Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI Rusting

Mikeski

So I picked up a STI Edge last month and it's started to rust in while in the safe. Has the quality gone down or did I just get a bad one? 
Do you have a dehumidifer/desiccant inside your safe?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, jschweg said:

Do you have a dehumidifer/desiccant inside your safe?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have one but it normally needs to be recharged every week. I am going to put one that's plugged in all the time in. It's just funny that I have lots of other pistols that are blued and never had this issue. 

12 hours ago, Mikeski said:

Slide on frame cuts, Rear sight and top of hammer

All the places that are exposed while in the holster, and your arm/hand rubs against while you're walking around. Your in Florida, so the sweat and oils on your skin get on the gun and accelerate the rusting. It happens to my guns when I shoot on a hot, humid day. Best thing is to always wipe down your guns before putting in safe.

It sounds to me like you have very acidic hand sweat. Those places it rusted are more than likely where you touched it and didn't wipe it off. I've had plenty of plain blued guns that have been exposed to all kinds of elements and never rusted. I just wiped them off at night. Get it coated with DLC or hard-chrome and you won't be disappointed.