Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated bullets

Slattin

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have loaded Bajou, Acme, Blue, but lately am buying Precision Bullets.  That said, they all worked well for me and would buy all again. Sometimes it’s just worth settling on a load that works and focus on improving. 

When I want FMJ I buy Precision Delta, am not crazy about plated. 

20 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

I figure my reloads out like this:

.05  bullets  (coated @ $50/K)

.01  powder ($30/lb @ 3.ogr)

.03  primer

In some places that comes out to $90/K. That seems cheaper than $179. Just sayin'.

Also, that load is tailored for my gun @ my PF and shoots as I wish it to shoot.

Oh, the "time factor"?  

About 10 min. per 100.

It is a hobby. But a money saving hobby!

exactly my math!

For me reloading is theraputic. I load to tailor the rounds to my guns. Started out learning from my dad who reloads, very rarely, but having a house full of guns and 2 sons, allowed him to keep up with demand. I am always chasing that perfect recipe and I find joy in the quest. My basement is my mad scientist workshop and no where near as neat as the picture above. My son who is 4 is always wanting to come down to the man cave to workout and play with daddy's stuff or help out reloading. When he is responsible enough I will let him take up a station to help. 

3 hours ago, Joedirt199 said:

For me reloading is theraputic. I load to tailor the rounds to my guns. Started out learning from my dad who reloads, very rarely, but having a house full of guns and 2 sons, allowed him to keep up with demand. I am always chasing that perfect recipe and I find joy in the quest. My basement is my mad scientist workshop and no where near as neat as the picture above. My son who is 4 is always wanting to come down to the man cave to workout and play with daddy's stuff or help out reloading. When he is responsible enough I will let him take up a station to help. 

That's certainly the case for me and I probably take some added steps that others do not. A generic statement that you're just as well off, in terms of gaming accuracy, to shoot cheap store-bought ammo only creates questions in my mind about how one handloads. Maybe how well they shoot. Everything concerning the handload can be tailored to the specific pistol and your stuck with what your $10 budget ammo got you while knowing that the ammo-maker used cheaper components comparable to the price of the ammo.

And the tailoring of the handloads does not raise the price of the handload. So long as quality components are used, you're definitely a step ahead with handloads, and the reason the majority of shooters who handload do it that way. I don't buy cheap primers, I don't use filthy powder and I don't handload like a fast-food operation. Shoot rested groups with whatever you plan to use. And, accurate loads inspire confidence.😉