Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL750 SHELL PLATE NOT ADVANCING last 1/4"

I have a new XL750 and it's been working fine with only about 300 9mm  rds through it. But all of the sudden the shell plate is not advancing the last 1/4" which won't let a new case into position 1 which locks everything up. I've pulled the shell plate few times, made sure no debris is under there and I only tighten the center bolt hand tight and lock down the set screw. I can actually advance the shell plate the last bit with the touch of my finger but that's not really the way it's supposed to work. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

On 2/22/2020 at 7:44 PM, TheGoatMumbler said:

I only tighten the center bolt hand tight and lock down the set screw. 

I think you have the center bolt too tight.  I adjust it until the shell plate has only a very tiny amount of vertical play when you push on it's edge so the bolt isn't really tight at all.   Cycling the press with nothing in the shell plate and it should index freely with no apparent drag. If there is any noticeable resistance, the bolt is too tight.

7 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I think you have the center bolt too tight.  I adjust it until the shell plate has only a very tiny amount of vertical play when you push on it's edge so the bolt isn't really tight at all.   Cycling the press with nothing in the shell plate and it should index freely with no apparent drag. If there is any noticeable resistance, the bolt is too tight.

I run a bearing on mine. This lets me tighten it so it just does move with firm pressure by hand.

I've seen that bearing mod on 650's and it really helps the smoothness of the rotating shell plate. Less powder spillage on pistols rounds by reducing the jerking at the next station. I assume the center bolts are the same from 650 to 750 so I wonder if that bearing work on the 750.

On 2/24/2020 at 2:30 PM, TheGoatMumbler said:

It is. Thanks. Dillon sent out a new one today no charge. I need to go a bit easier on the handle. If something is locked up, don't force it.

They should have sent you an alignment tool also. Make sure you align the platform properly using the alignment tool to prevent any inter fence later on.

4 hours ago, Bmans45 said:

I have a 750

amd have not seen the need for the bearing upgrade on mine so far . I have not had and problems with it spilling . I do use the DAA brushes and not the Dillon pins on mine . 

What are you loading? 9MAJOR with the case 7/8ths full is when you know you have the spillage under control.

On 2/26/2020 at 7:50 PM, Sarge said:

What are you loading? 9MAJOR with the case 7/8ths full is when you know you have the spillage under control.

I am loading 40 so I guess it’s not an issue. I did have some spillage on the 550 though even loading 40 .