Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 5 34 Issue

tdp88

I recently picked up my Gen 5 34 that will replace my Gen 4 as my CO match gun. I installed the TTI trigger kit and Jager guiderod with 13lb ISMI spring. I'm very familiar with Glocks and intalling these parts, so it is not likely a user error. The trigger is great, recoil spring passes the test while pressing the trigger, gun feels great overall. However, the trigger safety will not fully reset if my finger is on it during reset. Any thoughts on what could cause this? Please no comments about taking it back to stock, I think we can all agree that the stock trigger sucks. 

The increased power trigger return spring works against the 4.5lb striker spring.  The lighter plunger spring can also attribute to this.  As suggested by Rooster return to stock return spring.  Unfortunately people really dont think about how a glock is basically one giant set of counter acting springs that work the trigger mechanics. 

15 minutes ago, rooster said:

If you installed the 6 pound trigger spring that is likely your trouble. Go back to the oem and see if your problem goes away.

I forgot to mention that I use the factory trigger return spring. 

5 minutes ago, dskinsler83 said:

The increased power trigger return spring works against the 4.5lb striker spring.  The lighter plunger spring can also attribute to this.  As suggested by Rooster return to stock return spring.  Unfortunately people really dont think about how a glock is basically one giant set of counter acting springs that work the trigger mechanics. 

I tried it with and without the plunger spring and it's the same outcome both ways. 

Edited by tdp88

You can try maritime cups, and you could just slightly relieve the end point of your safety tab but that is a last resort type thing there. Also if the connector is at an extreme angle out from the housing can cause some bind/drag on the trigger bar. Remember to use a good lubricious grease not just plain oil as it eventually seeps away as grease stays.  

All my triggers do this.  When I release to reset then take my finger off the trigger the trigger safety is stuck on the frame.

Take a file or razor to the back of the trigger safety.  You only need to take off a little and it won't hang up.  This will leave your trigger safety full functional, just a little shorter on the back.  While you're at it take off a bit of the front of the trigger safety until it's flush with the front of the trigger and remove the bump, I think it makes the trigger feel much easier to control at speed, and it may stop those occasional shots that wonder to the left.

48 minutes ago, bere09 said:

You need to install the Taran Trigger return spring to fix this issue. I had it with all of my Glocks as well and that always fixed it. 

I'll try it out this evening. Thanks

20 minutes ago, epault said:

All my triggers do this.  When I release to reset then take my finger off the trigger the trigger safety is stuck on the frame.

Take a file or razor to the back of the trigger safety.  You only need to take off a little and it won't hang up.  This will leave your trigger safety full functional, just a little shorter on the back.  While you're at it take off a bit of the front of the trigger safety until it's flush with the front of the trigger and remove the bump, I think it makes the trigger feel much easier to control at speed, and it may stop those occasional shots that wonder to the left.

I've thought about that but I'm always nervous to mess with that stuff too much. 

I've found that the TTI gen5 trigger spring doesn't reduce trigger weight as much as the ubiquitous 6# springs for gen1-4 Glocks, so I doubt it's the sole reason.  The issue is more likely that the striker spring isn't heavy enough to overcome friction somewhere in the trigger parts or striker.  

Check to make sure the connector isn't bent too far outward, away from the trigger housing.  Otherwise, it will pinch the trigger bar against the frame and create excessive resistance during the trigger stroke.  I like to bend mine so the inner edge of the steel is even with the raised plastic triangle at the back of the trigger housing.  Just stick the connector in the housing backwards to adjust the angle.  If you bend it too far inward, you risk a dull thud instead of a snap during reset, or worse, no reset at all.

Another area is the striker channel liner.  The inside surface is pretty rough and the spring cups and spring drag against it during the pull.  I used to polish/hone OEM ones but I switched to the white ones from Lonewolf.  They're completely smooth inside and alleviate a lot of the roughness.  

These tweaks along with the usual polishing have allowed me to reliably use 4# Wolff striker springs.

Edited by earlan357

50 minutes ago, tdp88 said:

Thank you all for the suggestions. The Taran trigger return spring fixed the issue completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep checking that periodically. If I remember correctly, over time the problem comes back as the spring wears.