Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For you Florida guys

We are headed to Disney in A couple days. On our off days I plan to drive to the beach. I’m thinking of Melbourne, cocoa beach or Jacksonville.  I’m used  to the water and beaches in destin so I know the beaches and water won’t be the same. Which location listed above will be the best place to visit ? 

Edited by magpulled
Spelling

I always go to Melbourne - very nice beach and lots of nice restaurants.

But, I'm sure the other two locations are probably very nice, also.

If you're going to be at Mickey Land, Cocoa  is closer.

I'd much prefer to go to St Augustine than Jacksonville, but even

St Augustine is a hike.

Even though I live here in Jacksonville, I would not recommend you to drive at least two hours just to come over here and visit. There’s not much to see. I’d much rather recommend you to go to St Augustine instead for the history of being the oldest city in the country. It has a lot of great restaurants, shops and also has a local winery that offers taste/tours to tourists.

While you’re in the oldest city of the US,  you can also come and shoot with us at SAPSA (St Augustine Practical Shooters Assoc) on March 21 or at ACPSA (Ancient City Practical Shooters Assoc) on March 28. I’ll let you borrow one of my guns/rigs if you don’t have your gun with you.

With regards to beaches, I don’t find any of them along the Atlantic coast as beautiful and pristine compared to the beaches I have visited in the middle of the pacific, Caribbean and Atlantic Ocean during the course of my 21 year navy career. Like Jack said, you’d be better off in Melbourne since it has the best beach among the choices you have.  However, if you are pressed for time, just go to cocoa beach or visit the Kennedy space center since it’s closest to Orlando.

Good luck, have fun and be safe.

13 hours ago, George16 said:

Even though I live here in Jacksonville, I would not recommend you to drive at least two hours just to come over here and visit. There’s not much to see. I’d much rather recommend you to go to St Augustine instead for the history of being the oldest city in the country. It has a lot of great restaurants, shops and also has a local winery that offers taste/tours to tourists.

While you’re in the oldest city of the US,  you can also come and shoot with us at SAPSA (St Augustine Practical Shooters Assoc) on March 21 or at ACPSA (Ancient City Practical Shooters Assoc) on March 28. I’ll let you borrow one of my guns/rigs if you don’t have your gun with you.

With regards to beaches, I don’t find any of them along the Atlantic coast as beautiful and pristine compared to the beaches I have visited in the middle of the pacific, Caribbean and Atlantic Ocean during the course of my 21 year navy career. Like Jack said, you’d be better off in Melbourne since it has the best beach among the choices you have.  However, if you are pressed for time, just go to cocoa beach or visit the Kennedy space center since it’s closest to Orlando.

Good luck, have fun and be safe.

We go to St Augustine every few years. It is a fun little place to visit.

Thank you for the advice guys ! 
we’re driving down from Mississippi Saturday the7th. I asked if I could bring my gear but Unfortunately I can’t.  It’s a family trip so I gotta do family stuff. Thanks for the offer george16 and I’ll keep that in mind when I travel back your way. 

I live in Melbourne, grew up in Brevard County.  From Cape Canaveral down to Sebastian Inlet it's only an hour apart, so you could hit multiple beaches along A1A in one visit, including Cocoa Beach and Melbourne beach.  Some notable stops, the Pier and Ron Jons in Cocoa Beach, Quite Flight surf shop, Natural art surf shop, Patrick AFB (Picnic tables, officers club, 2nd light), Indialantic Boardwalk, 5th Avenue,  Longboard House, Spanish House/Sea Grapes between 5th Avenue and Sebastian Inlet (if you like to surf), Sebastian.  there are also a lot of Pubic Parks that have beach access along A1A.

Edited by Kali