Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lefty Mag release?

3 hours ago, nate89 said:

My method (also a lefty) is using colt mags.  That allows you to use any aftermarket ambi mag release. I prefer the QC10 lower, but PSA, Spikes, CMMG, etc. all make a colt mag lower.  You can also use a mag block.

Do you know of anything for Glock mags. From what I have heard Colt mags aren't the better of the two.

14 hours ago, Colby_Bedell said:

Do you know of anything for Glock mags. From what I have heard Colt mags aren't the better of the two.

I ran a colt gun initially specifically because I’m a lefty and wanted an ambi mag catch. 

Due to extensive issues tuning the gun and the difficulty of seating a colt mag even when downloaded a full ten rounds... I switched to Glock. Instant boon to reliability, and the mags seat like a normal gun’s would.

I’m running a KE Arms ambi lower, which I can’t recommend highly enough. KE and Gibbz are the two places to grab a Glock lower. The KE is the better choice of the two, if just for the fact that it comes with a flared magwell already machined into the lower.

👍

Edited by MemphisMechanic
1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I ran a colt gun initially specifically because I’m a lefty and wanted an ambi mag catch

Due to extensive issues tuning the gun and the difficulty of seating a colt mag even when downloaded a full ten rounds... I switched to Glock. Instant boon to reliability, and the mags seat like a normal gun’s would.

I’m running a KE Arms ambi lower, which I can’t recommend highly enough. KE and Gibbz are the two places to grab a Glock lower. The KE is the better choice of the two, if just for the fact that it comes with a flared magwell already machined into the lower.

👍

This is some great info. For me I plan to get a techwell anyway so that flared part doesn't matter to me. I was looking more at gibbz because it looks like Gibbz has more of a button to push. Please let me know if that is wrong on the KE arms. I was looking at the Odin Extended mag release as well.

Thanks again for the information! 

I like how high the KE lever sits from the frame, and the threaded shaft arrangement lets you set it’s height and travel required to dump the mag. It seems cheesy at first but it works exceptionally well. I have long skinny fingers, and the end of the lever is closer to the first knuckle than it is to the fingertip. 

My colt mag gun had a big fat ambi release which was also a hair trigger: It took concentration to go after the extended Strike bolt catch on the gun without dumping the mag. Everything was packed too close together.

I’m happy with the KE: whenenver I need to load the mag drops without thinking about it, but I’ve also never lost one accidentally. However I’m also not setup with a LRBHO, so I’m no longer messing with the bolt catch.

I should add that the Gibbz are really nice.

You’ll be happy with either.

Edited by MemphisMechanic