Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated bullets

Slattin

I was reading the thread on Brazos bullets and seems like they are the cheapest on the market for coated, but also the softest and most issues with leading. I just purchased a 550b and will be loading a lot of 9mm in the next week or so. Wanted to see who had the best experience with coated bullet companies that is reasonable priced or any other that I don't have listed. Just based on looking, seems the average price per is around 7.2 - 8.1 cents per 1000 for 124/125gr RN coated. I've loaded 45acp from Berry's and I like those, but they are on the high end as far as price goes. Thanks!

BBI

Precision

Summers

RMR

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using bayou bullets for the past few years (95, 105, 115, 120 tcg, 124, 135, 145, 147. Wow, so all except the 150/160 grains).

I order by the case for the free shipping and the delivery time is under a week to CA.

For the 124 grain bullets: 3,500 @$246 shipped works out to $0.0703 per round.

Different manufacturers have discount codes so that might factor into your decision.

I just received 1K of what I call the SNS 125 gr. RN-SWC. Very good quality and the 150 I loaded yesterday did very well as far as tight OACL variations, and I loaded them at 1.142"/29mm. If I had my way, I'd rename this bullet the 124 gr. RN-SWC. Checking random samples I weighed them at 123.5 grs. and others of this style are usually labelled 124 grs. Dia was also very consistent at .3565". They have another bullet labeled 125 gr. RN that is like an FMJ in shape

While I was awaiting their arrival on Saturday, I did some price comparisons with Bayou and SNS had better prices for the coated bullets I use except that in one case, BBI had a better price for 500, but SNS was lower for the same bullet / 1000. I really like their .358" 158 gr. coated SWC for .38 and .357 Mag. Very accurate in my loads.

I've been using their bullets for several years now and they're as good as any I've tried, and I used their hard cast before poly-coated became available.😉

Edited by K-Texas

@Slattin,

I've had good results/experience/accuracy with:

Ibejiheads

Blue Bullets

Acme

Precision

All 9mm sized to 0.356".  They all have a sufficient Brinell hardness.  I currently compete with Ibejiheads.  Buy in bulk once you find a brand that meets your needs and use a code.  I think all the manufacturers have sample packs for you to try and see if you and your guns like them. 

I've tried two other coated bullet manufacturers not listed here that had less than stellar results.  PM me and I'll tell ya but I ain't bashing them openly. 

So are you looking for cheap bullets or only coated bullets?

I went from RMR/Berrys to Brazos coated bullets purely off of price. I had trouble getting them to load properly, and there was a pretty steep learning curve, but once they did load they shot amazingly for me over titegroup. I didn’t get any leading in my glocks or cz do-01.
I also loaded Blue bullets and had some problems, but not as many as with the Brazos, but they also didn’t shoot as well for me.

All that said, the plated bullets loaded easier and give me similar results, so I started buying Everglades plated bullets. The every day price when buying 3750 bullets is $0.072/bullet shipped for 124gr. They have a deal every week where they offer 5-15% off as well. I buy their 147gr when ever they go on sale for about $0.075/bullet

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been shooting Gallant's for two years now and have had no issues. When I need a quick 3k I'll head over to Precision. Price is a small factor but quality is more of an issue. Gallant has 125's in .356 and .357 whereas Precision offers .356,7and8's.

I have been shooting the S&S Casting 125 gr. Conical nose 9mm bullets. 

They shoot great for me. No loading or leading troubles. 

If you buy 10,000 or more bullets you get 10% off . Works out to 6.3¢ per bullet.

There may also be a USPSA discount code as well. 

Great bullets and super fast shipping. 

I have been shooting DG bullets for the last year or so, now in my open gun as well. With major pistol powder I don't get any leading. I'm loading a 124 with 9.5 grains of powder. I recently pulled a few out of the snow bank just to examine them. I was shocked to see thatwith major pistol powder, the coating on the back of the bullet is still intact. As of now if you use the code JE10 that'll save you 10 percent off any order from DG bullets. They have been very accurate in all my guns.

I have used SNS most, probably 20k of their coated 9mm’s. As long as you set your dies up correctly you shouldn’t have any issues. SNS has a bulk discount, flat rate shipping and support the sport.

Edited by NateTSU

7 hours ago, Khaot1c said:

Just get Blue Bullets and don't look back. Load em, shoot em, rinse and repeat. That will allow you to Worry about your practice and not your ammo.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

This.  I had leading with every other coated bullet I tried. 

Compiled a list of some of the brands people mentioned and did a quick cost with shipping, not tax, and discounts. Seems like bulk is the way to go "as it normally is" just come downs to almost personal preference and performance as the price difference for most are literally thousands of cents... Im sure you can get it even further with larger orders 5k+, but that is out of my price range as of now.

image.png.fc294045117e4ad10dbea2823cd14fdb.png

Edited by Slattin

14 hours ago, Slattin said:

I was reading the thread on Brazos bullets and seems like they are the cheapest on the market for coated, but also the softest and most issues with leading. I just purchased a 550b and will be loading a lot of 9mm in the next week or so. Wanted to see who had the best experience with coated bullet companies that is reasonable priced or any other that I don't have listed. Just based on looking, seems the average price per is around 7.2 - 8.1 cents per 1000 for 124/125gr RN coated. I've loaded 45acp from Berry's and I like those, but they are on the high end as far as price goes. Thanks!

BBI

Precision

Summers

RMR

You can buy 9 mm plated bullets from Rocky Mountain Reloaders for 8 cents per thou (or less if you buy in bulk) shipped.  I see no point in dealing with coated bullets at that price.

That doesn't include discount codes/sales/etc.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

1 hour ago, SGT_Schultz said:

You can buy 9 mm plated bullets from Rocky Mountain Reloaders for 8 cents per thou (or less if you buy in bulk) shipped.  I see no point in dealing with coated bullets at that price.

That doesn't include discount codes/sales/etc.

Fmj doesn't seem to be a whole lot more either if you buy in bulk.

I'm just starting off reloading and picked up so coated and fmjs to test. I'm almost leaning towards just spending 1 CPR more and getting fmjs.

6 hours ago, Slattin said:

Compiled a list of some of the brands people mentioned and did a quick cost with shipping, not tax, and discounts. Seems like bulk is the way to go "as it normally is" just come downs to almost personal preference and performance as the price difference for most are literally thousands of cents... Im sure you can get it even further with larger orders 5k+, but that is out of my price range as of now.

image.png.fc294045117e4ad10dbea2823cd14fdb.png

Thank you for taking the time to make this chart. 

Fmj doesn't seem to be a whole lot more either if you buy in bulk.

I'm just starting off reloading and picked up so coated and fmjs to test. I'm almost leaning towards just spending 1 CPR more and getting fmjs.

Plated is the best of both worlds IMO. I linked to Everglades above which are almost the same price as coated when buying in bulk. Iv has good luck with their bullets so far.

1 hour ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Plated is the best of both worlds IMO. I linked to Everglades above which are almost the same price as coated when buying in bulk. Iv has good luck with their bullets so far.

What diameter are Everglades plated 9mm's? https://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/handgun-bullets/9mm-124gr-plated-fmj-bullets.html 

The web site doesn't specify bullet diameter, at least not that I have found.  

Edited by Ken6PPC
added link

6 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

What diameter are Everglades plated 9mm's? 

The web site doesn't specify bullet diameter, at least not that I have found.  

They state that the 147 gr are 0.356".  They don't say for the 124 & 115 gr.  Call'em up.