Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

COVID-19 and the 2020 IPSC HG WORLD SHOOT

Suer

Just saw a report this morning advising to read the fine print on trip insurance VERY carefully. Most cover you for unforeseen events/tragedies/catastrophes, etc., but this Covid-19 outbreak has now reached a point that the insurance providers are saying it is NOT an unforeseen event. Alternately, there is trip insurance available that would cover you in ANY situation, including this virus outbreak, but it is very expensive.

Short takeaway -- shop carefully.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it highly unlikely the WS will take place as scheduled.

FIS has cancelled the remainder of the ski season

ATP/WTA have cancelled Indian Wells event

NBA season is on hold

Travel ban for Europe

hmm, just do the math

5 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

I have … It's something like 8 months to the WS.  A lot can happen, both good and ill (pun intended!)

It's simply too early to make a prediction at this point in time.

Yep, we can have another pandemia in 8 months :)

17 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

I have … It's something like 8 months to the WS.  A lot can happen, both good and ill (pun intended!)

It's simply too early to make a prediction at this point in time.

Agreed. Nearly everything suspended is for a short period. 8 months is forever.

If anything, at the moment, I'd be more concerned with the MG Nationals in Florida in a couple of weeks and the SS/L10/Rev Nationals in Alabama in late April.  Let me emphasize, I've not heard ANYTHING on those matches at this point in time, but they are the ones that would be currently on my radar.

I'd bet most matches, world wide and in the U.S. are going to get, voluntarily or due to travel restrictions,  postponed or cancelled.  

I don't know as if I agree, but that's where it's heading. 

NBA, MLS, NCAA (NO march madness) are all suspended and the list just keeps growing.

May well be the year to stock up on our reloads!  I need more brass!

I think WS can't held  in Thailand until 2021 or may be 2022!

I mean the situation of Covid-19  will becomes better when the vaccine could be ready for widespread use.

You can read  the following topics and conclude by yourself;

1.Coronavirus: COVID-19 Is Now Officially A Pandemic, WHO Says.
(https://www.team-iha.org/news/coronavirus-covid-19-is-now-officially-a-pandemic)

2. THPSA(the Match Organizers) is under the  Sports Authority of Thailand/SAS.
"The Sports Authority of Thailand has called on people in the country's sporting circles to support its efforts to combat the spread of Covid-19."
(https://www.bangkokpost.com/sports/1873344/sat-announces-plans-to-counter-covid-19)

3. COVID-19 vaccine 
Even if initial safety tests go well, “you’re talking about a year to a year and a half” before any vaccine could be ready for widespread use, stressed Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of NIH’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.(https://apnews.com/6744922daee56af18aef0c10de394740)
------------------------------------------
 It's mean that  IPSC HG WS will held in Thailand in about  mid next year or the end of next year 2021!,
Isn't it?
----------------------------------

8 hours ago, Suer said:

---------------------------------------

It's mean that  IPSC HG WS will held in Thailand in about  mid next year or the end of next year 2021!,
Isn't it?
----------------------------------

Good theory, Suer ... But at this juncture only a theory.  The strongest argument you present hinges on your Thai Sports Authority and THPSA.  It's kind of in their hands ...

I still think it's too early to make the call.  This thing could get worse or go away long before November.

Edited by Schutzenmeister

I am on the Covid-19 Preparedness Committee at our local hospital, and I've lost track of how many meetings we have had.  On Friday, we had a retired physician from the CDC come and speak with us.  She has decades of experience, and she was intimately involved with dealing with Ebola and SARS.  She mentioned something I had not thought of, and it helped explain the draconian methods being used in our country.  They are trying to eliminate the threat of Covid-19 so we aren't having to deal with it year after year like the flu.  They are trying to eradicate this disease from our country, and it is looking that is still possible.

The reports coming out of Italy are terrifying.  They are running out of supplies and equipment.  The doctors there are being faced with horrific ethical dilemmas.  1/20 people with Covid-19 need a ventilator, and the people are having to spend  2-4 weeks on the vent.  They are running out of ventilators but not patients.  People are being sent home to die.

Because a lot of our supplies come from China, we are faced with the real possibility of running out of supplies like gowns, masks, gloves, etc.  Right now we have a limited number of N-95 masks which prevent the passage of this virus. And we may have to face the possibility of shutting down our OR for elective cases.  We are also trying to figure out how to get more negative pressure rooms to handle the potential influx of Covid-19+ patients.  We are trying to figure out how to isolate these patients from everyone else and still be able to care for critically ill patients without Covid.  Our hospital has only one ICU so we are looking at using either our Emergency Department or our OR's recovery room as a non-Covid ICU.  Plant Ops is looking at knocking holes in the wall or replacing windows in the ICU rooms without negative pressure to install fans to make them negative pressure.  Our operating rooms have positive pressure ventilation so we are trying to figure out how to address that.  We are also having discussions on how we are going to handle a situation when/if we run out of ventilators.  It's an ethical nightmare for us.  And we are also having to deal with the situation of what to do if our doctors, nurses and support staff become ill.  There are two surgeons here.  I am one of them.  What happens if we both get sick?  Our CDC guest lecturer told us we may just have to work while we are sick and do our best not to infect people.  Doesn't that sound like fun?

While people are being inconvenienced with the potential of missing a match, please try to put your frustration into perspective.  We are dealing with a real threat that has disastrous implications.   

Edited by CSEMARTIN

41 minutes ago, CSEMARTIN said:

I am on the Covid-19 Preparedness Committee at our local hospital, and I've lost track of how many meetings we have had.  On Friday, we had a retired physician from the CDC come and speak with us.  She has decades of experience, and she was intimately involved with dealing with Ebola and SARS.  She mentioned something I had not thought of, and it helped explain the draconian methods being used in our country.  They are trying to eliminate the threat of Covid-19 so we aren't having to deal with it year after year like the flu.  They are trying to eradicate this disease from our country, and it is looking that is still possible.

The reports coming out of Italy are terrifying.  They are running out of supplies and equipment.  The doctors there are being faced with horrific ethical dilemmas.  1/20 people with Covid-19 need a ventilator, and the people are having to spend  2-4 weeks on the vent.  They are running out of ventilators but not patients.  People are being sent home to die.

Because a lot of our supplies come from China, we are faced with the real possibility of running out of supplies like gowns, masks, gloves, etc.  Right now we have a limited number of N-95 masks which prevent the passage of this virus. And we may have to face the possibility of shutting down our OR for elective cases.  We are also trying to figure out how to get more negative pressure rooms to handle the potential influx of Covid-19+ patients.  We are trying to figure out how to isolate these patients from everyone else and still be able to care for critically ill patients without Covid.  Our hospital has only one ICU so we are looking at using either our Emergency Department or our OR's recovery room as a non-Covid ICU.  Plant Ops is looking at knocking holes in the wall or replacing windows in the ICU rooms without negative pressure to install fans to make them negative pressure.  Our operating rooms have positive pressure ventilation so we are trying to figure out how to address that.  We are also having discussions on how we are going to handle a situation when/if we run out of ventilators.  It's an ethical nightmare for us.  And we are also having to deal with the situation of what to do if our doctors, nurses and support staff become ill.  There are two surgeons here.  I am one of them.  What happens if we both get sick?  Our CDC guest lecturer told us we may just have to work while we are sick and do our best not to infect people.  Doesn't that sound like fun?

While people are being inconvenienced with the potential of missing a match, please try to put your frustration into perspective.  We are dealing with a real threat that has disastrous implications.   

Very informative! Thank you for the insight. 

You are right that having to miss a match or two just isn't that big of a deal compared to what we may have to face in the near future. 

Climate and Covid-19;
WS 2020 will be held in 2021+
-------------------------------------
Q;  Is climate a factor?
A; From WHO press conference, COVID-19
05 March 2020  ( in page 5)

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/transcripts/who-audio-emergencies-coronavirus-press-conference-final-05mar2020.pdf?sfvrsn=3855ddcd_0

So,read these ;

1.Summer in Thailand
Featured snippet from the web
Summer. Typically lasting from March to June, Thai summers aren't for the faint of heart! Little rainfall, high humidity, and temperatures that can reach 40 °C characterize this season. Even at night, there isn't much respite from the heat.

2.The winter months in Thailand are November, December, January, February, and March. ... During December, January, and February there is almost no rain at all. As the air temperature in winter cools off to around 27 °C (79 °F) and occasionally even lower, it is a very pleasant temperature for a perfect vacation in Thailand

3.WS ;November 28 – December 5, 2020
Pattaya, Thailand

4.Message from IPSC President said that .. "WS will be postponed to another date at the same location."(https://www.facebook.com/IPSCWorld/)

----------------
I beleve that  WS2020 postponed to 2021 or more.

I will wait for that day.

357683.jpg

On 3/12/2020 at 10:25 AM, Schutzenmeister said:

If anything, at the moment, I'd be more concerned with the MG Nationals in Florida in a couple of weeks and the SS/L10/Rev Nationals in Alabama in late April.  Let me emphasize, I've not heard ANYTHING on those matches at this point in time, but they are the ones that would be currently on my radar.

there are so few signed up for the MG nats, they could whack that match and no one would notice.

Suer 

Posting references that do not support your argument really does you no credit.

I read through the WHO reference you have posted.  The only conclusion I could find they made concerning the seasonality of COVID is that they don't have enough information yet.  They DON'T KNOW what it's going to do.  Quoting them, in the context you have, makes little sense.

Further, the FB quote you reference from Vitaly does NOT state the WS has been postponed.  It says they are watching the situation and if it becomes necessary it will still be held in Pattaya but at a later date.  I see NO confirmation a decision has yet been made.

While it may come to pass, I believe you are confusing people by implying the decision has been made.

57 minutes ago, outerlimits said:

there are so few signed up for the MG nats, they could whack that match and no one would notice.

I wish I could say I'm surprised by the low signups ... Still, given Florida's public position on shutting down sporting events in the state I'm a little surprised the upcoming matches in Frostproof haven't been cancelled or postponed.

Here’s what we got from SMM3Gun-

view?id=275357.3183.1.fd1765160833abe838

SMM3G_New_Logo1_layer_SMALL_cropped_1.5_inch_w.jpg?1571082201

No, COVID-19 is not the match theme this year (though we wish we'd thought of it). However, with the news media infected with pandemic-fever and the store shelves devoid of TP, we wanted to send you an update:

We are 3-gunners - nothing as small as a virus is going to intimidate us. The match is going ahead as planned.
As of today, there are only 3 confirmed cases in Maricopa county (1 recovered, 2 active) out of a population of 4.4M.
We recommend you follow CDC guidelines by washing your hands often (with water and soap for at least 20 seconds), not touching your face, and avoiding sick people. We have ordered extra hand washing stations. If you can find hand sanitizer, feel free to use it.
Please avoid unnecessary interpersonal contact. Obviously, many of us are old friends that only meet a few times a year, but normal greetings (hugging, shaking hands etc.) do present a significantly heightened risk. Fist-bumping is safer than hand-shaking, but the latest recommendation is to maintain a distance of 6-feet and avoid physical contact altogether.
If you think you may have been exposed (e.g. recently visited a hot-spot, been in contact with an infected person etc.), or if you are suffering symptoms (fever, cough etc.), please contact us before traveling to the match.

If you have any specific concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Best regards

The SMM3G Team

©2020 SMM3gun | SMM3G 

Like  Tweet  
Web Version  Forward  Unsubscribe