COVID-19 and the 2020 IPSC HG WORLD SHOOT

Suer

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/28/2020 at 9:12 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Fortunately, this is mostly an outdoor sport - little

tougher to transmit viruses outdoors, I believe.

MotoGP is an outdoor sport too and they cancelled the first two rounds of the season already. 

It's more about travel restrictions than it is about the competitors infecting eachother.

Edited by waktasz

On 2/29/2020 at 9:04 AM, Suer said:

People with positive thinking are generally empowered to act and achieve their goals. On the contrary, negative thinking can paralyse us, bringing fears and doubts and preventing us from taking the actions that can get us closer to our goals.(Marie Holive)

16 hours ago, waktasz said:

MotoGP is an outdoor sport too and they cancelled the first two rounds of the season already. 

It's more about travel restrictions than it is about the competitors infecting eachother.

I bet the Moto GP rounds being canceled are 99% about the large densely packed crowds of spectators and maybe 1% about the competitors. unfortunately or fortunately IPSC doesn't have that issue 

1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

I bet the Moto GP rounds being canceled are 99% about the large densely packed crowds of spectators and maybe 1% about the competitors. unfortunately or fortunately IPSC doesn't have that issue 

You'd lose that bet. It is about the travel restrictions.

https://www.motogp.com/en/videos/2020/03/02/ezpeleta-on-the-reasons-behind-the-2020-delayed-start/326239

Update - maybe you'd only lose half that bet. The 2nd race has now been cancelled because Thailand is canceling events with large crowds.

“We have been in close contact with the authorities in Qatar to understand exactly what we could do. Then during the weekend, the situation changed a lot. On Saturday and Sunday it wasn’t a specific problem for anyone, but later on on Sunday we received indication from the authorities in Qatar that due to the situation in Italy and around the world, everyone of Italian nationality or residents of Italy arriving from there needs to be sure they haven’t been in Italy during the last 14 days. 'In those cases, it’s not that entrance to Qatar is forbidden, but anyone who has been in Italy in the last 14 days is advised that they will be quarantined for 14 days in Qatar. Obviously that’s not possible for our people, and this was what led us to cancel the MotoGP category at the Grand Prix of Qatar. Because Moto2 and Moto3 have been testing this week in Qatar, it’s possible to continue with the Championship but only with Moto2 and Moto3, as well as the Asia Talent Cup.

“We have been speaking to the authorities in Thailand all weekend and they advised us that early on Monday, Thailand time, there would be a meeting to decide which events can happen in Thailand. It’s not related to Italians or anyone of any other nationality going to Thailand, it’s that they have decided to cancel big events with large numbers of spectators. It’s different to the situation with Qatar, so we decided to postpone the Thailand Grand Prix and try to locate a date at the end of the year to make the GP possible.

“There will absolutely be a 2020 MotoGP season. We will try to continue with everything and stay aware of the situation because it’s changing day by day, but our wish is to do all the races in the 2020 season.”

Edited by bdpaz
Added info on 2nd race cancellation.

4 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

They are having the Moto 2 and Moto 3 events in Qatar because the "minor league" teams are already at the track for a week of testing. The GP class riders are not there yet so they aren't able to go. 
Crowds are definitely smaller for the feeder class races but it's not like the stands will be empty.

Qatar stands are always empty. It was all about the competitors and nothing to do with fans coming to the race. As very few show up from out of the country. 

Mass gatherings an issue for Thais? Bet their water festival still goes off. Probably better yet is that no one comes to watch shooting.... haha

I'll be at the Austin race btw! And I'm going to Italy in 9 days as well. Come give me a hug haha

On 2/28/2020 at 7:12 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Fortunately, this is mostly an outdoor sport - little

tougher to transmit viruses outdoors, I believe.

Personally I would not want to be in an enclosed metal tube for 12+ hours with people who might have been exposed.  

I have to travel for work, luckily only in the USA these days, but no chance I would go to Thailand the way things are.

That being said, there is a very low mortality rate, way lower than is being reported mainly because more people have contracted the COVID-19 virus than they know about.  Why do I say this?  Because some will have a very mild case and never be diagnosed with COVID-19.

Healthy young to middle aged people (age gourds of WS competitors) are very unlikely to have a serious reaction anyway.  

But this is likely to get worse before it gets better.

Although the OP is clearly an international topic, most of the responses (thus far) are from US shooters.  Hence, a slight thread drift:

With this virus starting to spread in the US, and with the upcoming USPSA shooting season, what do you think the impacts likely to be here in the USA?  (Recommend concentrating your responses to the Area and National Championships … Local matches will be too broad of a topic, I think.)

There are many myths and misinformation being circulated regarding COVID-19.  Please visit these sites for accurate and credible information:

For the latest updates on COVID-19, please visit:

·         Iowa Department of Public Healthhttps://idph.iowa.gov/

·         Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - https://www.cdc.gov/

Johns Hopkins University- https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6 - good site for current #s around the world

·         World Health Organization (WHO) - https://www.who.int/

On 3/8/2020 at 11:58 AM, Schutzenmeister said:

Although the OP is clearly an international topic, most of the responses (thus far) are from US shooters.  Hence, a slight thread drift:

With this virus starting to spread in the US, and with the upcoming USPSA shooting season, what do you think the impacts likely to be here in the USA?  (Recommend concentrating your responses to the Area and National Championships … Local matches will be too broad of a topic, I think.)

Last night I was asked if I was taking Corona virus into account for the Buckeye Blast and area 5 match. As in I was asked about cancelling either. Short answer is no as of now

Currently in Europe first significant LIII match (outdoor) is postponed for august 2020. In following hours we are waiting for further announcements.It is to believe that this shooting season will be nicely f** up. Average no of participants is around 300+ from all over the Europe... Extreme Euro Open for example have 1308 shooters from 58 countries..... 

We will see 😷🤧....hope for the best

With respect to Europe, I expect Italy has cancelled (or is in the process of cancelling) its matches over the next few weeks or months.  I do not know the situation in other regions around the world.

A response of "None", in my opinion, falls somewhere between optimistic and naïve.  Much here in the USA will depend on the spread of this virus over the next 30 to 60 days and, frankly, governmental restrictions which may or may not come to pass in regard to it.

My plan, for now, is to remain flexible.  This too shall pass ... eventually!

2 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

With respect to Europe, I expect Italy has cancelled (or is in the process of cancelling) its matches over the next few weeks or months.  I do not know the situation in other regions around the world.

A response of "None", in my opinion, falls somewhere between optimistic and naïve.  Much here in the USA will depend on the spread of this virus over the next 30 to 60 days and, frankly, governmental restrictions which may or may not come to pass in regard to it.

My plan, for now, is to remain flexible.  This too shall pass ... eventually!

I like to think I’m not naive.😊 From what I gather hot weather will stifle the virus. I have heard some of the “experts” say the best thing to hope for is early and warm spring and early summer.

Of course if it’s two weeks til match time and half the match entrants are sick then by all means it would probably be a different story.

Fingers crossed but I think we will be ok.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

From what I gather hot weather will stifle the virus.

Sarge

The last half of my AF career was in hospital administration.  My wife is a retired FP physician.  Many viruses do die off somewhat with sunshine and warmer weather ... Some not as much.  All the experts (CDC, NIH, WHO, etc.) seem to be saying it's too soon to know with this one.  I think we can all agree this bug is a nasty one ... Probably more for old farts like you and me than our grandkids!

As noted, there are a couple of big matches just around the corner.  I'm definitely not in panic mode, but I am paying attention to the situation.  Between the two of us I think we have a plan ... Cross our fingers and stay flexible!

Good luck ...

Edited by Schutzenmeister

On 3/4/2020 at 4:14 PM, rowdyb said:

I'll be at the Austin race btw! And I'm going to Italy in 9 days as well. Come give me a hug haha

COTA race in Austin has been rescheduled for November.  😷  Hopefully, you will not be contagious by then.  I have been every year it has been in Austin.  Not sure I can make a November race.  ☹️

Alex … If you don't already have some type of trip cancellation insurance for the WS, I would suggest it might be a very good idea to acquire it ASAP.  In no way am I predicting it might be cancelled, but there is that possibility.  Having insurance in place should salvage a good portion of your costs should it becomes necessary.

Personally, when I travel far and wide to L IV and L V matches, I always purchase trip insurance … and that's WITHOUT the current virus situation.  Good luck in Thailand!