Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 59oz weight limit for Carry Optics, what’s the big difference it will make?

So I recently sent out for a shadow 2 from Fire4Effect, and they say the gun comes out to 39oz without grips. This is in part to many cuts in the slide to reduce weight.

So, with the new ruling, what would the advantage of having more weight provide? I’m assuming less muzzle rise if the weight is in the front? Should I tel them not to put in the front cuts on the slide with the new rules? Or will it not that big of a difference in the end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you want to save a bit of money, I’d just get the slide done as they normally do and try to find some ways to add weight in the frame. Maybe a tungsten guide rod and brass SSI scales. Anyone else have ideas? Wish someone made brass mag extensions for these. 

20 minutes ago, mcattack said:

Just curious, what will be new guns to use in carry optics, now that weight has changed.

The big one will be the Optics Ready Shadow 2, which they wouldn’t bring here when you had to mill the piss out of it in order to make it legal.

...Which might have been a factor in USPSA’s decision. Maybe. Hypothetically.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, blindmarksman said:

Oof think of all the people that paid $600 for that slide lightening

Guy I shoot several matches with had this happen to him with his Shadow 2. He was not amused. Paid the dollars to get it underweight, and then finds out he did not have to mess with it.

51 minutes ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

I'm thinking I'll have to play around with a weighted plug and a few things to get a bit more weight on the gun. 

By the time you graduate from jr high school, you probably won't need extra weight to tame minor recoil.  ;)

9 hours ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

I'm not sure I understand

haha, it was supposed to be a burn about how unless you're a 98 lb weakling in a dress, minor recoil is easy to manage even with a light gun. Just yankin' yer chain, but I've spent some time shooting an xdm vs a 9m 1911 lately, and while they're *different*, I'm not sure one is better than the other for minor.

13 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

haha, it was supposed to be a burn about how unless you're a 98 lb weakling in a dress, minor recoil is easy to manage even with a light gun. Just yankin' yer chain, but I've spent some time shooting an xdm vs a 9m 1911 lately, and while they're *different*, I'm not sure one is better than the other for minor.

Heresy,

It is plainly obvious that the heavier the better or they would not have put a limit on it, that's why you see all the open and limited shooters shooting 70+oz guns.

Wait, none of my guns weigh even 50oz, my open gun is close at 48oz  but my limited is only 44.5oz , heck even my tank of a revolver is only 48oz, crap I need to buy all new guns.

I would not waste any money lightening the slide on a CO gun now. Sure there may be minor benefits, but not enough to make any real difference in performance IMO. What is more likely is you're just going to end up cracking the slide at some point. When ever you see a Limited gun with a cracked slide it's probably right at a slide cut. Save your money for ammo.

I'm getting into CO, and just bought a gun right before the rule change. I don't feel I'll be at a disadvantage, in fact I don't even want a super heavy tank of a gun to shoot 9mm Minor. The low 40's is a good number, gun is easy to shoot and easy to transition. 

That said, I'm sure we will be seeing 55-56 oz Shadow 2's at matches. Can anyone even get it to 59 oz? I bet someone will try, you can probably get close in CO.

1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

Heresy,

It is plainly obvious that the heavier the better or they would not have put a limit on it, that's why you see all the open and limited shooters shooting 70+oz guns.

Wait, none of my guns weigh even 50oz, my open gun is close at 48oz  but my limited is only 44.5oz , heck even my tank of a revolver is only 48oz, crap I need to buy all new guns.

you do need to buy all new guns.... to keep the economy running. It's our patriotic duty!

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

For me it isn't about reducing the recoil, but seeing how the additional weight affects my shooting.  Does it reduce muzzle flip?  How does the heavier gun respond to transitions? Does it help with the dot bounce and keeping the dot on target?  I know that adding weight isn't going to make me a GM and that upgrades to guns can't replace practice, but I would be interested to see if it feels better to shoot. I don't recall saying anywhere that I wanted to add weight to reduce recoil on my pistol. 

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

you do need to buy all new guns.... to keep the economy running. It's our patriotic duty!

I'm doing my part, I'm just starting to feel bad because so many of them have already gone unloved for so long, I need more division specific matches to force me to change it up more than I already do. 

1 hour ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

For me it isn't about reducing the recoil, but seeing how the additional weight affects my shooting.  Does it reduce muzzle flip?  How does the heavier gun respond to transitions? Does it help with the dot bounce and keeping the dot on target?  I know that adding weight isn't going to make me a GM and that upgrades to guns can't replace practice, but I would be interested to see if it feels better to shoot. I don't recall saying anywhere that I wanted to add weight to reduce recoil on my pistol. 

Generally the goal of weight is softer and flatter. So reduce recoil, I'm sure that is why he jumped to that conclusion. It is vary easy to pick up a heavy gun shoot it and say "wow that is soft and easy to shoot, I'm going with that"

It is much more work to put it on the timer and see if you're really any faster shooting it. I think it could be vary hard to determine for sure if your transitions improve or worsen with out doing a lot of reps and really looking at all the data.

6 hours ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

fair enough. it's still funny tho.  ;)

I'm not an equipment gamer. I'm still running the light weight P320 RX in CO. I have 2 plus an original 320.  It's very light compared to a Legion. For me it's a money thing. I'm sure running a 3 and a half pound pistol would be an advantage. However, quality voluminous training like I do will trump minor advantages like this without the training.