Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Unclassified

Intel6

TL,

It sucks when a shooter that puts in the time and effort to win gets the howitzer powder.

I agree completely --- and I'm not nuts about matches raffling off guns either, though I didn't turn down the Springfield XD I won in the shooter's raffle at one of the IDPA Winter Championships. That said, I don't shoot for money or prizes. I shoot for the challenge of competition, the camaraderie,m and to gauge how I stack up to the best in the world, or the best in my backyard. If I can shoot a consistent match, I'm a happier camper than if I got a great prize off the table, shooting inconsistently.

I got two pounds of VV N330 off the Nationals prizetable this year. I'll probably forget about that as soon as I've used it up --- but I'll always remember shooting my classification percentage against Dave Sevigny in the match, and shooting 74% of his score on Stage 8.

This is not to say that I don't appreciate the prizes I've gotten at matches --- I've gotten good use out of most of them, in furthering my development as a shooter. But that's my goal in shooting, progress, not prizes.