Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to Open guns, 38 Super Comp testing load advice needed

DukeSoprano

45 minutes ago, zzt said:

Not bad.  I'd like to see a little less splatter, but that might just be the contrast.  My splatter is lighter and more gray.  Describe your gun (poppels and comp) and what the PF of that load is and I'll opine further.  Also, how far away from the target was the front of your comp?

3 poppel holes, I believe they are 3/16th, and a binary engineering 3 port comp. That power factor was about 167/168

I shot from 2 inches away, took a tape measure and measured it out.

48 minutes ago, zzt said:

Not bad.  I'd like to see a little less splatter, but that might just be the contrast.  My splatter is lighter and more gray.  Describe your gun (poppels and comp) and what the PF of that load is and I'll opine further.  Also, how far away from the target was the front of your comp?

Also for less splatter I would need to go up a few grains?

13 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Also for less splatter I would need to go up a few grains?

No.  More powder means more gas.  If your SDs are low enough that the slowest of a ten round string still makes major, you can stay where you are.   Personally, I'd experiment.  I have never used a BE comp, so that may in fact be typical for one.  Or possibly your comp was align reamed to .375" (common) instead of the  .369" specified by BE. 

Make two batches of loads at 172 and 175 PF and shoot them compared to your 168 load.  If either feels softer, go with the softest.  If harder, then your 168 load is matched to your gun.  I'd still go up to at least 170 PF to be sure I chrono major at a L II or III match.