Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 for Open or Carry Optic for Steel Challenge?

Demus319

I remember back in the day, George Smith of EGW had a aluminium framed steel challenge 9mm that was so light, that it felt like a toy. It had cuts in the slide that you could see the ejector and extractor through the sides, as well as see all the way through the slide and see the firing pin. That was back when we all had big tube sights as well. I can't imagine that set up today with the small dots today. I built a Kimber 22 for my son and daughter to shoot and it also so light weight with the frame and slide both being aluminium.

The slots cut in your slide looks like Matt Mclearns work. Matt learned from George and Behlerts.  There is a lot of weight removed. The cuts George did were two long slots, same width and cut all of the way through like yours. George had similar slots cut through on each side of the back of the slides.  Springfield Custom also offered the side cuts at one time for weight loss. I would like to see smith's offer these cuts , but not many folks do it anymore. Very low reciprocating weight mean less sight movement, simple physics.  Thanks for sharing the pics, Matt does great work.  

I remember back when extraction was a issue when C-Mores were being mounted so low. I talked to Matt and he told me the number to cut my ejection port lower on my slide, I cut my slide and the ejection issue was gone. Many, many years ago. 

Edited by troupe

Just now, jdlincoln said:

One that works well for Steel Challenge and IDPA CO. Only legal for OPEN in USPSA.

Next post is the Wife's. Can only upload 1.95 meg to a post.

20191225_105849.jpg