Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147gr JHP at 1,000fps

alzo

On 3/9/2020 at 1:18 PM, rooster said:

Go to natoreloading.com. Click 9mm and keep scrolling till you get to the chart where they compare 147 gr. Bullets. They list about 12 different powders that push a 147 to 1000 fps. This site is fantastic for 9mm info.

I did prior to starting this thread.  There is a lot of good info there on a variety of powders.  But most of those 147gr loads at, or above 1,000fps are beyond manufacturers’ recommended max.

On 3/10/2020 at 2:50 PM, alzo said:

I did prior to starting this thread.  There is a lot of good info there on a variety of powders.  But most of those 147gr loads at, or above 1,000fps are beyond manufacturers’ recommended max.

As I'm sure you're aware, only one of the major powder companies actually manufacture: Alliant Flake Handgun and Shotgun Powders. All Western and Hodgdon powders are manufactured by others like St Marks in FLA (Sphericals), and General Dynamics Canada (Flake and extruded Rifle) P.B. Clermont in Belgium (Ramshot). With the exception of the foreign brands who generate their own load data, V-V, Norma (no current handgun data) and Lovex, pressure testing is done either in their own ballistics labs, or tested by others.

The reality is that Lyman's been doing it longer than anyone unless Hercules (now Alliant) was giving data back when they introduced Bullseye. Ideal (Lyman) was making hand tools even before the invention of Smokeless powder. The biggest difference you'd likely observe using data for the SPEER 147 gr. TMJ is that Jacketed bullets will be slightly higher in velocity at the same charge-weight. The Start Charge for True Blue is 5.0 grs. for 871 FPS, a CCI500 and an OACL of 1.115" generating 28,700 CUP. In other words 4300 CUP below SAAMI Max Average Pressure of 33,000 CUP. Lyman doesn't always use the bullet we'd like to see in the data, but neither are they so likely to use something as atypical as a 147 gr. Golden Saber. I'll be testing an RMR 147 gr. TC FMJ at 1.142"/29mm a little later. The charge is 4.6 grs. of True Blue which I'm hoping will be right around 884 FPS/130 PF and that's from a 4.47" barrel. If I were going to estimate the charge difference between the SPEER 147 gr. TMJ and a jacketed bullet, I'd say .2 grs. but their start charge is well under the SAAMI MAP.😉

• 1 month later...