Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picked up a 320 XFive

jschroep

No sure about limited, but the 21 round magazine with grams guts and TTI basepad or 17 round magazine with springer basepad and grams guts are the most common for 9mm. Both get 23 easily. I’d look at those components in .40 (If they make them) to begin with. 

The 320 x5 doesn't come in 40sw.  You could get a x-change kit for it though in 40sw.  They don't make a barrel that fits the x5 in 40.  I don't think you'll be able to find an aftermarket barrel that fits the x5 slide in 40 though... it's common to go from 40 to 9, but not so much the other way around.  

kg

The 21 rd mags from Sig are mostly non-legal for USPSA because they are slightly longer than the 141.25mm limit in Limited and Carry Optics. You will need a mag gauge to check yours. The basepads are slightly too thick and need to be sanded down to fit the gauge.

You can get 23 rounds in them if you replace the spring and follower with the kit from Grams Engineering and replace the basepad with either Springer or Taran Tactical +2 pads. They are thinner than the stock basepads, even though they add capacity.

32 minutes ago, ClangClang said:

The 21 rd mags from Sig are mostly non-legal for USPSA because they are slightly longer than the 141.25mm limit in Limited and Carry Optics. You will need a mag gauge to check yours. The basepads are slightly too thick and need to be sanded down to fit the gauge.

You can get 23 rounds in them if you replace the spring and follower with the kit from Grams Engineering and replace the basepad with either Springer or Taran Tactical +2 pads. They are thinner than the stock basepads, even though they add capacity.

Hmm woulda been nice if they made them that way from the factory. One other question about holsters. If I am looking to shoot Cary optics or limited, can I use the race style holsters and just play with how low I have the holster? For carry optics the butt of the gun has to be above the top of my belt right?

Or am I missing something?

36 minutes ago, jschroep said:

Hmm woulda been nice if they made them that way from the factory. One other question about holsters. If I am looking to shoot Cary optics or limited, can I use the race style holsters and just play with how low I have the holster? For carry optics the butt of the gun has to be above the top of my belt right?

Or am I missing something?

All divisions require heel of the butt above top of belt. No race HOLSTERs in CO

1 hour ago, ClangClang said:

As I understand it Sig sends (3) 17 round magazines with the P320 X5 Legion. Do I need the Grams guts PLUS the basepads from either TTI or Springer to get to 23 rounds? How many rounds can you get in the factory Sig mags with just the basepads? How many rounds with just the Grams kit? 

Sorry, newbie here regarding CO. Been shooting Single Stack since before it was a separate division and thinking about a move......

35 minutes ago, Soderquist said:

I bought the +5 base pads with spring from Taylor Freelance for 39.99. They go on the 17 round Sig mags. I've got over 10K through them with no problems.

That's more like it. I'd assume they are under 141.25mm? I think I might just mess around in limited then and possible pick up an optic to shoot CO in a few. 

Also I already have an Alpha X. So if I get this holster, https://benstoegerproshop.com/daa-pdr-pro-ii-2-doh-holster-by-double-alpha-academy/ can I put that on the hanger that is already in place for the alpha X? Switching the mounting hardware is a pain.

Edited by jschroep
Did not want to double post

45 minutes ago, jcm said:

As I understand it Sig sends (3) 17 round magazines with the P320 X5 Legion. Do I need the Grams guts PLUS the basepads from either TTI or Springer to get to 23 rounds? How many rounds can you get in the factory Sig mags with just the basepads? How many rounds with just the Grams kit? 

Sorry, newbie here regarding CO. Been shooting Single Stack since before it was a separate division and thinking about a move......

The grams will allow 1 more round. so 18 with just the kit, or 23 with kit and pads. I have the 21 rounders with springer and grams. At first the 23rd round was not re loadable until they set in. I usually just load 22 so they are easy enough to reload and I don't need to be forcefull, besides 1 more round won't make a huge difference IMO count the shots and better stage planning. I do wish i had bought the TTI pads because the springer uses a wonky 0.5mm hex and its easy to strip. 

Just now, jschroep said:

Aight I will take a look at those. 

What would you recommend division wise? I'm between CO and limited. Yes I know I'll be getting minor scoring in limited but oh well.

Minor scoring in limited is for people who like participation trophies.

Slap a dot on that thing and shoot CO or stick with irons and shoot Production.  9mm guns do not belong in Limited

7 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

Probably only ever use 4 unless it's a very unusual stage!

Or if I'm shooting air. Sounds like I have some new things to go buy. Hopefully I can get everything in. I think the next match around is towards the first of the march. Super excited. Figure Ill get enough mags for production then make a division choice about CO or production. Probably gonna go CO pretty quickly

Edited by jschroep

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2020 at 11:29 AM, Lowsc3 said:

The grams will allow 1 more round. so 18 with just the kit, or 23 with kit and pads. I have the 21 rounders with springer and grams. At first the 23rd round was not re loadable until they set in. I usually just load 22 so they are easy enough to reload and I don't need to be forcefull, besides 1 more round won't make a huge difference IMO count the shots and better stage planning. I do wish i had bought the TTI pads because the springer uses a wonky 0.5mm hex and its easy to strip. 

So it sounds like you are using the +5 TTI base pads along with the Grams kit to get 23 rounds.   Is the +5 TTI pad good-to-go in Carry Optics (is not longer than 140mm), OR do I need to get the +2 pad to stay CO legal for magazine length?

On 2/24/2020 at 5:15 PM, OPENB said:

Get the TTI bases. Keep the stock spring & follower. I get 23 in mine. Cheaper than replacing everything, and no tiny hex screw to strip or loose.

Same question for Carry Optics. Is the +5 TTI base pad legal for Carry Optics to keep the magazine under 140mm OR do I need to stick with +2 base pads? (assuming I am using SIG factory 17 round mags).

Edited by jcm
magazine clarification

My answer to the OP was about the X5, which comes with 21rd. mags. I have no experience with lengthening the 17rd. mags, but I assume the TTI +5/Grams guts combo is the best way to get to 23.

If you are planning on going to Majors and therefore going through chrono, you have to gauge every mag and basepad. Period. There is a significant amount of variance on the length of the magazine tubes. This is true for every mag tube brand I've ever dealt with.  Cutting and folding sheet metal is not a particularly precise process. Machined aluminum basepads are almost always perfect. It's the tubes that change.

17 round tubes with a TTI +5 should fit the gauge. But some tubes are too long.

21 round tubes with a TTI +2 (or Springer +2) should fit the gauge. But some tubes are too long.

See the pattern?

If you have tubes that are too long, you can file the feed lips, hammer the bottom lips (see the Atlas mag tuning video on their YT channel) or sell the tubes and buy new ones. Ideally, don't sell them here, sell them on some other tactical timmy forum where people don't care about 0.5 mm differences on their mag tubes.