Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What happened to STI?

ARK

1 hour ago, ARK said:

Looked at their web site the other day and is full of Commando style characters. Does it mean STI is out of sport shooting business???

There are several threads already discussing this topic with a lot of useful information in them.

They couldn’t keep up with DVC-O warranty issues.  Everyone is trying to sell theirs now that they no longer warranty them.  They’re destined to break, ask me how I know.. I’ve had 10 warranty replacements 

The tacticool market is huge now especially with John Wick...  so they’re following the money. 

12 hours ago, ARK said:

Looked at their web site the other day and is full of Commando style characters. Does it mean STI is out of sport shooting business???

A quick summary of the long threads from the past:

You’ve trashed your reputation with the competitive community and it will take years to build it back. With guys who are notoriously cheap, many of whom wear guns out in just a couple of years with the insane volume they fire, and they feed your guns +P+ 9mm ammo all day long.

You look over to your left, and you see the John Wick crowd hovering over there. Hmm. They love spending insane money on guns, and they shoot 10% as much ammo. Their 9mm ammo is factory pressure. Most of them leave the gun completely stock.

The easiest path to returning to a healthy profit margin is stupendously obvious.

19 hours ago, cecil said:

i think since STI's warranty for their previous sold guns state.. "LIFETIME WARRANTY" .. I feel confident they will honor their commitment ..

I think their new warranty is better ?

This is their old warranty. 

936FBD3A-73F9-4243-BCF4-94CDF177F7BF.jpeg

Edited by robb315

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

A quick summary of the long threads from the past:

You’ve trashed your reputation with the competitive community and it will take years to build it back. With guys who are notoriously cheap, many of whom wear guns out in just a couple of years with the insane volume they fire, and they feed your guns +P+ 9mm ammo all day long.

You look over to your left, and you see the John Wick crowd hovering over there. Hmm. They love spending insane money on guns, and they shoot 10% as much ammo. Their 9mm ammo is factory pressure. Most of them leave the gun completely stock.

The easiest path to returning to a healthy profit margin is stupendously obvious.

But, but, they're using +p ammo in John wick3 in the sti.  LOL

Tank you for your responses, i was away for a while from my pistols, shooting rifles so this events escaped my attention. To be honest, I am surprised with this events, I have few STI pistols, shot the more than any other brand ( about 5000 rounds/year), I have  had only few problems with them. Never had to sent the gun in for major warranty claim but know people who cracked their slides and STI always stood by their products. 

So,  some of you know me.  I've been here for a while and I've shot a lot of different widebody pistols over the last 10 years or so.  I have 4 random examples of the Stacatto line in my possession.  I've carried one on the border for a couple weeks in horrible conditions and shot a few hundred rounds though it.  And I've shot one for the last several months in matches.  The other two have been shot a little and carried a lot.  All of them have performed/functioned 100%.  I won't put my name on something that won't run and I certainly wouldn't ask my co-workers to spend their money on a pistol that isn't reliable.  

I think the above mentioned points are all valid and with the patent running out on the 2011 frame, everyone is making their own so they really don't have the market they used to have. If you're going to get a custom gun, I think a lot will go to the one of the builders with their own frames/slides or similar instead of ordering from STI. I do hate to see this, I still have my first STI Open gun from the 90's. I hardly ever take it out but when I do, it still runs good. The new owning company of STI (Westwind) probably is chasing the money, as stated above. I hope they come back to the competitive side in the future.