Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G20 or G40 mos for USPA?

guidedmiscle

I have both firearms and a lot of brass. I have interest try my hand using downloaded 10 mil. About 20 years ago downloaded to old major power factor some ammo using 2nd gen G20 I have, power factor was about 178, it seemed softer shooting than my 45 in single stack, Para and G21. 

Life has change and his looking like can participate somewhat regularly in the sport again. Came across a respectable deal the G40, it intrigued me so I bought it. 

Shooting USPSA I have shot g 34, g 19 and g 21 along with several other firearms. My Glocks have all been pretty close to stock with exception to lighter recoil spring the g34. I'm thinking I may do greater modifications in this 10 mil venture. I don't think I would be doing frame modifications (probably would use skateboard tape the grip the Gen 2 G20), but I'm thinking of making a nice performing limited class Glock. Not sure which platform 2 work with? The old Gen 2 G20 or the Gen 4 G40? Not sure of what company to go with 4 parts. Thought I'd hit you guys up for feedback, been out of this for about 20 years.

Either will do and they are very soft shooting.   I personally like the Gen 4 frames but also think that the G40 is too long.  For limited you could probably switch the Gen 2 slide to the Gen 4 frame.  

I use a lot of Dawson Precision stuff on my Glocks.  The only extended base pads for the large frames, that I know of are made by Arredondo.  

Also if you search this site there is a pretty informative thread on using a G20 for limited.

You also don't have to shoot 10mm.  There are numerous conversion barrels available.

Awhile back I tried the exact same route. The G20SF Gen3 was my preferred pistol as it just seemed better balanced than the G40. Arredondo and Taylor Freelance Mag extensions are available. The 45 springs don't like the 10mm follower so I used .40 mag springs with the stock followers on the extensions.  The Glock 20 works well with .40 conversion barrels also if you want to try something different..Finally if you want to be really different, lone wolf made a 9x25 Dillon barrel for the G20.. I picked one up on eBay, can't wait to try it out this spring.