Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield ILS hammer springs

tylerradke

I have a loaded operator in .45 that has the ILS mainspring housing. Looking at reducing the spring weight and was wondering why the ILS springs are so much heavier than standard. Even the Wolff lighter weight springs are still mid 20 pound range. What weight spring should I go with, or should I spend the extra money and swap out the MSH?

1 hour ago, RePete said:

Swap out the MSH to get rid of the ILS  and run a 19# spring.

This! 

I have a range officer that has the same ILS I got a Smith and Alexander magwell that is made to the MSH and run a #19 spring also you'll need to get the cap and the pins as the Springfield ILS are Proprietary to the ILS. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2020 at 10:37 AM, tylerradke said:

I have a loaded operator in .45 that has the ILS mainspring housing. Looking at reducing the spring weight and was wondering why the ILS springs are so much heavier than standard. Even the Wolff lighter weight springs are still mid 20 pound range. What weight spring should I go with, or should I spend the extra money and swap out the MSH?

They meet the drop test in CA.

I would toss it and start fresh.

I ended up replacing the guts of my MSH with standard parts. Didn't want to replace it as it already has a magwell and is armory cote black. Works great

Found a new #18 Wilson combat hammer spring in the drawer and threw that in it. Fitted a Caspian trik trigger while I had it apart. Feels way different and doesn't take hulk Hogan to rack the slide with the hammer down now. Haven't gotten to actually shoot it yet but will soon.

• 1 month later...