Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommend me a red dot please

dspring

I have two G45’s, one of them is a MOS and I would like to install a dot to start on that path. I hear good things about Holosun because of the multi reticle system, but am open to recommendations. 

I might compete in the future with it,  but it will take time to get proficient enough so for now nothing crazy please, I can always update later as I understand they are getting better anyway. 

I have always had RMR’s, but I picked up a Holosun 508T on Black Friday sale for under $300.

It’s on my P80 G19 carry gun.

The 507/508 use the RMR mounting pattern.

Honestly, I can’t see spending over $100 more for a RMR again. After a couple months of hard use and testing it’s won me over. Not saying RMR’s aren’t still at the top of the heap. They most likely still are. Just saying in my opinion, and the opinion of many others, the higher end Holosuns are on par, and sometimes several hundred dollars less.

I have heard the Holosuns were a little difficult to deal with warranty wise initially, but those that have had to warranty them as of late have had zero issues. I haven’t has to use the warranty yet.

Check out Arron Sage’s review on YouTube. The Holosuns are one of the few red dots he recommends for EDC.

I believe Holosun also released an updated 507/508 at shot show with the battery compartment in the side so you no longer have to remove the dot to change the battery.

As far as the multi reticle goes, not sure it has as much use on a pistol as it does on the larger 510/512 mounted on a rifle. I’ve messed with it a little, but it takes up so much of the glass on the 507/508 I find it a little distracting. I need to work with it a little more though. It may be good for super close quarter “oh crap” situations where you just need the gun on target quick with very little aiming. But who knows how practical that is? I have a 512 Green Dot that I also picked up on Black Friday mounted to a PCC. That thing is amaze balls. And I LOVE the multi reticle on that thing. So fast.

It’s not as though the Holosuns are “cheap”. They are still expensive red dots. But they are considerably less expensive than the RMR’s. Not matter which direction you go if it’s for EDC I’d stick with a proven model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry if I forgot to specify. This would not be for carrying.

My purpose is to learn how to use a dot and if I see good results to dip my toes in competition. I compete with iron sights currently but am not getting younger so I am curious about red dots. 

Sorry if I forgot to specify. This would not be for carrying.

My purpose is to learn how to use a dot and if I see good results to dip my toes in competition. I compete with iron sights currently but am not getting younger so I am curious about red dots. 

In that case. Leupold DPP. I have the one with the triangle. Forgot the exact MOA size. Don’t think I’d want it for for carry, but love it for carry optics comp stuff. Big glass glass. Easy to pickup for.

Probably be a good one to learn on, and there is for sure a learning curve to using red dots. Once you get it you’ll be way faster and more accurate than with irons, but I see quite a few people try it, get frustrated, and go back to iron sights.

Keep an eye on optics planet and DVOR. You can get them on sale discounted. Also see a few on the classified here.

If you want a quality red dot that’s cheap enough that you won’t feel bad if you don’t like them in your pistol the Burris FF3 should be on your list. In the end you may decide on something else, but you should at least consider it.

I am also just starting to play with red dots due to aging eyes and I have a FF3 on my G17 MOS and Ruger PCC.

Carry gun:   the RMR is the only current optic that makes me feel comfortable.

Gamer gun / range toy:  DPP, SRO in carry optics for a frame mounted optic.

Just one guy's opinion.  Well actually, there are many that feel this way.

If you want a quality red dot that’s cheap enough that you won’t feel bad if you don’t like them in your pistol the Burris FF3 should be on your list. In the end you may decide on something else, but you should at least consider it.

I am also just starting to play with red dots due to aging eyes and I have a FF3 on my G17 MOS and Ruger PCC.

On that note, OP:

I have a Burris FF 2 w/ pic rail and Glock dovetail mount for sale. I sent you a PM. Let me know if your interested.

I have the Atibal MRDv2 on my g45 MOS and it works well. I’d recommend it for you especially since you aren’t sure if you will want one. It’s a more economical option and I haven’t had any issues with it holding up

57 minutes ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

I have the Atibal MRDv2 on my g45 MOS and it works well. I’d recommend it for you especially since you aren’t sure if you will want one. It’s a more economical option and I haven’t had any issues with it holding up

Thank you, didn't even know that thing existed. I am wondering, in that price range, if it is not better to go with the Holosun 507c which I see on Amazon at $224 vs the Atibal which I see on at $205 on the PSA site.

Thoughts?

34 minutes ago, dspring said:

Thank you, didn't even know that thing existed. I am wondering, in that price range, if it is not better to go with the Holosun 507c which I see on Amazon at $224 vs the Atibal which I see on at $205 on the PSA site.

Thoughts?

I don't have personal experience with the Holosun 507c, but I do know a guy that uses the Holosun on one of his carry optic pistols and hasn't had issues with it.  I would say that you would be fine either direction that you went

I have a gen 1 Holosun 507c on my Carry Optics G17. Over 8k rounds so far in less than a year, not a single problem. I think I would like a SRO better, but I wasn't willing to spend the coin to find out (this is my first red dot on a pistol). I can't recommend the Holosun enough, if you're looking in that price point. I've been extremely happy and don't believe the dot is holding me back one bit.

I am on the fence between a vortex Venom and a Holosun 507c,  will probably go frame mount,,,, got a couple vortex vipers without issue, other than if I leave it on and need to replace battery I lose zero.  1 is frame mount, 1 is slide mounted...

On 3/1/2020 at 7:06 AM, robchavous said:

For carry I think the RMR is probably still king.

For competition the SRO and DPP seem most prevalent.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I agree...

7 hours ago, TrackCage said:

I have a gen 1 Holosun 507c on my Carry Optics G17. Over 8k rounds so far in less than a year, not a single problem. I think I would like a SRO better, but I wasn't willing to spend the coin to find out (this is my first red dot on a pistol). I can't recommend the Holosun enough, if you're looking in that price point. I've been extremely happy and don't believe the dot is holding me back one bit.

I agree!

On 3/1/2020 at 12:20 PM, Clay1 said:

Carry gun:   the RMR is the only current optic that makes me feel comfortable.

Gamer gun / range toy:  DPP, SRO in carry optics for a frame mounted optic.

Just one guy's opinion.  Well actually, there are many that feel this way.

Mine too!

Well I bought a Holosun in the end and, thanks to the very gracious @iflyskyhigh who alerted me of a discount code at Optics Planet, I got it at a discount. 

Will need time to learn and practice, as I said this is a project aimed at becoming proficient, having fun, and one day compete with it. 

Thanks everyone for your helpful and valuable inputs, much appreciated. 

Keep us posted after you play with it a bit. Holosun’s are getting more and more popular, and if they can be had for about $200 I may have to grab one just to see what they’re like. Not sure if I’d put it on a pistol or PCC.

Holosun and trijicon are both good choices in two different pricing tiers. The burris ff3 is come down significantly with the announcement of the ff4, you should be able to pick up a new one for under $200 and a used one in the $140-160 range for a basic dot to see if you like it.

Very happy with my SRO and would recommend it for a game or recreational red dot. I have some round on an RMR and that is what I would use for carry. 

Put some rounds through a Holosun which worked great and the owner loves it. It gets nothing but good reviews as well. 

Lots of people love the DPP but I’ve seen quite a few that don’t. And know of plenty that are switching away from it. Personally I will steer clear and stick to Trijicon or Holosun. 

For competition use here is my opinion. I recently put a Vortex Venom with the 6 MOA dot on my Glock 17. Since I wasn't sure I would like it and didn't want to screw around with my gun, I bought an aftermarket slide from Lone Wolf (about $180) and had the slide milled specifically for the Venom by Battlewerx ($75). I like it so much I am going to put it on my Glock 34. The Venom cost me around $219. I am impressed with the Venom so far. 

Begun practicing with the dot, and I have a question. Without glasses everything is super sharp, but the glasses create a hell of a halo. Is there a way to fix this?

Quality of the Holosun is good prima facie but obviously time will tell. I definitively like the green color better than the red (I was with a friend who had the 707c in red), and I love the ability to change reticle. Halo from hell is a spoiler but not insurmountable. 

17 hours ago, dspring said:

Begun practicing with the dot, and I have a question. Without glasses everything is super sharp, but the glasses create a hell of a halo. Is there a way to fix this?

Quality of the Holosun is good prima facie but obviously time will tell. I definitively like the green color better than the red (I was with a friend who had the 707c in red), and I love the ability to change reticle. Halo from hell is a spoiler but not insurmountable. 

are they just  safety glasses or are they prescription glasses?   Do you have an astigmatism?   

4 hours ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

are they just  safety glasses or are they prescription glasses?   Do you have an astigmatism?   

I dry fire with my bifocals at home, and when I shoot I have a pair of polarized lenses, the lens on the dominant eye side is a prescription which allows me to focus clearly on the front sight.

4 hours ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

Not the op, but I have an astigmatism and I use to have an inexpensive dot on a carbine that looked like two dots connectioned by a chain.  I couldn't figure out which dot to aim with.

On the pistols, I'm running the Trijicon RMR with absolutely no issues.  So Astigmatism is optic dependent. 

DS:  you are no longer shooting off of the front sight, with a dot you should be threat focused or target focused.  You need a regular distance set of lenses to shoot the dot.  Personally my Wiley X shooting glasses have a prescription with progressive lenses.  No progressive lenses and I don't keep score.  HA

Edited by Clay1