Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many times do you reload your .40 brass...

forty5cal1911

If starting with once fired good factory brass, all fired from your comp pistol with fully supported barrel. How many times do you reload the same case if loading to major pf?

Second question is what is your threshold for no longer using it?

If starting with once fired good factory brass, all fired from your comp pistol with fully supported barrel. How many times do you reload the same case if loading to major pf?

Second question is what is your threshold for no longer using it?
Until the neck won't hold a crimp anymore

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

As many times as I can reclaim the brass. Although I've long since stopped doing 50 squats a day to grab brass during the competition day. But I buy 40 range brass from friends in the sport with no cares about how many times it's been fired. And I find very few split cases in 40. Maybe 2 or 3 in a batch of 5000.

I've come to the opinion that the only range pickup brass to be wary of is getting 9x19 fired through Open guns.

7 hours ago, ttolliver said:

I've come to the opinion that the only range pickup brass to be wary of is getting 9x19 fired through Open guns.

I shoot a lot of it (USPSA match range brass).

I do not know of anything you need to be careful of, I just pitch it after it splits. 

1 hour ago, DougM said:

I also load it until it splits.  I examine every round AFTER reloading it to be sure it hasn't split during the reloading process.  If it has, I disassemble the round and trash the brass.

pretty much. Life is too short to worry about such trivial things.
I pick up brass when I shoot, might be mine, might not, all goes in a bucket,,, gets sorted by caliber, thrown in tumbler and loaded. If I see something wonkee while loading it gets tossed,,, other wise I load it.

I practice with brass and shoot matches with nickel. It’s maybe 5% of my 40 pile but 75% or more of my just loaded cracked rounds are nickel. I now let  them be someone else’s problem.  I hate wacking loaded rounds.  At least with my revo I can shoot cracked rounds.

I’ve shot limited major for years and I’ve never kept count of how many times a piece gets loaded and fired. It has a way of cycling itself out Due to matches and practicing outdoors. You won’t ever get 100% of your brass back. 

also if you have a case gauge a cracked case won’t fit in the gauge. In my hundo a cracked case needs to really be jammed into the gauge for it to fit. That’s my red flag alarm to Examine the case before I shoot it. I wouldn’t worry about firing a loaded cracked case if you gauge all your ammo. 

Edited by Atlasguy321

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I tested this once upon a time

IIRC, I loaded known once fired brass to 40 major with 180 gr bullets and N320

After 10 firings including rollsizing as part of the reloading process they were all still GTG so I quit.