Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

extended firing pin question/problem


TRG65
 Share

Recommended Posts

I had a bunch of primers not go bang today in my CZ. There were some that felt a bit high in the reloads, but I'm using federal primers.  I didn't think I should have the number of problems that I experienced.  

 

What is the length of the extended firing pin?  I want to make sure I have the right one in my slide.

Edited by TRG65
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A SP-01 Shadow, the hammer spring doesn't have many round on it, maybe 2k.

 

Where can I get more firing pins like the one on the right?  It is 2.505" and weighs 83.5grns, the one on the left is 2.499 and weighs 78.0grns.  I pulled the longer heavier one from the top end I don't have problems with, and the lighter shorter one from the one that was giving the light strikes.  My wife has a CZ Custom SP01 Shadow and it has the shorter lighter version, so I presume that is a CZ Custom.  Does anyone know the specs on a Cajun (when I look on the website, their's seems to have the same profile as the shorter one), or are there any other versions?

 

IMG_5818.JPG.8da716791b0dc48f6a199ae9b1b5343f.JPG

Edited by TRG65
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I measured a Cajun extended firing pin, and got 2.500".  

 

Check to be sure your "problem" firing pin doesn't have a weak firing pin spring.  Reinstall it, and point the muzzle end down.  Then make sure the rear of the firing pin is lifted above the firing pin stop.  If it is flush, or below flush, you have found your problem.  

 

Also check for a sacked spring by pointing the muzzle up, and pressing on the rear of the firing pin.  If you don't have spring resistance immediately, but you do after it has moved forward (up, in this case), the firing pin spring is bad.  

 

 

Edited by Ken6PPC
More...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do your firing pin springs look like the top one, or the bottom one?  

 

6A6FA0D9-8086-4CC8-90A4-66643FE6D2AC.jpe

 

The top one has the reduced firing pin spring from Cajun Gun Works, the bottom one came stock in one of my Shadows.  The difference is subtile, and it would be easy to mix them up.  

 

Cajun had a run of bad firing pin springs a while back, and the only way to find that is by holding the slide vertical, and checking if the spring is holding the firing pin all the way to the rear.  (Like I described in a previous post.)  

 

One other thing that hasn't been addressed is your high primers.  Regardless of primer brand, a high primer absorbs energy that should set off the primer.  Seat some primers (FULLY) into empty cases, and try them to see if they fire.  If they do, the high primers are your only problem.  

 

 

Edited by Ken6PPC
more...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks like you have the same different pins as I do. One has more of a straight section under the spring than the other. Which firing pin came from where?

 

Also, I have one of each on the springs. 
 

The number of second strikes that I’ve needed with this top end compared to my production top end is not just high primers, or in my back up pistol (SP01 non shadow). When I loaded the mags last night I checked every bullet as I loaded them. I identified 3 that weren’t flush or below flush that I just said we’ll give it a try. My son and I had that many second strikes each on single stages today. Other stages ran fine. 
 

yes the high primer is an issue and with range brass on my 1050 I have to watch the variance in case types. I’ll obviously have to set it lower. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The top fp/fps set came from Cajun.  The bottom set was the original fp/fps set from one of my Shadows.  

 

I only run the Cajun extended firing pin and reduced power firing pin springs.  I use an 11-1/2 lb. hammer spring, and also ensure that ALL my primers are fully seated. 

 

I have NEVER had a misfire or needed a second strike.... YET!  LOL!  

 

Whoops!  I forgot about the misfires I started having from a weak fps...  OK, other than THAT, I haven't had any misfires or needed second strikes....

 

 

Edited by Ken6PPC
Forgot...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I have had a failure to fire issue three times in about 1,500 rounds where the hammer on my CZ SP 01 Tactical only falls to the decocker point instead of firing off the round. The trigger will not pull the hammer back, it is frozen, so I must pull the hammer back manually to set off the round. Any ideas? I'm thinking it may be the CGW reduced power hammer block spring or the CGW reduced power firing pin return spring. The hammer end of the longer GCW firing pin only sticks out a tiny bit, just the circular tip, if you will. When the gun is held barrel up, the firing pin pushes in with the proper immediate resistance, so it doesn't seem to be sacked. How to fix this? Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Russty said:
 I have had a failure to fire issue three times in about 1,500 rounds where the hammer on my CZ SP 01 Tactical only falls to the decocker point instead of firing off the round. The trigger will not pull the hammer back, it is frozen, so I must pull the hammer back manually to set off the round. Any ideas? I'm thinking it may be the CGW reduced power hammer block spring or the CGW reduced power firing pin return spring. The hammer end of the longer GCW firing pin only sticks out a tiny bit, just the circular tip, if you will. When the gun is held barrel up, the firing pin pushes in with the proper immediate resistance, so it doesn't seem to be sacked. How to fix this? Thanks!

 

If the hammer doesn't even touch the firing pin, the fp spring can have no effect at all.  

 

Does the slide have an extra power recoil spring, while shooting low power loads?  Any other reason why the slide might not be fully moving to the rear during recoil and not fully cocking the hammer?  

 

If the slide is functioning normally, and fully cocking the hammer before the trigger is pulled, I would suspect the the disconnector needs to be fitted.  

 

Have you (or someone else) replaced the original disconnector?  

 

 

Edited by Ken6PPC
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

 

If the hammer doesn't even touch the firing pin, the fp spring can have no effect at all.  

 

Does the slide have an extra power recoil spring, while shooting low power loads?  Any other reason why the slide might not be fully moving to the rear during recoil and not fully cocking the hammer?  

 

If the slide is functioning normally, and fully cocking the hammer before the trigger is pulled, I would suspect the the disconnector needs to be fitted.  

 

Have you (or someone else) replaced the original disconnector?  

 

 

Thanks for this. The recoil spring is CGW's 12# spring, I shoot factory ammo, still have the original disconnector. This is a rare occurrence, only twice in 1,500 rounds. So . . . I'm not sure exactly how far the hammer fell. I THINK it didn't fall all the way, but not sure it stopped on the half cock. I do know that the second time it happened, the trigger would not pull the hammer back. After I pulled the hammer back, the gun fired. I do have CGW's floating trigger pin, but this issue happened once with it and once before I installed it. My fear is that this is an non-reproducable problem. What shop will fire 1,000 rounds to have it happen!? So, instead of shipping it off, I'd like to fix it. How does one go about fitting the disconnector? Should I just install GCW's and get the shorter reset to boot or should I fix this first before introducing new variables? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

David from CGW just got back to me. They've been great! 

 

"That's a classic CZ disconnector timing issue from what you described.  If it is under 5 years old and has the stock internal parts in the frame it's under warranty through CZ-USA.  

 
If not we can correct it, or if you or someone you know can disassemble it and remove the hammer we can send you the info needed to fix this.  Let us know if you have additional questions."
 
Still wondering if I should put the CGW disconnector in or wait until the issue is fixed.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Russty said:

David from CGW just got back to me. They've been great! 

 

"That's a classic CZ disconnector timing issue from what you described.  If it is under 5 years old and has the stock internal parts in the frame it's under warranty through CZ-USA.  

 
If not we can correct it, or if you or someone you know can disassemble it and remove the hammer we can send you the info needed to fix this.  Let us know if you have additional questions."
 
Still wondering if I should put the CGW disconnector in or wait until the issue is fixed.

 

If it is still under warranty, I think I would have CZ-USA fix it. 

 

If it is not under warranty, it is your personal preference.  

 

You are right though...  I seriously doubt anyone would fire 1000 rounds before calling it "good"...  And, who could blame them?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/1/2020 at 8:24 PM, Ken6PPC said:

Do your firing pin springs look like the top one, or the bottom one?  

 

6A6FA0D9-8086-4CC8-90A4-66643FE6D2AC.jpe

 

The top one has the reduced firing pin spring from Cajun Gun Works, the bottom one came stock in one of my Shadows.  The difference is subtile, and it would be easy to mix them up.  

 

Cajun had a run of bad firing pin springs a while back, and the only way to find that is by holding the slide vertical, and checking if the spring is holding the firing pin all the way to the rear.  (Like I described in a previous post.)  

 

One other thing that hasn't been addressed is your high primers.  Regardless of primer brand, a high primer absorbs energy that should set off the primer.  Seat some primers (FULLY) into empty cases, and try them to see if they fire.  If they do, the high primers are your only problem.  

 

 

I had this very issue with a few of the springs I got from Cajun...to the point where the firing pin was actually loose in the channel so sometimes the hammer just wouldn't make enough contact with it since it didn't spring back enough.  They replaced when I mentioned and it has been two years going strong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MoRivera said:

I had this very issue with a few of the springs I got from Cajun...to the point where the firing pin was actually loose in the channel so sometimes the hammer just wouldn't make enough contact with it since it didn't spring back enough.  They replaced when I mentioned and it has been two years going strong.

 

Yes, they replaced mine as well. 

 

Good guys at Cajun Gun Works!  https://cajungunworks.com/  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/1/2020 at 5:00 PM, TRG65 said:

Where can I get more firing pins like the one on the right?  It is 2.505" and weighs 83.5grns, the one on the left is 2.499 and weighs 78grsIMG_5818.JPG.8da716791b0dc48f6a199ae9b1b5343f.JPG


I went ahead and got a Cajun and it is the lighter version. The one that came today weight 78grs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a different issue then the OP, My extended FP and cajun reduced FPS seem to kiss the primer when the slide closes. Making a very tiny dimple in the primer. I have tried 3 different cajun springs, I ordered a CZC reduced FPS to try next. I have never had a slam fire/hammer follow event but I have been changing the firing pin and firing pin spring every 5-10 thousand rounds as a precaution. I does not stick out the front when at rest and does protrude from the rear of the firing pin stop plate.

 

If this deserves its own post I will.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...