Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How's Stoeger's new book?

lfine

I started reading it yesterday.  

The beginning talks about nerves and dealing with them.  Not an issue for me

Then talks about realistic goals, in a detailed manner.  👍🏻

I think it will be a good read and worth the purchase price if you want to understand what is going on in top level match shooting and/or want to up your game.

• 2 weeks later...

So for those who read it - is it good for the beginner or the experienced more? Who should read this, or is there something else to read before this, etc., and where does it fit in the collection of Stoeger’s other books? Thanks. I’ll give it a read shortly, myself, and give my 2 cents when done. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2020 at 11:00 AM, lfine said:

So for those who read it - is it good for the beginner or the experienced more? Who should read this, or is there something else to read before this, etc., and where does it fit in the collection of Stoeger’s other books? Thanks. I’ll give it a read shortly, myself, and give my 2 cents when done. 

Honestly, I think anyone can/should read it regardless of skill or participation level.  There's a lot of good information in it.  In my opinion, it's probably a good first book for a beginner, because it could help to set expectations based on planned level of participation.  There's definitely things in the book that will be way over the head of a beginner as well as some things that are very academic for someone that's more experienced.  However, I have a hard time believing that anyone in the sport that reads it would call it a waste of time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2020 at 4:18 PM, lfine said:

Anyone give it a read yet?

I’m half way through the book. This is my second year shooting USPSA. 

1) I wish it came out when I first started USPSA 

2) I’m glad I got it so early in my shooting adventure. 

• 2 months later...

I haven't read too far yet but have already picked up some advice that was worth the price of admission "Never take a reshoot right after your first run thru".  He goes into detail why but I have done this many times, even at a couple big matches and it really is better not to.

• 4 weeks later...