agree with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...