Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stigma and Red Dots

Lastcat

You have a Red Dot on your Open Gun and it looks fuzzy, starburst, shooting stars and flares?

Could just be your eyes. I searched this yesterday, worried about my Deltapoint Pro. I don't recall the dot looking like 2 smaller dots. Almost called Leupold for answers. Then I took a pic of the dot, it's round and in great shape. It's my eyes, argh!! 🤬

HYRXCp8.jpg

Неаrd оf аѕtіgmаtіѕm? As we age, our eyes tend to see things different. On my Deltapoint, I can see 2 small dots touching, one on top of the other. Not a game changer, still can get a good sight picture. If you are wondering about your Red Dot, take a picture of it. Or, rotate the scope 90 degrees, then 90 degrees and full 360. Does the shape of the dot change? If not, it's your eyes. If the shape of the dot does change as you rotate your scope, it's the scope. 

Hope this helps. 

I can empathize with you. I have mild astigmatism on my right eye (dominant) and it sucks. It’s worse on cheaper/low quality red dots and not as pronounced on higher quality ones. My eye doctor prescribed me a pair of mono vision shooting glasses and it helps unless I undergo surgery to get it fixed for good.

21 minutes ago, George16 said:

I can empathize with you. I have mild astigmatism on my right eye (dominant) and it sucks. It’s worse on cheaper/low quality red dots and not as pronounced on higher quality ones. My eye doctor prescribed me a pair of mono vision shooting glasses and it helps unless I undergo surgery to get it fixed for good.

19 minutes ago, ParaGunner said:

Yep, anything below a 3moa dot looks starburst to me. I thought there was something wrong with the dot to until someone said take a picture of it. LOL

In my 60's and wear prescriptions, just found out today about astigmatism ☹️. Oh well, at least I can use the lower dot for close range and the upper dot for long range...lol. Life goes on.

I have astigmatism and I have two pairs of prescription shooting glasses. For red dots, my prescription glasses made for long distance give me a crisp round dot. My other pair for shorter distance...measured for my the front sight distance of my pistol will show a starburst dot on red dot sights.

Next time you visit your eye doctor, try to bring your rds and see if it makes a difference for you.

37 minutes ago, hiker88 said:

I have astigmatism and I have two pairs of prescription shooting glasses. For red dots, my prescription glasses made for long distance give me a crisp round dot. My other pair for shorter distance...measured for my the front sight distance of my pistol will show a starburst dot on red dot sights.

Next time you visit your eye doctor, try to bring your rds and see if it makes a difference for you.

Yep, I have heard other shooters doing this. Will look into it, thanks. 

2 hours ago, Posvar said:

I have this issue at 42. Went to larger MOA and it’s much better. 

This is so true. 

All my red dots are at least 6 MOA which helps in minimizing the starburst effects. Besides, 3 MOA is hard to see for a farsighted person like me.