Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching from .40 to 9...

Mban2

I have an Atlas Titan in .40 that I was really excited to shoot limited division with, but life has happened and I don’t have the time to compete.   Because I’m not competing, I would rather my Titan be in 9mm.   Is it possible to find a random 9mm tip end and try to swap it out?   I don’t know how picky 2011s are

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Just load 40sw down to minor.  It works well, and is softer shooting than 9mm.  The only disadvantage is bullets cost one cent more.

My only reservation is that the Titan is the only non 9mm pistol I own.  And not  reloading makes it seem a little excessive.    Also, does anyone know if there is a way to slide mount an optic on a Titan? Or does the weight reduction scoop behind the breach face prevent that

1 hour ago, Mban2 said:

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to slide mount an optic on a Titan? Or does the weight reduction scoop behind the breach face prevent that

If you shot this in Limited, how do you have a weight reduction scoop?

If you have a scoop, it depends on the dot you want to use.  If your dot has mounting screws spaced .550" apart, yes you can drill and tap the slide and mount directly to it.  If the locating pin spacing of you dot does not exceed the width of the slide, you can drill for them as well.  I've mounted Burris FF3s and C-More RTS2s directly on the scallop, with locator pins, and both worked well.  Each holds zero, even on my 45 1911.

Since you don't reload you are probably better off selling the gun and use one of your other 9mm.  An alternative is to have Atlas make you a 9mm top end for it.  He can mill the slide to mount any sight you want.

Kimber (an others?) would build their 9mm guns in a .40 slide.

I have a customized Springfield 9mm which had its breechface opened up slightly to shoot .40 also.

You might get away with simply having a second barrel and extractor fit. That'd run you 350-400, I imagine.

10 hours ago, zzt said:

If you shot this in Limited, how do you have a weight reduction scoop?

If you have a scoop, it depends on the dot you want to use.  If your dot has mounting screws spaced .550" apart, yes you can drill and tap the slide and mount directly to it.  If the locating pin spacing of you dot does not exceed the width of the slide, you can drill for them as well.  I've mounted Burris FF3s and C-More RTS2s directly on the scallop, with locator pins, and both worked well.  Each holds zero, even on my 45 1911.

Since you don't reload you are probably better off selling the gun and use one of your other 9mm.  An alternative is to have Atlas make you a 9mm top end for it.  He can mill the slide to mount any sight you want.

I think he is talking about the funny little u-shaped cut that Atlas does right behind the breech.

1 hour ago, Midwest3Gunner said:

I think he is talking about the funny little u-shaped cut that Atlas does right behind the breech.

Yes, I am wondering if there are any RDS mounts that will slide into the existing rear sight dovetail, and if they would be effected by the scoop that is right in front of the rear sight, and right behind the breech

You might want to look into the Athena, it is Atlas's duty/dot version of the Hyperion (supposedly optimized for 9). Sell your Titan on here to offset most of the cost,  and the difference you have to make up would be about what it would cost to have a new top end fitted to your Titan.

On 2/28/2020 at 9:11 PM, Mban2 said:

Yes, I am wondering if there are any RDS mounts that will slide into the existing rear sight dovetail, and if they would be effected by the scoop that is right in front of the rear sight, and right behind the breech

I haven’t seen an RDS mount that will slide into the bomar dovetail. They have that for Glocks and it’s the worst way to mount a red dot in my opinion. 

Your best bet is to sell the gun and buy something in 9mm.

• 2 weeks later...