Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gold Team Stroke -recoil spring warning

Dan4147

So, guys who are proficient at building will know I made a thoughtless mistake.  Patriot Defense did a great job of slide work stroking .325.  Before shooting, when relieving coil bind I clipped a few coils off the recoil spring.  Guys, when you do this turn the clipped end of the spring inward on the guide rod, with the closed end into the plug.  I didn't, and the gun locked up on the 3rd shot.  I was stunned until I got the GT apart and found the open end of the spring had wedged between the plug and the relieved (small diameter area) of the guide rod.  Turned the spring around and all is well.

For the record, I added 1 brass buffer.  That actually reduced the stoke by about .120.  Adding a buffer also adds the thickness of the guide rod shoulder to the stroke reduction.  I have not tried using the full stroke of .325 yet. 

Results after a few hundred rounds of different major loads; dot tracking is a little better in that previously the dot movement with some loads was "wandering around", not just up and down.  That is noticeably better but not gone completely.  And, shell ejection is way more consistent and no brass has hit the bottom/back of the sight.  I can't say for sure that the shot impulse cycling in the gun overall is much different if any.  Round feeding has been 100% and I think will stay that way.  I was told by someone who should know that stroking improves bullet movement up in the mag all the way to the chamber.

Disclaimer; I can't say that better results are from stroking or just the spring changes.  But, I wouldn't have made the changes but for the stroke.

Thank you for the tip! Could you please post a picture of the slide where it was stroked?

I stroked Stock II 10mm to resolve feeding issues - not enough space-time for mag to feed next round.

Out of the box the factory recoil spring was coil-binding. Not sure what they think about at the factory.

4 hours ago, arkadi said:

Thank you for the tip! Could you please post a picture of the slide where it was stroked?

I stroked Stock II 10mm to resolve feeding issues - not enough space-time for mag to feed next round.

Out of the box the factory recoil spring was coil-binding. Not sure what they think about at the factory.

I can take a pic later, but I can tell you now the slide looks the same as stock.  Shorten (remove)  guide rod hood slide material where it meets the frame on recoil.  That’s it.  Amount removed equal to increased stroke.

2 hours ago, arkadi said:

Just curious to see the quality and finish of the work.

It looks original, even the small radius where the vertical meets the horizontal is there.  Patriot Defense did it on a mill.  I will make a pic later anyway. 

11 minutes ago, Apolo said:

Glad to hear issue wasn't bad in the end. Stroke it!

I was crushed until I saw my simple mistake.  Adrian is there a replacement guide rod that is just straight like a 1911...... no relieved section?

1 hour ago, Apolo said:

My GTs are stroked additional .356

New Gun "Kryptonite" is 2.465 full length.

Woe!  That’s beyond what I have seen for a comp 1911/2011.  Does it actually use use it all?

I only did .325 and buffer down to about .210. It feels and functions great.  The brass buffer is showing obvious slide contact after about 200 rounds so I may take it out and see if the full .325 is better in some way.  Guess I’ll have to respring too.

Good shooting to you.

Oh I'm talking about actual full length slide travel. 2.465in. This is the meas asurment after I've removed material.

The Gold teams I just know cause I did two in a row. I removed .356. I don't remember total stroke length after removal. It's close to 2.40in I'm sure.

Just trying to clarify 

On 3/3/2020 at 11:12 PM, Apolo said:

Slide definitely travels full length...teehee.

Along the way I think it was you that said using the PD hybrid springs there was no coil bind, without cipping coils.  I got some and it worked.  Full travel .325 more for me.  I likey!  Thanks.