Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The next new thing. It will be all that hotness

Climbhard

Ok. I been pondering this concept for half an hour. One question:

Why would I want to do that? The whole idea of a polymer grip is to make it light weight. Adding tungsten would make it really heavy. You gain no real benefit and lose the original benefit. Why not just get a steel grip and be done with it.

37 minutes ago, Dranoel said:

Why would I want to do that? The whole idea of a polymer grip is to make it light weight. Adding tungsten would make it really heavy. You gain no real benefit and lose the original benefit. Why not just get a steel grip and be done with it.

Maybe cost and natural lubricity for easier mag changes?  IDK though

1 hour ago, Dranoel said:

you get the weight of the steel and flex of polymer . Should solve cracking issues on steel grips 

I think with the success of the Sig Legion and TXG grip module that it will come sometime soon. Possibly on an STI Staccato due to its popularity in the carry and tactical world? I wonder if STI has anything in the works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Specialneeds said:

I thought polymer was prone to flexing. Which lead to issues with sear spring location.

If you want weight, a steel grip and brass magwell would likely go farther.

What is the cause behind steel grips cracking? I have not really heard of this.

I hadn't heard of the steel grips cracking either. And I don't WANT my grips to flex. That's why I don't do plastic guns. Solid steel grips would be similar weight to tungsten "Infused(?)" or heavier and likely stronger as well. And won't melt if you leave it in your car in south Texas on a sunny day.

On 2/29/2020 at 4:10 PM, RJH said:

Maybe cost and natural lubricity for easier mag changes?  IDK though

Tungsten ain't cheap. And mags in my steel frames will clear the frame when ejected at 10 degrees from horizontal. Natural lubricity? Don't see that I ever needed it.

All this is sounding like a lot more of the High-Priced, Hi-Tech gadgety-gizmo stuff that solves problems that didn't really exist to start with. 

I like the idea and would love to see it.  I think Sig holds the patent on the infusion. Not sure, but STI could sell some grips. Not sure if they would even be interested if possible. Yes, tungsten is expensive, but it would not raise the price that much, since the molds are already made. I am speculating on this though, since I only have experience in cutting up grips.

On 3/1/2020 at 9:52 PM, Dranoel said:

I hadn't heard of the steel grips cracking either. And I don't WANT my grips to flex. That's why I don't do plastic guns. Solid steel grips would be similar weight to tungsten "Infused(?)" or heavier and likely stronger as well. And won't melt if you leave it in your car in south Texas on a sunny day.

I was always under the impression that 2011’s were designed with polymer grips so they WOULD flex. A couple of gunsmiths have also made that assertion