Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Major: CZ TSO vs STI Edge

Jonesjohnm

I’m wanting another toy to play with. I’d like to pick up a new limited major pistol. I’m so torn between these two it’s not even funny. As most of us are, I am really fond of the 2011 platform. About 6 months ago I moved to CO and shoot a cajunized CZ S2 with SRO. I have really come to love the CZ platform. I am deadlocked here...

For those with trigger time on both rigs, please share your experience/ insight/ comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m wanting another toy to play with. I’d like to pick up a new limited major pistol. I’m so torn between these two it’s not even funny. As most of us are, I am really fond of the 2011 platform. About 6 months ago I moved to CO and shoot a cajunized CZ S2 with SRO. I have really come to love the CZ platform. I am deadlocked here...

For those with trigger time on both rigs, please share your experience/ insight/ comparison.

Wait for the DWX. 2011s are awesome, I shoot them, but if you like the shadow 2 it will be same frame on DWX with 1911 internals and slide

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I haven't owned/shot an Edge, but I shot a custom build 2011 and now have 3 seasons I think behind a TSO. So I can tell you some you will experience.

1911/2011 platforms can give you a beautiful trigger, but the TSO leaves nothing on the table here. Both of mine came with sub-2lb triggers from the factory and have needed zero work in 3 years. So you could call that a win for the TSO for needing zero work because the Edge will probably need a little massaging to get the trigger down to where  you want it. But they'll both give you a beautiful trigger.

The CZs do require some work smoothing out the inner edge of the grip body. They come out of the factory with a little ledge where the magwell meets the grip frame. Nothing a dremel and some bluing won't take care of in short order, but it is one strike against the TSO if you're keeping score.

My TSO magazines are a lot cheaper than 2011 mags and required no tuning to run flawlessly for 3 seasons. That was not the case for my 2011 mags. So one to the TSOs there. Also on the magazines, the TSO fit 20 rounds in them with Springer extensions and Grams springs/followers. Half of my 2011 could barely get 19 and the other half the 20th was so tight that I never trusted loading them to 20. Truth be told, I rarely load my  mags up to 20, but they'll do it in that odd case where it may be needed.

The TSO comes with a thumbrest, but it's too small IMHO and needs to be replaced. Call that a draw, but at least it's already tapped for you with plenty of alternatives that use the same bolt pattern. So maybe slight edge to the TSO for being pre-drilled.

The TSO comes from the 9mm lineage and so can't load long like the 2011. I don't find it to be a problem, although I also don't load 200gr 40 anymore. I had transitioned back to 180s as a shooter anyway so not a problem for me. But if you wanted to try really soft shooting 200gr 40s loaded a bit longer the 2011 will work better. Although I'm sure there are plenty of 200gr loads floating around for the TSOs.

Last, but not least, the safety lever is always a problem with every CZ I've owned. They're always too shallow and a little oddly placed until you get used to them. I end up putting the big CZ Custom safety into all of my CZs (well, not my Production Shadow) and it solves the problem. But it's an upgrade that pretty much any 1911/2011 on the planet rarely needs.

All things considered, if you can find a TSO on the shelf to handle I'd recommend 2 things. First make sure you really want to compete with a 2lb trigger. And also check out the safety. But with those warnings in place, I think it's actually a much superior gun than an average build quality 2011. Performance wise mine has been the equal of my old custom build 2011 at half the price. Once I got the safety and thumbrest dialed in to my liking and a little smoothing on the magwell seam it has run flawlessly.

Good luck with the hunt.

59 minutes ago, ttolliver said:

My TSO magazines are a lot cheaper than 2011 mags and required no tuning to run flawlessly for 3 seasons. That was not the case for my 2011 mags. So one to the TSOs there. Also on the magazines, the TSO fit 20 rounds in them with Springer extensions and Grams springs/followers. Half of my 2011 could barely get 19 and the other half the 20th was so tight that I never trusted loading them to 20. Truth be told, I rarely load my  mags up to 20, but they'll do it in that odd case where it may be needed.

Did you remove the little black insert that comes in the OEM magazines when using the Springer extensions? I can get 21 in all of my mags with Springer extensions, not reloadable, but does allow me to start 21+1 if needed. 

I love 2011s... I’ve owned several diff in limited and open. Stock and custom tuned STIs as well as a custom build. I have yet to go thru a season without gun issues at some point. If Tac sports are as reliable as my shadow and shadow 2 were- I wish I had gone tac sport for limited rather than 2011. This upcoming season I’m shooting a lot of carry optics because I’m so sick of malfunctions in matches. There are plenty of people who have very reliable 2011s... I just bring out the issues apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have shot both 2011s (Edge) and CZ TSOs in Limited Major.  You can't go wrong with either.  My experience/opinions are noted below.

TSO

Comes with 3 magazines, add base pad/spring & follower to at least 1 mag (to get you to 20 +1) and you're GTG, no other updates needed

No mag tuning required

$1600-1750 price point, including 3 magazines

Very reliable out of the box, especially if you reload and can adjust your OAL, as CZs typically require shorter OAL than 2011s

Once tuned, my 2011s have have as reliable as my TSOs

With STI dropping the Edge model, not many choices for sub $2000 2011 (new)

Lots of customization available -triggers, grips (steel, plastic, aluminum), uppers, mag wells, etc.

I went to a local store and handled both again side by side. That TSO is just so at home in my hand. It melts into my grip perfectly.

I went ahead and ordered a new TSO 40 sw from Big Daddy Unlimited for $1580. Then I came across a member here on the forum selling a complete 9mm TSO upper for $400. Brand new TSO with a complete 9mm conversion for the price of the edge I was looking at. Very very pleased!!!!

I need some 9mm mags though, anybody have 1 or 2 to spare?

This was discussed a couple years back in the CZ section and some good info can be found there. With that being said, I previously ran CZs exclusively but recently switched to the 2011 platform.  I have only had 4 matches using my 2011s and my initial thought is “I haven't gained or lost anything” by switching platforms.  I feel it is still too earlier for me to have a good opinion comparing the two but I will be back to share my thoughts when I have more time behind these guns.  

On 2/28/2020 at 3:27 PM, regor said:

Did you remove the little black insert that comes in the OEM magazines when using the Springer extensions? I can get 21 in all of my mags with Springer extensions, not reloadable, but does allow me to start 21+1 if needed. 

@regor Yup. About half of my mags have an easy half a bullet flex with 20 in making me think I might press 21 in if I wanted. The other half not so much, hehehe.

I had a czechmate in open for a while. It was.. nice, in ways. However, they tend to break slidestops. Some shooters call this normal and consumable. I feel that this part if made well should last longer.

The cz has no VIS for barrel and this is a factor in breaking those slidestops.

I agree, the fit feels nice when held. A different angle and ergonomic. However.. my sp01 needs some weld and file treatment on beavertail. Is a pain. Literally. Does not take many rounds before I feel it.

My 1911 style handguns, this is not an issue.

That dwx uses drop in rails, according to a recent article. I wonder about it's quality. They are using a mashup of ideas.

Nothing is perfect.

I left the czechmate due to the trigger being rather vague. Must have been that plastic pushrod with a pivoting trigger pad. Was light.. sure.. but, it was unpredictable to me. Also, the breaking of slidestop pins was another issue.

Your miles likely vary.