Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.401 cast bullet issue

doane

A buddy of mine gave me some .40 brass and 100 ea 180 grain cast TC bullets. I hadn't had a chance to load any until this morning. Fortunately I only loaded ten of them. Once I had them loaded I decided to make sure they would chamber in my G22. The first one in jammed it up tight. I'm pretty sure the cast bullet jammed into the rifling and it took some swearing and I was finally able to get it out. I tried that same bullet in the factory barrel as well as an Alpha Wolf barrel and it stuck in both.

OAL was 1.10" per Lyman load data for that bullet. I also shortened the load by a few thousandths and it still stuck.

Is it possible that those barrels aren't suited for that profile lead bullet? Or is there potentially some other issue I've not thought of?

A buddy of mine gave me some .40 brass and 100 ea 180 grain cast TC bullets. I hadn't had a chance to load any until this morning. Fortunately I only loaded ten of them. Once I had them loaded I decided to make sure they would chamber in my G22. The first one in jammed it up tight. I'm pretty sure the cast bullet jammed into the rifling and it took some swearing and I was finally able to get it out. I tried that same bullet in the factory barrel as well as an Alpha Wolf barrel and it stuck in both.
OAL was 1.10" per Lyman load data for that bullet. I also shortened the load by a few thousandths and it still stuck.
Is it possible that those barrels aren't suited for that profile lead bullet? Or is there potentially some other issue I've not thought of?

You need more crimp

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

it took some swearing and I was finally able to get it out "

--------------

That's the funny part I laughed. Swearing helps, doesn't it? Ha Ha

You probably have a bulged brass casing or a belled mouth still left on your brass. 

Edited by Glockster1

2 hours ago, Rnlinebacker said:

You need more crimp

My last step was with the factory crimp die set just like when I load blue bullets or plated, both of which easily plunk into the barrel

First, 1.10" is problay the minimum oal for that bullet. And that short the bullet should not be hitting the rifling. I use TC bulllets at 1.185" and have no problem.

Are you sure it's the bullet hitting the rifling? If it is, you should clearly see marks on the bullet when you extract a loaded round from the gun. I'm thinking you're doing someting to cause the brass to bulge, or not crimping enough. If either is the case, then you should see marks on the side of the brass, or case mouth, when you extract a loaded round.

On 2/29/2020 at 4:09 PM, Rnlinebacker said:

You need more crimp

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

He is right.

This evening I cranked the factory crimp die down more than I ever had and those bullets feed just fine