Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use Federal Syntech 150?

Mikemiller69gs

I've shot just over 4,000rds of it, good stuff, really soft shooting and one of the best options out there for those of us that don't reload. FWIW, try to catch it on sale and buy as much as you can afford when it's in-stock, because it sells out quick (sometimes days, but usually within hours).

I like it. Good stuff, but like all ammo not perfect. I had some primer issues. They had me send all 450 rounds back to them for testing and replaced it all for me. 
They stand by their product, I give them that. 
Another thread on here showed a cracked case out of the box. I still use it though. 

8 hours ago, robbiespratt said:

It doesn't seem to group quite as tight as standard off the shelf ammo

I agree with the 150g assessment.

The CZ barrel, at least mine, like the 124/125g the best at 130-133 power factor.  

16 hours ago, robbiespratt said:

To pile on,

I have been running it since it came out. It doesn't seem to group quite as tight as standard off the shelf ammo but still great for competition use and the recoil difference is very noticeable. Very clean burning as well.

7 hours ago, WxGuy said:

I agree with the 150g assessment.

The CZ barrel, at least mine, like the 124/125g the best at 130-133 power factor.  

I also agree. IMO 150gr isn't ideal in the CZ barrels, 124gr groups much better for me too.

That said, the Syntech 150 stuff isn't horrible by any means, and for those of us that don't roll our own, how soft it shoots is worth the tradeoff IMO.

I only have experience with the 150gr “action pistol” and 130gr PCC-specific stuff... but by the numbers listed on Federal’s site, the 124gr stuff works out to 130pf so that stuff looks worth a try if you can find it...

On 2/27/2020 at 9:58 PM, robbiespratt said:

To pile on,

I have been running it since it came out. It doesn't seem to group quite as tight as standard off the shelf ammo but still great for competition use and the recoil difference is very noticeable. Very clean burning as well.

I thought it was just me.  I have noticed the same thing about the grouping coming out of my 9mm TSO.

Soft shooting in the Shadow 2 and Walther Steel Frame.  Haven't actually tested group size, but I can keep them in the head A-zone at 15 yards.  In a practical sense, when shooting fast, I think I can shoot them more accurately than my old favorite 125 gr reloads.  I think I like my new 147 gr reloads a little better, but either works great and it's nice to have a factory ammo I can go to with confidence.

One thing I should add is that I did have an issue with some of the 150 gr Syntechs.  I got a serious jam during a match because of excess lead sticking out on one of the bullets.  It cost me my best score ever in Steel Challenge.  I did some investigating and found about 6 more from that same batch that didn't pass the case gauge.  I worked with Federal on this and I believe they took care of the issue.  The issue appeared to only be with that one batch.  But, as a precaution, I now case gauge all my factory ammo the same as my reloads.  It's probably not necessary with jacketed bullets, but a good idea on lead and coated bullets.

While I reload most of my ammo, I do keep some factory ammo on hand for when I don't have time to reload.  This 150gr syntech works well in all of my guns.  I reload with the 147gr. bullet anyway, and it meets power factor without excess power.  CZ's, H&K VP9L, M&P...they all like it.

If I stopped reloading I would shoot this exclusively for matches.  

• 1 year later...