Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving steel due to shooters activation!

Shot a great match this past weekend and something I noticed that kinda threw my squad off a little. There was a spot where you could shoot a popper with out any prop interference. There was a barrel to the left of this so you couldn’t shoot this steel cleanly from anywhere else besides in a certain spot. But due to the range being all sand, the popper shifted over towards the barrels even tho it was stacked down in all 4 holes. Now you saw half the popper from the position instead of all of it. No big deal and I wasn’t going to raise a big stink about it  cause it was a club match. It was a learning experience for me because now I am going to be aware of props and how they vibrate/move over time. 

wanted to throw this scenario out there for others to consider when setting up stages.  

Love the game to much to be the guy who always complains about small details like this at a level 1. If it was a level 2 or higher, yes. I get it but as everyone knows these stages go up in less than 2 hrs. 

Yeah, you don't need to make a stink about it, but bring it up, if nothing else pass on to the other squads that 'this is supposed to be fully visible from here, fix it if it moves'.

We might not worry about that kind of things, much, for our club matches which are very small affairs indeed.

For our annual bigger match, a popper is fixed to a sturdy pallet with bolts or screws - and the pallet is staked or screwed to the ground. That has never moved for us, and the pallet can take 150 competitors, and much more, before splatter cuts it too badly.

4 hours ago, Atlasguy321 said:

We were the last squad of the day on that stage. Who knows how many shooters shot the stage like this. 

I agree with what has been said above. As in not making a big deal of it but it should have been brought up at some point before you guys got there. Chalk it up to knowing what SHOULD be done next time you see a problem with a stage. Unless the MD is a total dick he really would like to know so he can at the very least, prevent it in the future.

• 1 year later...
On 3/9/2020 at 9:34 PM, Nik Habicht said:

A hunk of plywood underneath the popper base, with stake holes drilled through it, can often prevent that kind of shifting....

Can also a 3-4 foot length of 2x6 with holes drilled in it for 10" landscape nails to hold it in place.  Put one under the front and a 2nd one under the back.

BC