Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 special and Accurate Arms #2 ?

ysrracer

AA2 is one of those powders in the do everything speed range. Bit slower and cooler than tightgroup, so you dont get the coating smoke, faster than Unique, so keeps the flash, charge weight and snap down.  In the older lines it was kinda fine grained, they have made the grains a bit larger so it takes up a bit more room and works better with auto powder dispensers.
One thing its lacking is a fancy new name to get everyone talking about it. You know a name like "Cleanshot" LOL

Was a recent thread when the question was asked, Why no love for AA2,,  I think it was buried in a thread loving on Cleanshot.
Cleanshot is the older AA2 from the factory that used to make AA2, 
I shoot 38 mousefart to 357 pin loads, 45 pin loads, 9mm minor, 9mm full power, 40 minor, 40 major.  Will be ordering a Keg of AA2, it will do all this. As  soon as I use up my various 1 lb jugs of tightgroup, WST, and American Select.

6 hours ago, Joe4d said:

In the older lines it was kinda fine grained, they have made the grains a bit larger so it takes up a bit more room and works better with auto powder dispensers.

You have a good memory sir!

SP Ref 609 10x.jpg

Powder_0000184.jpg

6 hours ago, Joe4d said:

One thing its lacking is a fancy new name to get everyone talking about it. You know a name like "Cleanshot" LOL

People put too much stock into brand loyalty or the newest super duper powder. I'll use ANY versatile powder that works in the calibers I shoot. I recently found IMR Target for $150 CAD per 8 lbs. I almost bought everything they had in stock. I know absolutely nothing about  Target except that it's a copy of Bullseye and that alone was good enough for me. I'll never tell someone else how to spend their money but I try to spend mine wisely.

Edited by 4n2t0

13 hours ago, Joe4d said:

AA2 is one of those powders in the do everything speed range. Bit slower and cooler than tightgroup, so you dont get the coating smoke, faster than Unique, so keeps the flash, charge weight and snap down.  In the older lines it was kinda fine grained, they have made the grains a bit larger so it takes up a bit more room and works better with auto powder dispensers.

Was a recent thread when the question was asked, Why no love for AA2,,  I think it was buried in a thread loving on Cleanshot.
Cleanshot is the older AA2 from the factory that used to make AA2, 
I shoot 38 mousefart to 357 pin loads, 45 pin loads, 9mm minor, 9mm full power, 40 minor, 40 major.  Will be ordering a Keg of AA2, it will do all this. As  soon as I use up my various 1 lb jugs of tightgroup, WST, and American Select.

That's also the case with AA No 5, 7 and 9 with the former versions made by EXPlosia/Lovex and sold in the USA as Shooter's World. No 2 either current or the Clean Shot version will work well. And lower pressure cartridges like the .38 Special is one of the best applications for TiteGroup. The trick being that the powder is not sensitive to powder positioning. There are some older choices that are also very good like Bullseye. 

I've made some test loads with the current AA No 2 and True Blue that does well considering that it's a slower burner than Unique, and lots of powders faster burning than Unique work well for the .38 Special where the newer IMR flake powders compete with the older Alliant powders.

One bullet I look forward to using with AA No 2 is a coated 158 gr. SWC.😉

Edited by K-Texas

3 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

You have a good memory sir!

SP Ref 609 10x.jpg

Powder_0000184.jpg

People put too much stock into brand loyalty or the newest super duper powder. I'll use ANY versatile powder that works in the calibers I shoot. I recently found IMR Target for $150 CAD per 8 lbs. I almost bought everything they had in stock. I know absolutely nothing about  Target except that it's a copy of Bullseye and that alone was good enough for me. I'll never tell someone else how to spend their money but I try to spend mine wisely.

Well considering IMR is basically no more and just a name under the HOdgdon umbrella, Id be real surprised if IMR target wasnt actually the same powder as tightgroup based on the burn rate listed. Maybe not. Could be something like 231..  But other than it might give some smoke on moly coated cast bullets. I would guess it would do anything you want in 9mm or 40 to 45 major

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

Well considering IMR is basically no more and just a name under the HOdgdon umbrella, Id be real surprised if IMR target wasnt actually the same powder as tightgroup based on the burn rate listed. Maybe not. Could be something like 231..  But other than it might give some smoke on moly coated cast bullets. I would guess it would do anything you want in 9mm or 40 to 45 major

Once again you're right on the mark. There's not much out there but it's Hodgdons attempt at Bullseye. All the data puts it very near Bullseye/Titegroup. They've probably just flaked Titegroup, lol.

IMR-Target.thumb.jpg.9275619fb41e77871d08ec6d954aafde.jpg

Edited by 4n2t0

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

Any feed back on AA#5 verses AA#2 in .38 special? Again, I'm loading 160gr coated bullets that have to make minor.

I don't know about all Minor PF loads, but AA No. 5 definitely has application in .38 Special. Maybe better with a lighter bullets like a 125 gr. as far as making loads around 130 PF.

As far as the IMR equivalents to Alliant powders, keep in mind that TiteGroup is a spherical, or flattened ball type. I don't use any flake powders and haven't for a good many years, but those I consider the best are single-based flake. Meaning that Nitroglycerin is not added to the Nitrocellulose, as is the case for most Alliant flake powders and the IMR copies. 2 of the best flake powders that were supposed to have been discontinued several years ago are IMR SR 7625 & 4756. AA S1000. which comes from Spain, I don't have any experience with, mainly because of my move to sphericals at least 15 years ago.

When TiteGroup first became available, there were some rumors that circulated about it being a former Winchester shotgun/pistol powder that was being discontinued before being re-labelled as TiteGroup. No doubt about it being a very hot burning powder, but that can be controlled by using it in lower pressure cartridges like .38 Special and .45 ACP.😉