Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Matching Coming up in 2 Weeks

jschroep

19 minutes ago, jschroep said:

Have my first match in 2 weeks. What advice would you give a new to USPSA shooter? I will be shooting production. 

On the first stage, if your name is called at the top of the shooter order, ask to be dropped down the list. That way you get a chance to see how the stage is shot. 

Ask questions. 

Help reset the stage (tape, poppers, etc...)

Stay fed and hydrated. 

Have fun. 

Come back and post a report here. 

The only three things that matter at your first match are, in no particular order :

1.  Safety

2.   Safety

3.  Safety.

A distant fourth is accuracy.

The LEAST Important thing is SPEED.

Keep your finger out of the trigger guard until you're ready to shoot, listen carefully to the RO, 

don't fall with a gun in your hand, if you drop the gun - don't try to catch it midair, watch your

180 (your first shoot, I'd make that a 160), don't bring any ammo to the safe table, in short,

don't get DQ'd or endanger anyone at the shoot.

Oh, and enjoy.    :) 

Like said above, safety is the most important thing. If you have two weeks read the rule book. Next read the rule book again. Show up early, well rested and get checked in. Be sure everyone knows it's your first match. If you're polite and say thank you, people will go out of there way to help you. Your goals should be to be very safe and learn. 

Don't be afraid to say "I don't understand". Also you might consider shooting Limited minor instead of Production for the ammo reserves. Make sure all your equipment is in good working order. A first match is one thing. A first match with constant malfunctions is rough. Have fun and welcome. 

9 hours ago, Part_time_redneck said:

Like said above, safety is the most important thing. If you have two weeks read the rule book. Next read the rule book again. Show up early, well rested and get checked in. Be sure everyone knows it's your first match. If you're polite and say thank you, people will go out of there way to help you. Your goals should be to be very safe and learn. 

Don't be afraid to say "I don't understand". Also you might consider shooting Limited minor instead of Production for the ammo reserves. Make sure all your equipment is in good working order. A first match is one thing. A first match with constant malfunctions is rough. Have fun and welcome. 

Are they okay with switching your division at the event or?

Read the Rule Book. Most of it deals with the stage design and maters that aren't your problem. So start in Chapter 8, 9 and 10. Here's the link. 

https://uspsa.org/rules

Safety is key. Note that everyone's gun will be unloaded, and stay that way until the Range Officer tell you to "load and make ready." There are only two condition where it is acceptable to pull you gun out of your holster: at the Safe Table (no ammo allowed), or at the direction of the Range Officer when it's your turn to shoot.

Keeping you muzzle pointed down range is a big deal. When you move, when you reload, when the stage makes you carry another object; keep that muzzle pointed down range!

Shooter are good people, they will help you out with whatever you need. Enjoy!

9 minutes ago, Chuckie45 said:

Read the Rule Book. Most of it deals with the stage design and maters that aren't your problem. So start in Chapter 8, 9 and 10. Here's the link. 

https://uspsa.org/rules

Safety is key. Note that everyone's gun will be unloaded, and stay that way until the Range Officer tell you to "load and make ready." There are only two condition where it is acceptable to pull you gun out of your holster: at the Safe Table (no ammo allowed), or at the direction of the Range Officer when it's your turn to shoot.

Keeping you muzzle pointed down range is a big deal. When you move, when you reload, when the stage makes you carry another object; keep that muzzle pointed down range!

Shooter are good people, they will help you out with whatever you need. Enjoy!

Looking at the rules it feels like there is a gazillion ways to DQ. Some are like if you sneeze the wrong way. But I guess so long as you follow the basic safety rules of muzzle awareness and finger off the trigger, you'll be pretty much good.

26 minutes ago, jschroep said:

gazillion ways to DQ.  guess you're good if you watch the muzzle and keep your finger off the trigger.

Those are definitely bad ones, but you also have to watch yourself holstering at the safety table, and

keeping ammo away from the safety table, and be careful thru the RO's commands to "make ready"

and "unload and show clear".  LOTS of people have been DQ'd at the safety table and while getting

ready to shoot and reholstering at the end.  And, don't drop a loaded gun.

6 hours ago, jschroep said:

Looking at the rules it feels like there is a gazillion ways to DQ. Some are like if you sneeze the wrong way. But I guess so long as you follow the basic safety rules of muzzle awareness and finger off the trigger OUT OF THE TRIGGER GUARD, you'll be pretty much good.

Small edit.

Well I went out to shoot the new gun and had a guy with a P226 and a Romeo 1 on it. I shot it and lets just say I like the dot. 

Had a friend that works at the range and got a Delta Point Pro for a good deal. 

Decided to shoot carry optics cause I like dots and don't really wanna reload every second.

I just gotta take off the magwell and call it a day.

I will also say that I am super impressed with how this thing shoots put of the box. Trigger is nice, gun is very calm. 

0226202203~4.jpg

On 2/26/2020 at 11:03 AM, jschroep said:

Looking at the rules it feels like there is a gazillion ways to DQ. Some are like if you sneeze the wrong way. But I guess so long as you follow the basic safety rules of muzzle awareness and finger off the trigger, you'll be pretty much good.

it's not that hard if you have an IQ above room temp and are somewhat coordinated in your movement.

On 2/26/2020 at 8:03 AM, jschroep said:

Hey friend. I want to let you know that I never looked at the rules for a few years. I just watched and listened and didn't argue. I didn't start getting disqualified until after I became a Certified NROI Range Officer. Go figure. 

You'll do fine. Just relax and enjoy the experience. 

I just went to my first match with no expectations. Let everyone know I was a newb. Everyone was real helpful with questions I had etc. Main thing is safe gun handling, the rest is learning.

Edited by Tim22