Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you look for in an open 9mm major gun?

LimitedCam

I was all set to order a STI DVC Open 9mm last September until the STI rep told me they were no longer accepting orders.

So I went with a Czechmate but was pleasantly surprised with it. For me it's just right and I only plan to install a flat trigger. It came with two different thumrests but they are too far forward for me.

Still going to add an Open 2011 but enjoy the different design of the Czechmate for now and until I can shoot both.

IMHO open guns are a very personal thing if you are having one built. 

What I like, the next person may not.

For me I like a thumb rest, racker, 8 moa dot, steel grip, curved trigger shoe, etc. 

For the recoil spring I install a shock buff and see if it gets chewed up quickly. If it does, I install a heavier spring. I do not want to beat up my frame....I am in Calif and 2011 frames are very hard to come by. I currently run a 10 lb spring and it is supper flat and soft shooting. Dot wiggles a bit if I am gripping the pistol correctly.

Most folks run lighter springs, but again, you have to find what works for you.

Have fun! 

Grip is the most important for me and a steel aggressive grip is what I like. Next is comp and scope. I like full size models but lightened where it can be. Aesthetics are last on my list but are still important. I mean, a good looking race gun goes faster, right? :)

6 hours ago, LimitedCam said:

Id like my next one to be a mid or shorter slide i have sti dvc o now!

This setup has shot well for me so far. Although I haven’t tried anything else to compare so take it for what it’s worth. 

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I've never shot a shorty, but I've been reading posts here at BE for a decade,

and have seen quite a few comments that the shorties are tougher to

control, shooting Major factor ammo.

Same. Easy, faster transitions but more violent. The few who I have known to buy them always seem to sell and get a full size gun

15 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I had a shorty open gun STI DVC Steel, great gun handled major ammo but it was a hand full. Pretty violent snappy recoil.   Ate Vortex Razor red dots like candy.  I also have a custom light weight Accurail gun built by Doug Jones, much better handling the major ammo.  The light weight makes it a bit of a hand full.  Recoil is nice and manageable. 

I took delivery of a Venom Customs Open blaster, Long Wide frame, steel grip in PVD stainless, with a binary two port comp.  This gun has some weight but feels like I'm shooting minor ammo through it.  Don builds a great gun.  

60443595476__9C822810-A3B4-4E11-963A-258B9D0D7FB2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2020 at 7:43 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

"False" .....my shorty shots very flat. No control issues ever,..... just operator error issues..LOL  

4 hours ago, Badluck2 said:

.my shorty shoots very flat. 

I've never shot a shorty, but I'm glad yours shoots flat    :) 

How would it compare to the same gun, same load, in a

"longy".    ?

Have you compare the two  -  shorty and longy ?