Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

230gr LRN with Titegroup, what charge gets you major PF?

NCWalrus

I am a newbie to reloading, have loaded a little over ~1k mostly 45acp at this point.

Ive tried 4.2-4.6gr of titegroup with 230gr LRN coated, plated and cast lead bullets. All have cycled through my 1911 and Glock 41. 4.4gr was just below major PF on average, averaging 711fps, 163 PF. SD of 27 and ES of 128!!

trying to work up this 45 load to try out IDPA for the first time. Hoping to get a consistent 170PF and tighter ES/SD.

Using a Dillon 550, OAL 1.250, crimp .468

Thank you in advance 

I think case fill is killing you... Yeh I know "they" say tightgroup isnt position sensitive,,, but at some point I say BS...

Ur issue is a big case and a powder that takes up a little room causing incosistent ignition. find a bigger fluffier powder.  You can generally look up CC's per grain of a powder. More CC's per grain, more room it takes up .
Hint,, WST,,, about same burn rate as TG,, but takes up about double the room

This is just my opinion but the best powder I found for a 1911 or any 45 is red dot. With a 230 grain bullet 4.5 grain will do it. Fills the case nicely gives you a nice consistent ignition. With very controllable recoil for a second shot.. just saying.