Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1a M14, Bolt charging handle

Koppi

I just got one and we went to the range, while shooting the charging handle dislodged itself out of track leaving the bolt to free float--jamming.

Has anyone had this issue? if so, what's the fix?

Thanks

Probably a welded op rod. Hot ammo usually won't cause an op rod to jump out of its track. A bent rod will, or a cracked rod will. The newer rifles (from a out 2005 on) have a commercial op rod that is made in two pieces and then welded together. They can crack and break. They are not very good, and seldom are really square or fit well.  Finding a "new" G.I. rod and getting it fit properly will fix it. If not send it back to Springfield. It will still be a two piece rod, but at least they will make sure it won't jump track.

Thanks for this important information. I just bought it from a dealer so I will take it back to see what they will do.. my guess it the person that owned it could not figure out what the issue was and traded or sold it off cheaply... 

Thanks again!!

JOHN

Your dealer probably won't do much, but Springfield is pretty good about things. Down side is you have to ship them the rifle. If you decide to go the G.I. rod route check Fulton Armory for the op rod. Also the C.M.P. sometimes has M-14 parts. I wouldn't hesitate to get a G.I. rod and just drop it in and run it. B.T.W. you want to grease the heck out of the roller on the bolt and the slot it rides in.

The tab on the back end of the op rod (the part that fits into the receiver rail) can wear over time.  There are guys/businesses that will repair that tab if that is the issue.  They weld on it, machine it back down to the correct size and it's like new again.

As others stated, call SA and tell them what is going on.  The rifles have a life time guarantee but I don't know if that goes for 2nd/3rd owners or not.  They'll let you know.

• 2 weeks later...