Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wood Laminated Thumbhole Stocks - Ruger 10/22

Hoops

My hands are thick and wide but fingers not long.  For steel challenge I use a tacticl Knoxx Axiom adjustable stock.   I want to use a wood laminated thumbhole stock but a couple I have tried were too thick around the top of the grip.....the tip of my trigger finger only reaches the right front edge of the trigger.  It's not a natural grip for me.  

The LOP on these all seem to be in the 13.5 to 14" range and I prefer 12.5". 

Has anyone with a similar issues found a laminated stock with smaller dimensions?

Anyone tried sanding down the backside of the grip inside the thumbhole to reduce the trigger distance?

Thanks

18 minutes ago, nso123 said:

You could check the Altamont stock. I am not sure of the dimensions on it, but Kurt Grimes has made some posts about them lately. 

Thank you.

i looked up Altamont.  Their Barracuda is the style I'm interested in.  It has the 14" LOP.  I'm going to call them to see if they take custom dimension orders.

I have tried a few different stocks and like you wanted a little something different to fit the dimensions of my hand.  I broke out a saw and the belt sander to make the adjustments I felt were good for me.   I would rather just have an off the shelf product for repeatability,  but just wanted a different feel.  Trying different butt pads also can make a great difference. The top stock is an unmodified Vantage RS and the bottom was the outcome.  Good luck.

IMG_7361.jpg.f08790cc85b75286c400266bd2fd3af1.jpgIMG_7362.jpg.620d1d8ba1039130ef56e874da98f055.jpg

8 minutes ago, PeterParfinik said:

I have tried a few different stocks and like you wanted a little something different to fit the dimensions of my hand.  I broke out a saw and the belt sander to make the adjustments I felt were good for me.   I would rather just have an off the shelf product for repeatability,  but just wanted a different feel.  Trying different butt pads also can make a great difference. The top stock is an unmodified Vantage RS and the bottom was the outcome.  Good luck.

IMG_7361.jpg.f08790cc85b75286c400266bd2fd3af1.jpgIMG_7362.jpg.620d1d8ba1039130ef56e874da98f055.jpg

Very nice work.  Looks good.  Your modified stock is the type/shape  I’m looking for.  You’ve Inspired me to attempt the same thing.  Thanks for photos.

6 hours ago, PeterParfinik said:

Peter - Would you consider cutting my current Ruger Target-Lite stock to this or as similar as possible design?  If so can you message me and let me know what you would charge me. I do not have the skills or ability to even thing about trying this with my stock but would pay you to do mine....You cannot mess mine up as I LOVE the look of your stock post work...Thanks Mark

Bought the Vantage RS stock and it was a bit too long.  I removed the butt pad, and cut off 1" on the band-saw.  Reattached the pad and it was a perfect fit.

It's wood so it's pretty easy to reshape the pistol grip with wood rasps, files & sandpaper and customize it to get a perfect fit.

1 hour ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

Bought the Vantage RS stock and it was a bit too long.  I removed the butt pad, and cut off 1" on the band-saw.  Reattached the pad and it was a perfect fit.

It's wood so it's pretty easy to reshape the pistol grip with wood rasps, files & sandpaper and customize it to get a perfect fit.

Thanks.  The Vantage RS stock seems to offer a lot of modifing possiblities for fit and weight.  I am considering buying one and jumping in. 

However, I have also been looking a Revolution NOMAD stock.   It's basic shape is close and OAL is 26.5" with 13.5" LOP.   I am not a fan of finger grooves in the grip because they probably won't fit my hand.  The backside of the grip looks like it could be modified (and remove finger grooves) and room to trim off the butt stock.

Anyone have a Revolution NOMAD 10/22 stock?

After several phone calls to stock manufactureres/vendors and your feedback here on this forum, the conclusion I arrived at is the best stock with enough wood to allow for butt stock trimming and grip modifications, etc. is the Vantage RS.  Since my will power regarding buying gun parts is about zero, I ordered the Vantage RS stock today.  Should arrive Wednesday.

Thanks..................

A couple of reasons I used a Vantage stock was that I picked one up used for half the price of new, and the comb is very large so it gives a lot of opportunity to sand for fit, and some cast on, like the shotgun guys have on some of their stocks.  Good luck with your project, and  Post some pictures.

I’d like to see it with the rifle in the stock if you could please

On 2/29/2020 at 9:47 PM, PeterParfinik said:

Peter, did you reduce the LOP by sawing off part of the butt stock and replacing pad?  I am trying to guage the pictures.  If you did, did you experience any chipping on the butt cross-cut?  Blade or band cut?

Thanks............Hoops

On 3/3/2020 at 2:04 PM, Hoops said:

Peter, did you reduce the LOP by sawing off part of the butt stock and replacing pad?  I am trying to guage the pictures.  If you did, did you experience any chipping on the butt cross-cut?  Blade or band cut?

Thanks............Hoops

not Peter, but wrap the cut-line with painter's tape or masking tape to prevent tear-out. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PeterParfinik said:

After a number of hours of sanding and refinishing, this was the outcome.

IMG_7937.jpg.c8bab48e54b2af55bfb0d3e34ef95c7c.jpgIMG_7935.jpg.2250067ba26812c2927d7023533f7ac3.jpg

That looks good. I am sure it was some work to get down to the laminate. 

Edited by nso123

1 hour ago, PeterParfinik said:

After a number of hours of sanding and refinishing, this was the outcome.

IMG_7937.jpg.c8bab48e54b2af55bfb0d3e34ef95c7c.jpgIMG_7935.jpg.2250067ba26812c2927d7023533f7ac3.jpg

Very nice wood grain.  Good job!!

Since I started this topic, I have held several stocks and bought a stocky's stocks Stinger.  Unfortunately for me I am just not able to overcome one main issue:  the distance from the back of the grip to the trigger.  I just can't get a position on the trigger that I need for Steel Challenge.  I did some drimel work on the grip (actually turned out nice) and got close but just not quite enough.  I decided to set the project aside and look at it again in a week and decide if I want to take anymore off the backside of the grip handle.  A work-in-progress for now.

Hoops,  When I started with the TacSol Vantage, I only did a small amount at a time also, but each time I made a change I took it to the range and shot a few stages to see how it really felt before saying it was good enough to finish. Now after shooting it for 6 months I am ready to tweak it a bit more. Pete

Pete, you have a good point.  I took it to the range yesterday to zero red-dot.  Didn't quite like it.  I will be going out to my normal range later this week and set up a couple of SC stages.  Will see how it feels under the "buzzer" and quick transitions.  Will take your advice.  Thanks