Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 SP01 tactical for USPSA ?

MFM22

Couple of things    I' m new to practical shooting    Can the 01 T be used in idpa  & Uspsa. Production 

is the SP01 Tactical  tournament worthy ( as is. Stock no mods )

how does  compare to the popular Shadow 2  

I like the idea of the decocker when "making ready "  plus it just feels so good in hand 

thanks 

Couple of things    I' m new to practical shooting    Can the 01 T be used in idpa  & Uspsa. Production 

is the SP01 Tactical  tournament worthy ( as is. Stock no mods )

how does  compare to the popular Shadow 2  

I like the idea of the decocker when "making ready "  plus it just feels so good in hand 

thanks 

Yes.

Legal, yes. Competitive, some would say not really.

Comparing a stock SP01 Tactical to a Shadow 2 is almost like comparing a stock Glock to a 2011. However, it is almost always the indian and not the arrow.

If it works for you, go for it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

- SP01 is approved for USPSA production and allowed for IDPA stock service pistol

- you can absolutely shoot it with no modifications, but a simple spring swap wouldnt be a bad idea

- Shadow 2 has a nicer trigger, fits a larger hand better, and has more weight up front

- decocker model has less potential for improvement from a trigger job and offers no competitive advantage in USPSA or IDPA. I would like the decocker for 3 gun due to the use of dump barrels / buckets

If you are purchasing just for competition, I wouldn't pick the tactical. If you already own it, I wouldn't replace it!

Edited by DesertTortoise

I shot a Shadow 2 today , it is way different than my Glock 34  for sure !   

The double action wasn't that bad , the single action is wicked !! Holy crap  not sure if I had an AD or a super fast double tap 

that is a LIGHT trigger , demands much respect 

I practiced manually decocking many times and  had no issues but can see the concerns. Just need to pay 100% attention and do not nonchalant it 

If you're looking for one gun for idpa ssp and uspsa production a tactical is a very good choice. First you can get one for pretty cheap. Second the decocker allows you to shoot from the half cock for a better first pull. The difference between a polished and cajuned shadow and a tactical is very narrow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My buddy just picked up a used, like new SP01 for about $500 to his door. He loves my TSO but didn't want to fork out $1700 for one or $1100+ for an S2. He loves it, the mags are cheap and for $100 in some springs and an Sao trigger he will have a great weapon to grow with and one that likely won't lose any residual value when he's ready to upgrade. 

Having a decocker for make ready is overrated vs the ability to swap a safety model to Sao and shoot limited. With just a little practice it's quite easy to drop the hammer on a safety model. 

Overall I think the sp01 is a great option. You can easily modify and upgrade it as you grow as a shooter. If you decide to upgrade in the future they also make a great defensive option. 

I am just a hobby/for fun shooter so I'll likely never spend the $3-4k for a custom 2011. 

SP01 is a great gun for production.  I shot one for a season and didn't feel that the gun was holding me back.  Sure the first DA pull takes some getting used to, but the SA after that can be tuned to a very respectable smooth, easy pull. 

In any case, I wouldn't recommend either the S2 or SP01 for competing in limited division, there are better choices for this division.

The decocker equipped 75s can easily be tuned to where their triggers are, for all practical purposes (meaning actually shooting and not "feeling" it in dry fire), just as good as any non-decocker or even any non-FPB CZ.

I too prefer decockers for DA/SA and so long as there's a choice of them from CZ I won't shoot one where I have to manually lower the hammer.

The decocker equipped 75s can easily be tuned to where their triggers are, for all practical purposes (meaning actually shooting and not "feeling" it in dry fire), just as good as any non-decocker or even any non-FPB CZ.

I too prefer decockers for DA/SA and so long as there's a choice of them from CZ I won't shoot one where I have to manually lower the hammer.

I have to disagree here. I highly doubt you can reliably get sub 5# DA and sub 2# SA triggers with the firing pin block working properly. The reset is also notably longer with a firing pin block. Yes, I have fully modded and polished up several cz75 decocker models.

If one is not comfortable putting the hammer down then that is a training issue that will eventually go away with time and repitition.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I disagree that a well tuned decocker is much different than a tuned shadow. I have compared my sp01 shadow orange and cajun sp01 shadow target 2 to a pal's tactical that had a gunsmith installed cajun pro kit. There was very little difference. Identical? Maybe not but minimal unless handled back to back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, himurax13 said:

I have to disagree here. I highly doubt you can reliably get sub 5# DA and sub 2# SA triggers with the firing pin block working properly.

Notice that I said "for all practical purposes".  For all practical purposes there's no difference on shooter performance between a 4.5 lb DA trigger and a 7 lb DA trigger if your hands have reasonable strength and dexterity and your grip is fundamentally correct.  For all practical purposes, one can rip sub .2 splits with a 3 lb SA just as you can with a sub 2 lb trigger, again assuming reasonable skill and dexterity.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

I agree with others, a tuned Tactical is not a handicap over a tuned safety model or even a Shadow 2. Having the Shadow is not going to improve your transition speeds, your grip, or your ability to shoot as soon as you come into position; you know, the stuff that actually impacts performance. 

Spend $650 on the Tactical, polish the internals, and buy the CGW SRS-2 Short Reset System for $72. Spend the $300 you saved on 2k rounds of practice ammo. If you really feel that the reach is an issue, you can upgrade with the Reach reduction kit down the road. 

IMO, one could/can, using the CGW parts, without a doubt get an SP-01Tactical w/ FB+decocker close to a non-FB S1/S2 (maybe close enough for some). But, it'll cost you, because you'll more than likely have to do springs, hammer, and the short-reset kit to get it there (I did it to a P-01 I used to have). It'll end up being a very nice gun, that'll get you far.

That said, you'll never really be able to get the trigger-reset as short, or the pull quite as nice as a non-FB non-decock gun... and if you ever shoot the non-FB non-decock versions, you're probably going to wish you'd put your money into that vs the FB/decocker gun.

If you already own the Tactical, I'd say just upgrade/swap the springs, maybe look up some of the polishing threads, stop there, and shoot the crap out of it... If you haven't bought the Tactical yet, I'd say pick up an SP-01 Shadow or S2 depending on what you can swing (they've literally never been more affordable then they are right now with CZC dealing the S1's for $750, S2's $1050, for a loooong time you couldn't get an S1 for less than $850 or S2 for less than $1200 if you could even find one)... vs around $600 or more for a new Tactical. You'll be used to manually decocking the hammer in no time 😉

MFM - if you havent bought one yet the sp01 shadows are going for 750nib.. great way to get into the game... and small enough for practical use.
also - imo limited minor is a much better division than production for new shooters.. and factory ammo makes life easy. 
get one, hop in, shoot 50 matches to learn the game.. at which point you will have a better idea what you want to do next.

54 minutes ago, scroadkill said:

MFM - if you havent bought one yet the sp01 shadows are going for 750nib.. great way to get into the game... and small enough for practical use.
also - imo limited minor is a much better division than production for new shooters.. and factory ammo makes life easy. 
get one, hop in, shoot 50 matches to learn the game.. at which point you will have a better idea what you want to do next.

Where can I buy a SP01 Shadow NIB for $750?  

2 hours ago, muncie21 said:

That certainly is a great price.  Of course, it doesn't have a highly tuned action, like the higher end SP-01 Shadows.  

This is the one I thought scroadkill was saying was $750...  https://czcustom.com/new-firearms/cz-pistols-custom/sp01-shadow-custom-black.html 

Edited by Ken6PPC

On 2/26/2020 at 12:38 AM, 1steelshooter said:

If you are interested in a sp-01 shadow CZ Custom has them on sale right now for $750. That definitely is a step up from a standard sp-01.

https://czcustom.com/new-firearms/cz-pistols-factory/cz-75-sp01-shadow-9mm-91154-black-cz-custom-exclusive.html

I bought that model Shadow about 5 years ago.  This is a great model gun to buy.   3 magazines fiber optic sight Shadow controls over all it's a great gun.  Initially I put simple 11.5lb spring kit and tuned the recoil springs to my load and shot the crap out of that gun.  Later on after many 10s of thousands of rounds I installed a race hammer, billet sear, and barrel bushing after I wore out the stock sear and was having hammer follow.  Out of the box it's a great gun.   The make ready thing with the double action had never been any problem for me