Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
slappy

Factory CO gun for small hands

Hi Everyone,

Looking opinions on a factory carry optics gun with a 3-5# trigger that will work well for small hands (women's small gloves, for example).

Trying to get my wife out shooting more and my Glocks (Gen3 and 4) and 2011's are too large for her hands. For reference, she's super-comfortable with a Walther P22.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

On 2/28/2020 at 1:37 PM, AzDanMan said:

Canik TP9SFx

I joined this forum specifically to make a comment on this response.  Please don't take this negatively because I like the Canik, however, after shooting a friends I went out and purchased the TP9sfx with vortex optic package for my wife and it has been a negative experience.  Her hand is too small to reach the striker safety on the trigger and multiple times when shooting at speed she will pause and be pulling the heck out of the trigger but cannot get it to fire because the striker safety is not engaged.  Also the geometry of the gun causes her to hit the mag release button and drop mags at random times. Also this gun does not handle being limp wristed at all! she has one to two failure to ejects per stage.  I can get the gun to fail to eject or feed on command by loosening my grip.  She can run my p320, glocks, and 1911 without any trouble.  She ran 5 stages with my p320 at my range at home the day after her first match with the Canik and didnt have a single failure.  Its just that she has small hands and this gun doesn't work for her.  I have installed a glock guide rod with 13lb recoil spring, 6.5lb striker spring, reduced power plunger spring, and freedomsmith trigger.  All of these mods have made it more shootable for her and more tolerant to being limp wristed but it will still fail to cycle if you don't have a good grip on it.  It should be noted also that on the first trip to the range with it I shot 100 rounds out of it and not a single one ejected. According to forum research the gun was designed to be ran on 124gr nato spec ammo only.  Yes you read that right, a "competition ready" pistol that will only run nato spec.  This has been fixed with all the spring swaps and with a good grip it will now cycle 147gr 130pf loads reliable.  I hope this will save you some headache.  I truly think the Canik is a good pistol for the money but I do not think that it is a good pistol for women. Especially women with small hands. 

I have relatively small hands, and the HK VP9 is the most comfortable grip I've tried, especially with the interchangeable sets of side grips and backstraps. They just came out with an optics ready version for 2020.

On 3/2/2020 at 2:50 PM, awaldro7 said:

I joined this forum specifically to make a comment on this response.  Please don't take this negatively because I like the Canik, however, after shooting a friends I went out and purchased the TP9sfx with vortex optic package for my wife and it has been a negative experience.  Her hand is too small to reach the striker safety on the trigger and multiple times when shooting at speed she will pause and be pulling the heck out of the trigger but cannot get it to fire because the striker safety is not engaged.  Also the geometry of the gun causes her to hit the mag release button and drop mags at random times. Also this gun does not handle being limp wristed at all! she has one to two failure to ejects per stage.  I can get the gun to fail to eject or feed on command by loosening my grip.  She can run my p320, glocks, and 1911 without any trouble.  She ran 5 stages with my p320 at my range at home the day after her first match with the Canik and didnt have a single failure.  Its just that she has small hands and this gun doesn't work for her.  I have installed a glock guide rod with 13lb recoil spring, 6.5lb striker spring, reduced power plunger spring, and freedomsmith trigger.  All of these mods have made it more shootable for her and more tolerant to being limp wristed but it will still fail to cycle if you don't have a good grip on it. 

How is any of this Canik's fault?

Did your wife even handle the pistol at the store? 

Thanks for all the replies! I like the idea of the CZ and Sig as I've had good experiences with those companies.

FWIW, I'm throwing my 11 year old son into an M&P 9mm and that seems to fit him well, especially with the Apex FSS trigger to reduce reach.

On 3/20/2020 at 12:47 PM, theautobahn said:

FWIW, I'm throwing my 11 year old son into an M&P 9mm and that seems to fit him well, especially with the Apex FSS trigger to reduce reach.

Agreed - the adjustable backstraps help a lot. Though I would note that the Apex flat trigger extends the finger reach needed - I use the small backstrap with the flat trigger and a medium backstrap with the factory one (and probably the apex curved ones).

21 hours ago, recoilchamp said:

Agreed - the adjustable backstraps help a lot. Though I would note that the Apex flat trigger extends the finger reach needed - I use the small backstrap with the flat trigger and a medium backstrap with the factory one (and probably the apex curved ones).

Are you talking about the FSS setup? It has an initial reduced reach as compared to the factory triggers. So I'm a tad confused... Or are you referencing just installing the trigger bow / shoe itself and not the FSS setup? His has the curved FSS, for what it's worth.

The flat-faced trigger with the FSS has the longer reach:

APEX100054-a.jpg.5f59dc50d14f7e9b2eda7abab48aad32.jpg

Curved FSS should be the same reach as the factory trigger.

On 3/20/2020 at 12:47 PM, theautobahn said:

I've even seen some suggest running the m&p with no backstrap at all for small hands.