Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Unclassified

Intel6

I will be shooting an area match soon and it doesn't look like I will be able to get classified for the match like I had hoped. The nearest club is a few hours away and I can't always get up there and when I do they don't always have classifiers. I thought I had started soon enough but didn't realize that clubs can only put on a certain number of classifiers and they had already used up most of them already. The only other option is to drive 3 hours one way to the next nearest club and shoot some classifiers which isn't a very good option.

I am wondering what are the pros and cons of shooting an Area match in "U" ?

I honestly don't feel very good shooting U and feel a bit like a sandbagger. I would much prefer to shoot the match as a classified shooter but don't see how that is possible?

TIA,

Neal in AZ

i too want to be classified but due to the distance of the classifiers, i have not been classified yet(almost 2 years)

doesnt matter in our country since there are not much class awards. ITs just aggregates. :)

but there in the USA, where there are prizes for class winners or so. I suggest get classified. You may win a prize:)

I shot unclassified earlier this year. It was great, ya know why, because it was trigger time!!!!

What is winning? Is it important? I prefer to judge my performance against how I expect to shoot, not against others. If I exceed my expectations for the day/match, then it is good, if not, I need more work.

I think too many people get caught up in "winning", rather than enjoying the experience.

Shooting is like life, it is a journey. Enjoy the journey and the outcome will be better.

Neal,

It won't help now but for future reference sometimes clubs put on classifier matches where you can shoot 4 in one match. That allows you to get an initial classification on the books. Perhaps it is time for you to get a club started down there. Sierra Vista could use a USPSA club!

Later,

Chuck

Shooting any major match will also help you get your classification. It may speed up the process too. Sedro will use your result percentage towards your classification. Go to the match, do well and enjoy yourself!

As stated you will not be elgible for a prize as a class winner, therefore to win anything at the match you must win overall or high division ie open, limited, l10, or production.

Very true!

At our club, only the division winner can get anything as unclassified.

We give a discount to USPSA members, as most of our U shooters are not USPSA members. Some have figured out that it pays to join USPSA just for the discount, if they shoot enough.

The nearest club is a few hours away and I can't always get up there and when I do they don't always have classifiers.  I thought I had started soon enough but didn't realize that clubs can only put on a certain number of classifiers and they had already used up most of them already.

I am not sure where you got the information about classifiers as it is my understanding that USPSA requires 12 per year unless the club requests a waiver. That is the reason most clubs in Montana hold at least 1 Special Classifer match because the season is March to November at polar bear clubs. And April to October at other clubs depending on sensibilities.

USPSA would rather waive activity requirements than to see clubs die. Our club shoots one classifier per month except when the weather is so inclement as to cause a match cancellation. Some clubs rarely shoot a classifier because they are just too lazy to set one up. Unfortunately, others don't even bother filling out the activity reports.

As for shooting unclassified, that's the way I would prefer to shoot. No living up to a card, no sandbagging, no grandbagging. It's the way things ought to be.

An Area match percentage should count as a classifier. However not all "major" matches do. No matter how many folks are in a division or how many GM's attend, it is still up to the match staff to decide and send it in.

Shooting any major match will also help you get your classification. It may speed up the process too. Sedro will use your result percentage towards your classification. Go to the match, do well and enjoy yourself!

Is this true? Or do there have to be a certain number of GM's shooting the same Division?

Boo,

My comment was certainly true in my case anyway. Although it was better than ten years ago. I participated in an other areas Area match. I went there with my "C" card. I ended up 4th place over all and my Match percentage was around a 96 point something. I received a congratulations card and a nice hand written note from Val along with my new "M" card. I was anticipating an "A" card due to the classifier scores I was shooting at the time. I guess that my performance at that Area Match bumped my up.

Do they do that anymore? I dont know for sure to tell you the truth. I've only just come back to the sport after 13 years.

The Lewis system is a class system, imposed after the scores are tabulated. I'm pretty sure TL was advocating shooting heads up, and visiting a prize table, or receiving a check, in the order of finish......

Understood. But would heads up fly? Especially, with a number of bigger matches raffling off prize guns instead of the top shooters getting their pick.

I am all for giving everyone a chance bring home a gun, especially the last place guy. But when the last place guy brings home a gun or a 1050 and the winner gets a cleaning rod and a pound of REX A10,000 howitzer powder, something is wrong.

That, however, is the trend it seems. The majority of the shooters in our sport are C-class. Why would a C-class shooter go to a match when a bunch of GM's are figuring out which class the other GM's aren't shooting? Does a C Class shooter honestly have a chance?

Since the C-class shooters bring in the money, if they don't show up, the GM's will have to duke it out amongst themselves for the cleaning rod and a bag of peanuts.

If you are not at the top of the food chain, it makes no sense.

SRT Driver

If you are doing this for FUN, whyhave prizes at all...when I started in IPSC, it was a trophy sport only and gradually got away from that...it seems that everyone thinks they need to make a trip to the prize table....

Well, Joe Bob; just like Pro Golf, if you don't make the cut, you don't get to stick your head into the pay window....

I get tired of everyone whining that they never win anything...heck, if they would spend the time practicing that they do whining, they just might win something better than a can of howitzer powder.... :P

Well, Joe Bob; just like Pro Golf, if you don't make the cut, you don't get to stick your head into the pay window....

Tightloop and Ron -- not being contentious, but truly curious why y'all are opposed to the classfication system? At the higher levels, you guys are man-on-man anyway, no?

I'm new at this, but really find it fun, and like having a yard-stick to measure progress, and the enjoy competing against relative peers.

I understand your example of pro golf, but understand, too, how many of us play (or have played) the game, and never given any kind of serious consideration to wasting money on Q-School, or other tournaments. And, amateur golf has a handicap system.

I guess I just don't see the negative aspects to the system; otoh, I don't run a club, or have to hassle with paperwork, etc., so I'm sure there's something I'm missing?

A club can turn in a maximum of 12 classifiers a year, with the minimum being 3.

I believe there is a minimum of 8 matches a year for clubs, but I do know it was waived for my club once.