Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated bullets

Slattin

What diameter are Everglades plated 9mm's? https://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/handgun-bullets/9mm-124gr-plated-fmj-bullets.html 

The web site doesn't specify bullet diameter, at least not that I have found.  

I’m 95% positive that they’re .356” like Berrys. I will double check my stock when I get home tonight and revise if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another vote for DG for me. The ogive profile allows a longer load length, and they're super consistent in shape and weight so your ammo ends up as consistent as your brass is. I tested several other manufacturers and profiles and got the lowest standard deviation with DG 124 RN's

Edited by thormx538

Blue bullets 

I've been using them for years in everything from my pcc to my old 38 supercomp open guns, no leading, accurate, and it leaves a pretty blue “grease” ring on targets

With the sole exception of open, blue bullets were the number 1 bullet used in the last 2 USPSA national survey  For all divisions

I’ve been  promoting them here for so long you’d think they’d send me a t-shirt🤣

1 hour ago, rishii said:

leaves a pretty blue “grease” ring on targets

had a guy years ago argue with me about him hitting a no shoot. Blue bullets were just hitting the scene and he was literally the only guy in the match shooting them. Nice bright blue ring really shows up nice on no shoots!😂😂

I have shot lots of Blue Bullets. They are very accurate in my 929. I shoot the .358 dia. .38 bullets.

I also have shot tons of Bayou. 105, 125, 147 mostly. They shoot great and ship quick. Donnie Miculek called after an internet order one time to make sure I knew what I ordered had no crimping groove. (.38 bullets). I told him the were to be taper crimped... Great follow up! (I think he has since sold the company?)

Lately I shoot a local friend's powder coated bullets. He makes whichever diameter I need/gun and he makes whatever color I want. (mostly pink)

The thing is that because we shoot together he makes them for $50/K. Usually charges $70/K. He's local so no shipping.

I can live with that!

Edited by Dr. Phil

I order ibeji’s over 20k at a time.  11% off.  I even ordered 40k+ once but the mailman wasn’t happy and it’s a lot of lead to move.  I think it was 15% off.

my wife and I both shoot so it’s not as crazy as it seems.

Iv heard them mentioned a couple of times on this forum, but not as much as most others. What makes them different/similar to the other makers?

I have tried many of the same and found these work as good as the others. Small business, they support the competitive shooting community locally.  Well, and they are purple. 

https://www.kingshooters.com/bulk-pc-bullets/bulk-pc-bullets-3014

Those look very interesting, especially at $0.067/bullet shipped and being purple! How would these compare to the Brazos? Harder lead? Less leading?

I have used Acme, Bayou, BBI, Everglades and ibejiheads. All 124 or 125s, all .356s over 3.8 grains of titegroup.

With these, there is no leading. They reload easy, shoot well through my CZ75 Accu, Q5 Match and G19. 

I am working on my third bulk pack of 3500 since January getting the loading done and they weigh at least 124 and quality is spot on. 

Worth a try. It looks like they charge 17.00 to ship. I live close enough to pick up. 

2 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Those look very interesting, especially at $0.067/bullet shipped and being purple! How would these compare to the Brazos? Harder lead? Less leading?

From what I can tell, Brazos brinell is 12, kingshooters are 21.

This is one of those questions that you should not ask on the internet because everybody just tells you what they use. I have excellent luck with Blue Bullets and SandS. I would likely have good luck with many others too  I just haven't tried them.

I'm sure there are exceptions but most of the known sellers are fine. The only thing to do is get some and try them. If you like the product and the sellers responses go with them.I'm telling you there isn't a nickel's worth of difference.

6 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

With 9 millimeter ammunition being so cheap right now, why reload?

1000 coated bullets 75

Powder 30

Primers 30

Brass. 30

I just went to Academy Sports I bought a thousand Browning 124 grain 9 mm loaded round rounds for $179 just asking

It's about a 5-6 cpr savings is what I'm seeing for 9mm. I was hoping for Federal to run their rebate program again as I got 115s for 12 cpr back in November.

I'm just getting into reloading so starting with 9mm and moving up to 40 to realize the better savings. Most people are reloading to have a tailored round and that they enjoy reloading as a hobby too.

1 minute ago, Intheshaw1 said:

It's about a 5-6 cpr savings is what I'm seeing for 9mm. I was hoping for Federal to run their rebate program again as I got 115s for 12 cpr back in November.

I'm just getting into reloading so starting with 9mm and moving up to 40 to realize the better savings. Most people are reloading to have a tailored round and that they enjoy reloading as a hobby too.

I hate reloading too many years, lol,  just setting behind a  machine, and cranking out rounds when they was more expensive. You are right about reloading Taylor rounds.  the only thing I'm reloading for right now is my 6.5 Grendel, because  I want 140 grain bullet that will stay supersonic past a thousand yards, with good energy.

On 2/26/2020 at 5:09 AM, Intheshaw1 said:

Fmj doesn't seem to be a whole lot more either if you buy in bulk.

I'm just starting off reloading and picked up so coated and fmjs to test. I'm almost leaning towards just spending 1 CPR more and getting fmjs.

In my testing; FMJs ALWAYS produced the best groups and have the least problems at the press and with the gun.  Admittedly, I've switched from coated to FMJ and back again, too many times. Some of that depends on availability with my favorite vendors and some of it my own indecision and maybe to an extent trying to be budget conscious.  However, the fact remains that FMJs ALWAYS have better performance. 

I've totally given up on plated bullets. Don't even consider than an option anymore.  If i need to save money, I buy coated. When i want max performance I get jacketed.  

2 minutes ago, Khaot1c said:

In my testing; FMJs ALWAYS produced the best groups and have the least problems at the press and with the gun.  Admittedly, I've switched from coated to FMJ and back again, too many times. Some of that depends on availability with my favorite vendors and some of it my own indecision and maybe to an extent trying to be budget conscious.  However, the fact remains that FMJs ALWAYS have better performance. 

I've totally given up on plated bullets. Don't even consider than an option anymore.  If i need to save money, I buy coated. When i want max performance I get jacketed.  

Just keep in mind FMJ will lead things up if you use hot powders or are running anything comped. Look at something like MG CMJ’s or JHP’s to enclose the lead base

23 minutes ago, Joedirt199 said:

You can knock the price of brass off with range pickups

Indeed.

I started collecting brass several months before I began reloading to build up a decent stockpile, so I've never had to buy brass (9mm, 38 special, 357 magnum, 45 acp, .223/5.56).  That gave me a low cost per round immediately.

Additionally, I look for local guys who are selling powder/primers/bullets (and buy on sale whenever possible) so my cost stays low there as well.

So instead of paying .18 cents per round from academy I end up around .11 - .12 cents.  I only shoot around 6000 - 7000 of 9mm/year but that still more than $350 saved by reloading.

It's a hobby to me, so I don't factor in a cost for time spend reloading, so if that's a factor then yes, its a wash with buying bulk from Academy.

Edited by 124gr9mm