Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated bullets

Slattin

At present loading Bayous in 9mm.  Their 124 roundnose is a bit old fashioned with a distinct shoulder.  Loads like a SWC. 

Loading BBI for .45.  Their 230 roundnose is the standard style used by most casters and coaters.

I like the Gallant 200 gr roundnose to get that weight for good feeding in guns not "throated" for semiwadcutters, and will probably go to it when the 230s are gone.

Xtreme plated when I want a shiny bullet, but probably going all coated when restocking.

I have some 115 gr "conical" hollowpoints ordered from Magnus, probably made for Terry by Zero.  I will shoot them in GSSF because Glocks are sighted for 115s. 

Edited by Jim Watson

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

With 9 millimeter ammunition being so cheap right now, why reload?

1000 coated bullets 75

Powder 30

Primers 30

Brass. 30

I just went to Academy Sports I bought a thousand Browning 124 fmj  9 mm loaded round rounds for $179 just asking

I figure my reloads out like this:

.05  bullets  (coated @ $50/K)

.01  powder ($30/lb @ 3.ogr)

.03  primer

In some places that comes out to $90/K. That seems cheaper than $179. Just sayin'.

Also, that load is tailored for my gun @ my PF and shoots as I wish it to shoot.

Oh, the "time factor"?  

About 10 min. per 100.

It is a hobby. But a money saving hobby!

15 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Iv heard them mentioned a couple of times on this forum, but not as much as most others. What makes them different/similar to the other makers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex from Ibej sponsors a lot of matches I shoot and has a bullet weight&size that nobody else carries.  I've also had him make custom colors, my wife loves her pink bullets!  The only downside I've heard from fellow shooters is don't order and expect it to go out the next day.  He's probably lost some biz given it wasn't just one guy complaing.

I think I've heard he was/is a chemical engineer so he makes his own coatings.  I like them better than Bayou's coatings, they are a lot more "slippery".

Alex from Ibej sponsors a lot of matches I shoot and has a bullet weight&size that nobody else carries.  I've also had him make custom colors, my wife loves her pink bullets!  The only downside I've heard from fellow shooters is don't order and expect it to go out the next day.  He's probably lost some biz given it wasn't just one guy complaing.

I think I've heard he was/is a chemical engineer so he makes his own coatings.  I like them better than Bayou's coatings, they are a lot more "slippery".

With these companies that offer multiple colors I’m assuming there is no difference in performance, it’s purely a pigment added to the coating? Iv always wondered why some companies only offer one color, while others offer a ton of different colors. Assuming most of that is a branding thing

Edit: how do you order a custom color? I don’t see that option.

22 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

With these companies that offer multiple colors I’m assuming there is no difference in performance, it’s purely a pigment added to the coating? Iv always wondered why some companies only offer one color, while others offer a ton of different colors. Assuming most of that is a branding thing

Edit: how do you order a custom color? I don’t see that option.

most color variations are for weight, caliber etc probably. I'm sure there would be an easy button if you could get color choice?

I just looked at ibejeheads and they offer some color options when you place your order online. Says you can call or email in order also so should be easy enough to ask about colors.

Edited by Sarge

12 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I asked SNS why they did not offer different colors, I prefer unique colors for each bullet weight I have around. 

They said that for their equipment the change over is a pain. 

4 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

With 9 millimeter ammunition being so cheap right now, why reload?

1000 coated bullets 75

Powder 30

Primers 30

Brass. 30

I just went to Academy Sports I bought a thousand Browning 124 fmj  9 mm loaded round rounds for $179 just asking

I load JHP's in 9MAJOR for about $140 per thousand. I buy in bulk and rarely buy 9mm brass but when I do it's only about 2 cents each

When I order my Ibeji I just make a note about color preference when I place an order.  You could always email and ask.

Practice rounds I have no preference.  I've got a lot of colors on the go! Take a look my my Christmas themed moons:

xmass icore.jpg

3 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

I figure my reloads out like this:

.05  bullets  (coated @ $50/K)

.01  powder ($30/lb @ 3.ogr)

.03  primer

In some places that comes out to $90/K. That seems cheaper than $179. Just sayin'.

Also, that load is tailored for my gun @ my PF and shoots as I wish it to shoot.

Oh, the "time factor"?  

About 10 min. per 100.

It is a hobby. But a money saving hobby!

That's pretty good price on the bullets I don't know where you're getting them  deliver to your house to $50 a thousand no tax and shipping?  best I can do is go hit,  Dr bullet in Topeka and pick up 124 grainers coated bullets for $65 1000 .

Primers for $30 a thousand every place I look. Clean tumbled 9 brass is $30 a thousand no shipping or tax. Powder about $30 a pound. That's not enough savings for me to mess with reloading. Your mileage may vary.

4 hours ago, Joedirt199 said:

You can knock the price of brass off with range pickups

Yes you can but you take a chance of picking up 9 mmm that's somebody with an open gun has supercharged the piss out to make major. That could cost you a pistol just the thought

9 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

Yes you can but you take a chance of picking up 9 mmm that's somebody with an open gun has supercharged the piss out to make major. That could cost you a pistol just the thought

I get that it concerns you and that’s certainly your perogitive but I have loaded the same cases to 9MAJOR so many times I have lost count.

17 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

That's pretty good price on the bullets I don't know where you're getting them  deliver to your house to $50 a thousand no tax and shipping?  best I can do is go hit,  Dr bullet in Topeka and pick up 124 grainers coated bullets for $65 1000 .

Primers for $30 a thousand every place I look. Clean tumbled 9 brass is $30 a thousand no shipping or tax. Powder about $30 a pound. That's not enough savings for me to mess with reloading. Your mileage may vary.

A pound of powder is 7,000 grains so a pound will load around 2,000 minor loads. So powder cost is actually about $15 per k

4 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I get that it concerns you and that’s certainly your perogitive but I have loaded the same cases to 9MAJOR so many times I have lost count.

And that Sarge, is your prerogative, either way it's all good. Just saying.

5 minutes ago, Sarge said:

A pound of powder is 7,000 grains so a pound will load around 2,000 minor loads. So powder cost is actually about $15 per k

If my math is correct, not that it always is!! if I put 6.5 Grains of power pistol in  my 9mmm cartridges, I get 1076 rounds, if I don't spill none of it. How much are you putting in your round to get two thousand rounds out of 1 lb?

28 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

Apples to apples? Do you suppose the inexpensive 9mm factory loads can be as accurate as handloads? When I started handloading in the mid 1980s, about the only people who handloaded 9 x 19mm were gunwriters, and a few hard-heads like me who believed that they could make better. 

That's not to say that there isn't good ammo available, but it certainly isn't Match Grade at $10 a box or less. And there aren't a lot of factory load options for Match Grade 9mm ammo. The question becomes what level of accuracy is necessary, but selecting the best components at prices that have been covered, Match Grade becomes much more accessible.😉

2 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

How could it cost you a pistol? 

I find enough split cases on the range to know that it is not particularly unusual for people to reload brass until failure and I've had quite a few split while firing, based on policing my own brass after practice. 

14 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

How could it cost you a pistol? 

I find enough split cases on the range to know that it is not particularly unusual for people to reload brass until failure and I've had quite a few split while firing, based on policing my own brass after practice. 

The guy doesn't sound like he handloads, so it's probably ignorance. 

I try not to pick up brass if there is an open gun on my squad, but I am 100% certain I have loaded 9mm Major brass again with no ill effects. Usually the first sign for me is loose primer pockets.

1 hour ago, usmc1974 said:

Been shooting in reloading now over 40 years. when the insult start, and things are just assumed,  I'm finished with the thread. Have a nice day

Welcome to the internet. Saying it's probably ignorance isn't much of an insult where I come from, but hey... it's 2020.

Insult or not, we need to keep it civil. 

My father, who in my eyes was a brilliant man, told me when I was growing up that it was no big deal to be ignorant. Being ignorant just means that you did not know...However, he despised a person being stupid. Ignorance is readily cured by knowledge, but stupidity cannot be cured.

I agree with up above. 9mm minor factory spec isnt worth my time or components to reload. At one time it was, May be in the future.. Today ? mmm yeh no,,  Rather keep my press set up for 357/45/ or long 40 
Far as accuracy ?  for most action games, you wont beat bulk 9mm to matter a bit. Try a couple then shoot.

7 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

When I order my Ibeji I just make a note about color preference when I place an order.  You could always email and ask.

How do you legally get them in country?

Edited by 4n2t0