Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading; Everglades 9mm 124gr

mofosheee

Hello.................does anyone have load recommendations for; https://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/handgun-bullets/9mm-124gr-concave-fmj-bullets.html
unable to find tables with load recommendations for this profile.
I have Titegroup, AA#2 and W231 for powders. 

Thank you!
3.5-4 grains of titegroup at 1.150 will give you anywhere from 120-135pf

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cut and paste from my reloading “notebook”

Started at 1.130, but ended up settling on 1.100”

If there is a charge with no data it’s a load I’m going to try next but haven’t yet.

124gr Everglades JHP
COAL 1.100” (1.130”)

Titegroup G34 Extended Threaded Barrel
3.6 grs 1012 FPS 5 SD / 19 ES
3.8 grs 1079 FPS 11 SD / 29 ES
(COAL 1.100”)[emoji3596]
3.9 grs

Titegroup G34 Agency stock length barrel
(COAL 1.100”)[emoji3596]
3.9 grs

HP-38 G17 MOS
4.4 grs 1076 FPS 11.3 SD / 36 ES
(COAL 1.100”)[emoji3596]
4.3 grs
4.4 grs 1107 FPS 12.9 SD / 36 ES
4.6 grs 1131 FPS 10.1 SD / 29 ES

HP-38 G19X
4.3 grs 1056 FPS 6.7 SD / 22 ES
4.4 grs 1070 FPS 14.1 SD / 47.5 ES
(COAL 1.100”)[emoji3596]
4.3 grs
4.4 grs 1094 FPS 11.2 SD / 33 ES
4.6 grs 1114 FPS 9.4 SD / 29 ES

HP-38 P80 G19
4.4 grs 1064 FPS 9.5 SD / 38.8 ES
(COAL 1.100”)[emoji3596]
4.3 grs
4.4 grs 1086 FPS 10.3 SD / 35 ES

HP-38 Shield
(COAL 1.100”)[emoji3596]
4.3 grs
4.4 grs 1043 FPS 10.3 SD / 37 ES
4.6 grs 1063 FPS 11.4 SD / 39 ES

Since that bullet isn't enclosed on the base, I would certainly compare No 2 and W231 to TiteGroup since it will burn the hottest and may smoke more than you like. Western shows 4.2 grs. of No 2 with the 124 gr. WIN FMJ with a WSP and OACL of 1.100" giving 945 FPS.

Find the Max Possible length for the EV 124 and make your handloads .010" shorter. Since I use a number of Western powders, I hate to say that 9mm is the weakest link in their data. In many cases what others show as standard pressure loads will be in the +P range in the Western Data. And they didn't use the WIN 124 gr. FMJ in the +P data. This is one of very few times that I'll say to start with the Max standard pressure load, which I've already listed, while your OACL is at least 1.100" and hopefully longer since the EV 124 gr. FMJ has a pretty similar profile to the generic 124 gr. FMJ NATO bullets.

Just barely start the bullet into a FIRED case and put the over-length "dummy" in the barrels chamber. Push lightly on the rim until the case stops forward travel. At that point the barrels leade will seat the bullet to the Max possible while the rim should be slightly below the barrel hood. Do the test 5 times and make your the length is the same for each test. Then shorten the OACL for your handloads .010" below the Max Possible to ensure that any variations in OACL are not likely to allow the longest, loads bullets to be touching the leade upon ignition.

Using the RMR 124 gr. JHP at 1.122", I have loaded as high as 4.3 grs. of No 2 to get Minor power factor with no issues or signs of excessive pressure and you should be able to load the EV 124 gr. FMJ longer than 1.122". No 2 is insensitive to powder positioning so you want have to increase the powder charge as OACL increases.

With W231, Lyman shows the Max Charge as 4.4 grs. for both the Sierra 125 gr. JHP as well as the Sierra 130 gr. FMJ Tournament master at a much longer OACL of 1.160" while both bullets reach very near the same velocity. Depending on your barrel's length, that should put you close to 130 PF, and if standard deviation is at 5 FPS you're good to go (125 + 5). If you don't have a chronograph yet, you're gonna need one. Taking loads/velocity from others helps, but you need to know the velocity YOUR bullet leaves the muzzle at, or at say 12' which is the distance I chrono at.😉

Thanks all..............Great info.  I was somewhat in the ball park with my grains.  My barrels are 3"ers. Per above  by K Texas I found my COAL to be 1.125".   Just trying to stay safe!

Thanks again to all responders

Thanks all..............Great info.  I was somewhat in the ball park with my grains.  My barrels are 3"ers. Per above  by K Texas I found my COAL to be 1.125".   Just trying to stay safe!

If you have time and are so inclined can I suggest trying them at a shorter COAL?

I, and several other in here, have found that as a general rule (obvious exceptions always) JHP tend to shoot better at shorter COAL.

I find as a rule of thumb many JHP shoot best in the 1.095 to 1.110” range.

Maybe just try a few and see?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/1/2020 at 2:21 PM, K-Texas said:

Since that bullet isn't enclosed on the base, I would certainly compare No 2 and W231 to TiteGroup since it will burn the hottest and may smoke more than you like.

Titegroup and an FMJ have been an extremely common staple in the shooting world for years. While it certainly isn’t clean, it’s no worse than many factory offerings.

I don’t worry about the mess associated with titegroup unless I’m shooting coated bullets, or pushing FMJs through a comp.

On 3/2/2020 at 7:06 AM, mofosheee said:

Glad it worked out for you. I failed to mention that the FIRED case I typically use for the chamber-length test are WIN. Not saying that it's better than others, it's just one of the brands where the thickness at the case-mouth is usually pretty close to .011". The FIRED case should put enough tension on the bullet that it doesn't easily slide in the case. I'd say REM as well if I didn't have 3 different varieties in my brass collection. The new style being as thick as some foreign brands like CBC, but still easily identifiable by the text and shape of the case-rim..

With SPEER  and Federal being under the same ownership, you'd think they'd share brass, but they don't. Federal and Blazer are thinner. If you need to buy brass, Starline is always good, but if the price is better for WIN, they're still about as consistent as any.😉