Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.5 Grendel build

usmc1974

Finally got around to building it. I am no great big name builder but, It came out awesome too. 

..AR-15, 6.5 Grendel.

Spike's Tactical lower and upper, Spike's Tactical lower parts kit Plus. The barrel is a Sanders Armory match 20 inch stainless 1 in 8 twist. R5 rifling. Rifle length gas tube, low Pro adjustable gas block. the trigger is from Tommy tactical 2 stage 4 1/2 lb match trigger. Handguard is from just rails 19in lightweight. Stock is mil-spec. The comp is a 9 port unbranded. Have an Athlon Argos first focal plane, 6 -24 x 50mm and a Harris bipod 6-9 in
400 rounds of American Gunner 6.5 Grendel 123 JHP coming from Grabagun. After a serious barrel break in. I could keep 10 rounds in 1" for me, that is great.

20200219_124740-1.jpg

3 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Gonna handload for it?

Yes I'm,   the Load I'm going to be using is a RFD 140 grain with 28 Gr of accurate 2520. Overall length of 2.250 in Hornady brass with CCI primers. This is a load that I got off of YouTube of Johnny's reloading bench, I get a lot of his loads and they've always work good he's got it going 2279 out of his 18 in White Oaks Barrel. I'm thinking out the my 20in sanders match R5 rifling I get 2300 and that keeps me Super Sonic well past a thousand yards with good energy. Anyway that's the plan

Edited by usmc1974

Nosler's RDF 140 has a G7 BC of 0.33 which is pretty awesome. In my 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun, I can keep this round at about 2" at 300 yards. I've seen guys shoot 2 inch groups at 500 and 600 yards but I'm not one of those guys. Plus it's even hard to find someplace to shoot that far.

I use Strelok pro 5.2.4 and it's been pretty accurate so far it tells me.  if I get this bullet to 2300 feet per second at a thousand yards it is still going 1212 feet per second has 457 lb of energy

Edited by usmc1974

Are you looking to hunt with it also or it going to be for punching paper and hitting steel?  What are you looking at for a hunting load?

Tony,

For the 6mm Grendel do you have to do anything to the brass after you size it down?

7 hours ago, TRG65 said:

Tony,

For the 6mm Grendel do you have to do anything to the brass after you size it down?

Neck down and done, its great. This is my first five shot group with it, 40 rounds down the barrel at this point. Barnes 112gr Match Burners with a .62 BC going 2640fps. Center to center it was a .43" group.

10139.jpeg

Edited by TonytheTiger

7 hours ago, TRG65 said:

Are you looking to hunt with it also or it going to be for punching paper and hitting steel?  What are you looking at for a hunting load?

Maybe a little hunting but mostly, punching Steel at long range I mean small steel like 16 wide 18 long out to a thousand yards. I want to push 140 grain boat tail hollow point a 2,300 feet per second at the muzzle. I'm looking for 1200 + fps @ 1000. 

Plan on working up a load with a 140 grain rdf from Nosler, I'm going to start with 27.1 grains of accurate 2520 and work up to 28 for the max load.

Well I got the results I wanted I'm really happy with this rifle and caliber. Going to have to work on the group's a little bit try to shrink them down, but the guy next to me at the range shooting a cannon with a serious compliment. But that said rifle is awesome.

The brass in the picture, the Silver primer is my 28 grain load and the brass colored primer is the factory American Gunner from Hornady so I'm really getting no pressure signs at all, no extractor marks aside from being a little dirtier than the factory load. I like this powder and load will see how it goes

20200304_143338-2.jpg

20200304_143338-1.jpg

On 2/29/2020 at 11:43 PM, TonytheTiger said:

Keep us posted on 140's in a Grendel. I tried 130's and on paper the BC had it beating lighter bullets but in reality the speeds weren't enough to give it any advantage.

Then I bailed on 6.5 and went 6mm Grendel.

Whose barrel are you using and the twist on this?

Barrel is a Sanders Armory 20" match stainless Barrel 1 in 8 twist with R5 rifling. The Nosler rdf 140 has a G7 ballistic coefficient 330. Strelok  pro has this round at 1212 fps and 449 fpe at 1000 yards. That is more than good enough for me if I can just shrink these groups down to 1moa.

Edited by usmc1974

7 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

Well I got the results I wanted I'm really happy with this rifle and caliber. Going to have to work on the group's a little bit try to shrink them down, but the guy next to me at the range shooting a cannon with a serious compliment. But that said rifle is awesome.

The brass in the picture, the Silver primer is my 28 grain load and the brass colored primer is the factory American Gunner from Hornady so I'm really getting no pressure signs at all, no extractor marks aside from being a little dirtier than the factory load. I like this powder and load will see how it goes

20200304_143338-2.jpg

20200304_143338-1.jpg

Looks like 2300fps isn't out of the question. What do those long bullets look like loaded to 2.25"? I'd probably cut some mags to gain some seating depth wiggle room.

6 hours ago, Dan Sierpina said:

Whose barrel are you using and the twist on this?

An X-Caliber 22" 7.7 twist with +2 gas. Super pleased with it so far. I'm about 120 rounds in, half of that on paper without a single 5 shot group over .7 and the other half on steel. Smacks the 10" plate at 1020yds harder than I thought a small frame AR ever could.

10082.jpeg

10081.jpeg

6 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

An X-Caliber 22" 7.7 twist with +2 gas. Super pleased with it so far. I'm about 120 rounds in, half of that on paper without a single 5 shot group over .7 and the other half on steel. Smacks the 10" plate at 1020yds harder than I thought a small frame AR ever could.

10082.jpeg

10081.jpeg

That's a pretty awesome looking weapon, Tony. When I look at the brass and there's no pressure signs, just a nice round primer. it could probably go higher but I'm good with 2300. I figure I can get these groups under one inch pretty easy after I get a few more rounds down the barrel.

20200304_153141-1.jpg

15 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

That's a pretty awesome looking weapon, Tony. When I look at the brass and there's no pressure signs, just a nice round primer. it could probably go higher but I'm good with 2300. I figure I can get these groups under one inch pretty easy after I get a few more rounds down the barrel.

20200304_153141-1.jpg

Thanks! Thats a decent ES, have you played with seating depth any?

12 hours ago, Dan Sierpina said:

Nice rig Tony. Is that an Athlon scope on it?

Thanks! Yeah its a gen 1 Ares BTR 4.5-27x. It had the same Argos that usmc1974 has, but when they clearanced out the first gen Ares I couldn't resist.

18 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Ever consider cutting a mag to get to about 2.35 OAL? It definitely opens up some possibilities when loading for an AR.

Thought about that, but I also have a bobsled bought for single  round load matches. so I wouldn't have to. I wonder though what you could get out of this round if you was the loaded in a bolt action rifle then you could stretch it out. And maybe get close to 6.5 Creedmoor.

This thread really got me thinking about building a 6mm or 6.5mm Grendel off of one of my AR platforms, but yesterday I managed to trade my one AR on an older GAP-10 6.5 Creedmoor.  I didn't realize how much more  there was to an AR10 than an AR15, and the GAP-10 is built focusing on precision so everything is extra heavy and stout. It weighs in at 11.5#, so with scope and bipod I'm guessing more like 15# give or take a 1/2 pound.  I bet your Grendels are significantly more portable.  I can't wait for some goodies to arrive and some work free time so I can get to the range.  

2 hours ago, TRG65 said:

This thread really got me thinking about building a 6mm or 6.5mm Grendel off of one of my AR platforms, but yesterday I managed to trade my one AR on an older GAP-10 6.5 Creedmoor.  I didn't realize how much more  there was to an AR10 than an AR15, and the GAP-10 is built focusing on precision so everything is extra heavy and stout. It weighs in at 11.5#, so with scope and bipod I'm guessing more like 15# give or take a 1/2 pound.  I bet your Grendels are significantly more portable.  I can't wait for some goodies to arrive and some work free time so I can get to the range.  

Geez Louise, that's exactly why I didn't want an AR-10 or 6.5 Creedmoor. Now I have a great 6.5 Creedmoor, a custom Savage bolt gun that shoots 2 in at 300 yards all day but it weighs 16 lb.  my Grendel in the picture with everything on it including the magazine weighs 9.14 pounds and is much smaller and much easier to maneuver.